Patrik Laine and first two NHL playoff games

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
That is what most of the Finns told to everyone that he just loves big games and pressure. Incredible. I don't remember him playing a bad playoff game against men. Even if he doesn't score he has done everything he can to help the team win.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
19 yr old kid has been great defensively, physical, board battles and absolutely clutch offensively with 2 big goals and assist in two games so far. The kid could of had a couple more goals but Doob has stood on his head so far. His team is 2-0 in the playoffs so far and dominated both games which he has added to.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
For sure. Although the one knock someone could give is that the Wild are not a very good team, and it will be interesting to see how he does when he faces an actual cup threat like Nashville for example. However no one can point to him in this series and say he hasn't been a factor.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I haven't been able to watch quite every minute of both games due to them being so late, but even outside of his production I think he's played very well. Has had many chances, some good plays and relatively few blunders. Several times he seems to get a chance out of the blue off some random broken plays which would indicate good IQ / positional awareness.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Imagine if a management had been wise they could have traded that 1st overall pick in 2016 for something valuable in return and still get Laine.
incredulous.gif

The belief around here is often that Leafs fans bring Matthews up into Laine threads. Well, here are two non-Leafs fans bringing up Matthews in a Laine thread.

And we're good with having Matthews, thank you.

Nov 24, 2006
Someone please post his two cellys. On a phone and can’t. The one where he tries to fist bump the Wild on goal 1 and does the violin on goal 2.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Let each team just be happy with their guy. After their rookie seasons it doesn’t matter to me. Both fantastic players. Why always the pissing match? Move on.
A Jets fan brought up Matthews haha.

And yes I agree. It's been fun watching Laine these playoffs.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Someone please post his two cellys. On a phone and can’t. The one where he tries to fist bump the Wild on goal 1 and does the violin on goal 2.

I actually don’t think he was doing a violin. I’ve noticed several of the Jets have started wiping the middle of the shaft of their sticks with the inside elbow of their other arm. I think that’s what he was doing there. He does it several times a game, usually before the puck is dropped at a stoppage.

Could be wrong though and it’s just a coincidence that both motions look the same...

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Jets game is so much fun to watch, extremely fast and physical, well rounded with the stars shining.

The type of team every GM hopes to build.

Reactions: Cellee

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For sure. Although the one knock someone could give is that the Wild are not a very good team, and it will be interesting to see how he does when he faces an actual cup threat like Nashville for example. However no one can point to him in this series and say he hasn't been a factor.

Wild aren't a very good team?

Leafs ended at 7th OA and 105 points

Wild ended 8th OA and 101 points, Wild had amongst the fewest regulation losses in the NHL this year. Sure they are missing Suter their #1D but the Jets are also missing their #4D and #6D this post season and are forced to play our 8th & 9th dmen which is also a huge lose (and top 9 forward MP now). Wild are far from a "not a very good team" unless you also would consider the Leafs a not a very good team. Wild are a very good defensive and gritty team with a very good goalie.

I will agree the Preds are the best team in the NHL and will be a massive test to the Jets if both teams make to the 2nd round.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Wild aren't a very good team?

Leafs ended at 7th OA and 105 points

Wild ended 8th OA and 101 points, Wild had amongst the fewest regulation losses in the NHL this year. Sure they are missing Suter their #1D but the Jets are also missing their #4D and #6D this post season and are forced to play our 8th & 9th dmen which is also a huge lose (and top 9 forward MP now). Wild are far from a "not a very good team" unless you also would consider the Leafs a not a very good team. Wild are a very good defensive and gritty team with a very good goalie.

I will agree the Preds are the best team in the NHL and will be a massive test to the Jets if both teams make to the 2nd round.

Without Suter they are not a very good team. They do not have the fire power to match the Jets. Don't bring the Leafs into this, you are derailing the thread which is exactly what I was trying not to do.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
I actually don’t think he was doing a violin. I’ve noticed several of the Jets have started wiping the middle of the shaft of their sticks with the inside elbow of their other arm. I think that’s what he was doing there. He does it several times a game, usually before the puck is dropped at a stoppage.

Could be wrong though and it’s just a coincidence that both motions look the same...

It's a violin but it's not really supposed to be interpreted from the "sad violin" angle of how people in North America see it. It's kind of an inside joke between the Finnish players, refers to Timo Nummelin originally I think and there's a bunch of Finnish players in Wild so they have a friendly rivalry going on.
edit: corrected the name

Last edited:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
It's a violin but it's not really supposed to be interpreted from the "sad violin" angle of how people in North America see it. It's kind of an inside joke between the Finnish players, refers to Teppo Numminen originally I think and there's a bunch of Finnish players in Wild so they have a friendly rivalry going on.

So it’s unrelated to the stick drying? Because Scheifele does the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad