Patrik Laine and first two NHL playoff games

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
So it’s unrelated to the stick drying? Because Scheifele does the same thing.

At least in this case yes... refers to this actually, all the way from the 70s:
hqdefault.jpg

DYqxl0wX4AARTHX.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine shows up when it matters. Back to back 3rd stars in games 1 and 2, playing physical, winning the battles on the boards that often define playoff hockey, Laine is playing like a big boy, on a big boys team. Absolutely not surprised given his track record in big games. Laine is simply the BPA. He is 19 for another week. Will be even better when he turns 20.

Reactions: LAINEC

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
It's a violin but it's not really supposed to be interpreted from the "sad violin" angle of how people in North America see it. It's kind of an inside joke between the Finnish players, refers to Timo Nummelin originally I think and there's a bunch of Finnish players in Wild so they have a friendly rivalry going on.
edit: corrected the name
Thanks for the insight.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I actually don’t think he was doing a violin. I’ve noticed several of the Jets have started wiping the middle of the shaft of their sticks with the inside elbow of their other arm. I think that’s what he was doing there. He does it several times a game, usually before the puck is dropped at a stoppage.

Could be wrong though and it’s just a coincidence that both motions look the same...

He was playing the violin. He’s done this in practice before. Ballsy and hilarious, I’d say. I didn’t even catch till I got home from the game and watched the highlights. Cheeky Laine.

Last edited:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He's getting off easy against the subpar Stars missing their #1D.. when going gets tough he might wilt a bit but we will see.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Without Suter they are not a very good team. They do not have the fire power to match the Jets. Don't bring the Leafs into this, you are derailing the thread which is exactly what I was trying not to do.

Wait....you actually posted this? So let's review, you post in a thread about Laine first two goals in the playoffs (to be clear this is the subject of the thread) you then bring up in a attempt to discredit or belittle Laine:

- Wilds aren't a good team, which is false and OT I might add.

- Preds, which are completely OT this time to attempt to belittle the Jets & Laine.

According to you the above is ok to post, but when I counter your OT point above by comparing the Wild (which you brought up which was OT) to another team (Leafs) with four points more then the Wild and only a single position above them in the standings.......you claim I'm derailing the thread and going OT. Your opening post was almost entirely OT and clear agenda to deminish the Jets & Laine. Classic

Here is what we can agree on, Wild without Suter aren't as a good team as they are with him. Jets without our #4D, #6D and our 6/7th best forward aren't as good as team as we are with them. I also agree the Wild can't match our fire power, but few can we ended the season 2nd OA in the standings and 2nd OA in goals scored. With Suter at full health the only way the Wild can win this series was turning it into a defensive battle, clutch grab, physical game......which they have attempted to do but failed so far.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He was playing the violin. He’s done this in practice before. Ballsy and hilarious, I’d say. I didn’t even catch till I got home from the game and watched the highlights. Cheeky Laine.

It was a bit cheeky....which I like......NHL players can be so boring often with their scripted answers etc. But that being said I wouldn't want to see him take that stuff too far either.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Laine's excellent play aside I love the fact that he doesn't take himself too seriously. He takes the game seriously but always seems to be enjoying himself and joking with teammates.

"Yeah my beard is pretty bad but I made a friendly bet with a friend damn it, vanity be damned"

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Wait....you actually posted this? So let's review, you post in a thread about Laine first two goals in the playoffs (to be clear this is the subject of the thread) you then bring up in a attempt to discredit or belittle Laine:

- Wilds aren't a good team, which is false and OT I might add.

- Preds, which are completely OT this time to attempt to belittle the Jets & Laine.

According to you the above is ok to post, but when I counter your OT point above by comparing the Wild (which you brought up which was OT) to another team (Leafs) with four points more then the Wild and only a single position above them in the standings.......you claim I'm derailing the thread and going OT. Your opening post was almost entirely OT and clear agenda to deminish the Jets & Laine. Classic

Here is what we can agree on, Wild without Suter aren't as a good team as they are with him. Jets without our #4D, #6D and our 6/7th best forward aren't as good as team as we are with them. I also agree the Wild can't match our fire power, but few can we ended the season 2nd OA in the standings and 2nd OA in goals scored. With Suter at full health the only way the Wild can win this series was turning it into a defensive battle, clutch grab, physical game......which they have attempted to do but failed so far.

Quite an accusation based on nothing but your own preconceived bias I think. I brought up Nashville because they are likely going to be the 2nd round opponent for the Jets, that is how it is relevant. If you want to try and somehow downplay that the wild are a team who over achieved this year and are missing their best and biggest impact player (I mean Staal is not a 40 goal scorer) and then try and say because the Jets are missing a few depth players is somehow equal is a poor attempt to try and justify the over rating that will inevitability happen in this thread.

And I did say it was impressive and gave him props, however you conveniently ignored.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Quite an accusation based on nothing but your own preconceived bias I think. I brought up Nashville because they are likely going to be the 2nd round opponent for the Jets, that is how it is relevant. If you want to try and somehow downplay that the wild are a team who over achieved this year and are missing their best and biggest impact player (I mean Staal is not a 40 goal scorer) and then try and say because the Jets are missing a few depth players is somehow equal is a poor attempt to try and justify the over rating that will inevitability happen in this thread.

And I did say it was impressive and gave him props, however you conveniently ignored.

I didn’t ignore any of your comments, I just think you went too far calling the Wild a “not very good team” when in fact they are a good team. Your discrediting the Wild and everything they accomplished this year which was impressive. I also very clearly didn’t compare who is missing more due to injuries, bc that’s a subjective matter everyone can judge for themselves.....I just listed who was injured on each team. Not sure how you can claim Staal isn’t a good player.....he literally just scored a crap load of goals......again it’s just about how you posted it. You could say Staal was damn good this year, let’s see if he can sustain it next year which would be fine.....but you can’t discredit what a guy already has done.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I didn’t ignore any of your comments, I just think you went too far calling the Wild a “not very good team” when in fact they are a good team. Your discrediting the Wild and everything they accomplished this year which was impressive. I also very clearly didn’t compare who is missing more due to injuries, bc that’s a subjective matter everyone can judge for themselves.....I just listed who was injured on each team. Not sure how you can claim Staal isn’t a good player.....he literally just scored a crap load of goals......again it’s just about how you posted it. You could say Staal was damn good this year, let’s see if he can sustain it next year which would be fine.....but you can’t discredit what a guy already has done.

He has a career 11.2 shooting % and put up 17.4% this year. It's clear to everyone that while he had a great season, he was very lucky and will not reproduce that again. The Jets are feasting on arguably the easiest first round opponent (outside of Philly) this year.

Good for them, good for Laine. I watched both games and they have been clearly the better team. All I said was before we go proclaiming Laine the greatest ever like many have been doing, let's see him and the Jets do it against a team with a chance at the cup.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
He has a career 11.2 shooting % and put up 17.4% this year. It's clear to everyone that while he had a great season, he was very lucky and will not reproduce that again. The Jets are feasting on arguably the easiest first round opponent (outside of Philly) this year.

Good for them, good for Laine. I watched both games and they have been clearly the better team. All I said was before we go proclaiming Laine the greatest ever like many have been doing, let's see him and the Jets do it against a team with a chance at the cup.

He might not keep that shooting percentage up but he’s in his second season and he’s still 19, it’s very possible that as other aspects of his game improve he is able to keep that level of scoring up.

Also Minnesota was 8th in the league in the toughest division, nowhere near a bad team.

Reactions: LAINEC

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
He might not keep that shooting percentage up but he’s in his second season and he’s still 19, it’s very possible that as other aspects of his game improve he is able to keep that level of scoring up.

Also Minnesota was 8th in the league in the toughest division, nowhere near a bad team.

I was talking about Eric Staal not Laine. I don't think anyone questions Laine's shot when he is given the space to use it, but some people do question how he will do when he faces good teams who take away his time and space.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Before the playoffs it was let's see the Jets win a game. Now it's let's see them win a game against someone better than Minnesota. What sad lives you people live.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Before the playoffs it was let's see the Jets win a game. Now it's let's see them win a game against someone better than Minnesota. What sad lives you people live.

Sorry can you quote me where I said let's see them win a game? I knew the Jets were the real deal. It's no secret they have one of the easier paths to the conference finals vs other teams.. However we know that will be ignored when people talk about the playoffs if certain teams are eliminated and others aren't.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
I was talking about Eric Staal not Laine. I don't think anyone questions Laine's shot when he is given the space to use it, but some people do question how he will do when he faces good teams who take away his time and space.
Fair enough. If those good teams can take his time and space without leaving someone else open, the Jets will have a hard time. If not, he will open the door for others (which has been the case against Minnesota, he has been on the ice for 5 of the 7 Wpg goals).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad