Out of town thread: Where the grass is ALWAYS greener!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
An extra million per or an extra year over Dallas' deal. Given the current state of the core, it had to be done.

And what would have been the worst case scenario? Pay something like a 2nd round pick for a team that is trying to reach the floor to take him 3-4 years from now? Paying only that to get a good 3-4 years of Radu is a total no brainer.

This was really a no-lose scenario, even if we overpayed a bit.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
What the biggest contact you give Radulov if you are the GM?
7x6.5-7

"When I put everything on the table and I saw what I have, it was easy decision to go to Dallas," Radulov said. "With Montreal, I don't think we even got that close, in my opinion.
"The money was basically at the same level. For me it was more the term because I really wanted five years at least on my deal and I want to play and not worry about it. Just play hard and try to win."

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bonehead head move not signing Rads. But lets not kid ourselves. Remember the habs couldnt even win a round WITH Rads. Its not like MB signing him would have made the team a contender.

Seeing him on a line with Drouin wouldnt have hurt though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deluded Puck

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bonehead head move not signing Rads. But lets not kid ourselves. Remember the habs couldnt even win a round WITH Rads. Its not like MB signing him would have made the team a contender.

Seeing him on a line with Drouin wouldnt have hurt though.

By that logic the tram should not have acquired Drouin and Weber, as those are win now moves.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
By that logic the tram should not have acquired Drouin and Weber, as those are win now moves.

As my post said it was a bone head move NOT signing him.

But in the big picture ....the sky aint falling. This team is going nowhere until long after MB and the damage he continues to cause is gone.

But yea , the signing of Rads might have given Molson 2 or even 3 Bell Center play off games. (opposed to zero)

Its a deal that should have been made. Especially since the Canadiens seem to be operating from the old Maple Leafs managing guide.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I hear ya.

Except Weber for Subban was a wash.

Weber is no more a "win now" player than PK.

I agree, but Bergevin thought that he'd be getting a considerable upgrade in the short term.

I think that this would be a strong roster with Radulov and Markov.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
And what would have been the worst case scenario? Pay something like a 2nd round pick for a team that is trying to reach the floor to take him 3-4 years from now? Paying only that to get a good 3-4 years of Radu is a total no brainer.

This was really a no-lose scenario, even if we overpayed a bit.

Yeah I don't really understand why more people don't see it this way. Especially considering the narrative I have seen here about how teams will be lining up to take Weber later in his career because they'll need the big contract to reach the floor.

I hear ya.

Except Weber for Subban was a wash.

Weber is no more a "win now" player than PK.

No but Weber is definitely a "lose later" kind of guy.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I agree, but Bergevin thought that he'd be getting a considerable upgrade in the short term.

Just having Rads on the team would enable us to have two dangerous playmakers on two separate lines. Or what the hell, together with Chucky. Really don't see the point of 8M+ cap space, we're not getting Tavares so why bother on that scale. Sign Rads, keep some change for the TDL since it's cheaper to fit added salaries then. Get a 2nd/3rd line mercenary a la Vanek and contend.

But nah, dude is pulling his highlight reels in Dallas this year.

Reactions: DXStriker

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
teuvo teravainen with 3 goals and an assist last night. We dodged another bullet thanks to the great vision of Marc BargainBin!

Reactions: DAChampion

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

How much stronger?

Cup contending stronger?

Or just stronger but still not good enough to get past the 1st round stronger?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How much stronger?

Cup contending stronger?

Or just stronger but still not good enough to get past the 1st round stronger?
I don't think cup contending stronger, but you would have to think with the close games against the Rangers and the trouble we had scoring, maybe adding Drouin to Radulov might have been the difference between winning and losing round 1.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think cup contending stronger, but you would have to think with the close games against the Rangers and the trouble we had scoring, maybe adding Drouin to Radulov might have been the difference between winning and losing round 1.
Sure...that's fair.

But that series was so close, I don't think a single player was the difference.

But I'm more referring to this years roster, add Radulov to it...are we *that* much better?

I'm not personally convinced we are.

Of course, the alternative of nothing is not better than not re-signing Radulov.

You won't see me arguing that.

But Radulov doesn't change the fortunes of this team alone. He's a complimentary player, I think he's showing that in Dallas right now.

Yes, he's hot right now...credit to him, he's playing with some pretty good players and racking up points on the best PP in the league, but the Stars are still a borderline playoff team, they're not scoring more goals than last year, they're on par.

He's not a difference making player...he's a strong complimentary player, and IMO, the Habs have a lot of those types of players.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
teuvo teravainen with 3 goals and an assist last night. We dodged another bullet thanks to the great vision of Marc BargainBin!

Terevainen has 13 points in 16 games this year and was basically available for free, or at least cheaper than Andrew Shaw.

Imagine this team with Radulov, Terevainen, Drouin, Markov, Subban, Eller, instead of Shaw, Alzner, Weber, Plekanec:

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Radulov (wow)
Pacioretty-Eller-Terevainen (wow)
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher (wow)
Hudon-DeLaRose-Andrighetto (wow)

Subban-Markov (wow)
Emelin-Beaulieu (lol)
More lol.

The team would be much better.

This hasn't been a good two years for Bergevin.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah I don't really understand why more people don't see it this way. Especially considering the narrative I have seen here about how teams will be lining up to take Weber later in his career because they'll need the big contract to reach the floor.

No but Weber is definitely a "lose later" kind of guy.

Is he more of a lose later than Subban?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He's not a difference making player...he's a strong complimentary player, and IMO, the Habs have a lot of those types of players.
Respectfully disagree. He's an engine out there and he makes things happen. IMO, he's as much of a difference maker as a middle of the road #1 center like Johansen for example.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Respectfully disagree. He's an engine out there and he makes things happen. IMO, he's as much of a difference maker as a middle of the road #1 center like Johansen for example.

Interesting you mention both players as I tend to find they're both overrated (which doesn't mean their bad player, just rated-too-highly).

I do agree he's an engine out there, his attitude is infectious and i'll never question how hard he works on the ice.

But I think he's the kind of player whose a strong complimentary player. He's not the kind of player I'd make my highest paid forward and essentially eat up the rest of the cap I have and handcuff my team when I have bigger needs.

Perhaps if MB had done a better job of building this roster, I'd have a different point of view as it relates to Radulov on this team.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Terevainen has 13 points in 16 games this year and was basically available for free, or at least cheaper than Andrew Shaw.

Imagine this team with Radulov, Terevainen, Drouin, Markov, Subban, Eller, instead of Shaw, Alzner, Weber, Plekanec:

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Radulov (wow)
Pacioretty-Eller-Terevainen (wow)
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher (wow)
Hudon-DeLaRose-Andrighetto (wow)

Subban-Markov (wow)
Emelin-Beaulieu (lol)
More lol.

The team would be much better.

This hasn't been a good two years for Bergevin.

Jesus Christ that forward group looks like a cup contender if I ever saw one and it's not like Bergevin had to go out of his way to get it. Defense needs work but pick up a Dman at the deadline and we'd be good to go!

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad