Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Leafs-The Return of Eakins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This made me laugh my ****ing ass off

Sorry, but if you want to see effort look at the Calgary Flames right now (not saying they'll keep it up for an 82 game season), but you can't say that about the Oil this far. We outplayed Vancouver in that 6-2 beating? Really?

I'm a Leaf fan and I saw the game on Thursaday, you guys definitely didn't out play the Habs, if the Oilers want to see effort look at what the Flames did tonight. Up by one late in the game and guys were going down and blocking shot after shot after shot. I counted at least 3 blocked shots on one shift when NJ was putting pressure on. Thats what you call effort, thats winning hockey.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
I'm a Leaf fan and I saw the game on Thursaday, you guys definitely didn't out play the Habs, if the Oilers want to see effort look at what the Flames did tonight. Up by one late in the game and guys were going down and blocking shot after shot after shot. I counted at least 3 blocked shots on one shift when NJ was putting pressure on. Thats what you call effort, thats winning hockey.

the game was tied on that shift.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/11/bernier-gives-maple-leafs-great-confidence

FRANSON WILL PLAY

Cody Franson won’t win any beauty contests, but he’ll make it to Saturday night’s contest against the Oilers.

Knocked nose-first into the stanchion at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on Thursday night, the Toronto defenceman departed the ice, leaving a puddle of blood. But after a difficult flight home where the cabin pressure increased his discomfort, Franson joined the team on Friday morning wearing a full bubble cage to protect five-to-10 stitches. He hopes to shed it by game time, pending medical clearance.

His biggest worry — a concussion from the hit delivered by Nashville’s Mike Fisher — was not detected.

“All the symptoms are pretty good, it’s just a matter of pain,” Franson said.

Nothing had come from the league as of Friday afternoon about a possible suspension for Fisher, who quickly texted his old teammate after the game to make sure he was recovering. Franson had just thrown the puck up ice and was unable to get his hands back out to protect being ridden into the protruding pole.

“I had no choice but to go face-first,” Franson said. “But that’s not Fisher’s style. He didn’t mean to do that. It’s over with as far as I’m concerned.”

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Screw Eakins.

Think we're gonna steam roll them. They will score though. Think Bernie let's in a few against that offence.

Leafs 5 - 3

Kessel
JVR
Phaneuf
Raymond
Kadri

Yakupov
Hall
Hemsky

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Woke up at 5:30 this morning for no reason.....couldn't figure it out. I realize now that I am totally pumped for this game!!

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
Haven't seen much of Edmonton. So don't know what to expect.

Can't remember too many Saturday games vs Canadian teams that we dominated, I guess with the exception of that mtl game last season.

Also, I think because of Eberle's draft position people give him a certain potential and value, but if you look at the facts, Colton Orr is clearly head and shoulders above him.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Can't remember too many Saturday games vs Canadian teams that we dominated, I guess with the exception of that mtl game last season.

Also, I think because of Eberle's draft position people give him a certain potential and value, but if you look at the facts, Colton Orr is clearly head and shoulders above him.

Well that goes without saying. Who would you want to have your back in a bar fight?

Orr>>>>Eberle.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So, it seemed like the logical thing to do.

Naturally. :)
(but now that you brought it up, I'm going to assume that he doesn't. I THINK i've heard Bowen call James, "Jim." once or twice, but that doesn't mean anything. I know JVR hates being called Jim he said it in an interview.

Which series? Love TNG! (and the movies)

for me personally - I love DS9 the best. (then TNG, Original Movies). but I'm trying to get into the Original series. (that's my mum's favourite).

I was assuming the original because of the James/Jim thing but I could be wrong.

it was the episode where Spock thought Kirk was dead - and then he walks in and Spock grabs his shoulders and goes "JIM!"

I'm curious to see David Tennant.... I mean Dallas Eakins strategy against the Leafs?

GLG!!!!

Broadchurch-david-tennant.jpg

teehee.
love Broadchurch. Love Tennant.

Hey guys, Oilers fan here. Excited for the game tomorrow! Our record is 1-3, but we've played much better than it suggests. Other than the Vancouver game, we outplayed the opposition in all of our games, and have played better than at any point last year. Losses are due to a combo of defensive breakdowns and weak goaltending.

However, it seems Eakins has this team's attention, because we're forechecking hard, shooting, putting in a ton of effort, and actually hitting. I hope you guys don't expect an easy W just cause of our record! Hoping for a great game.

that should make you scared. We play better when the other team works harder.

I still laugh at the people who wanted to hire Eakins over RC. To me Carlyle has developed and influenced way more players than Eakins did.

Watch for Kadri to have a big game for revenge on Eakins for calling him fat.

:laugh:

for me I always find that we don't do well against the Western Cdn Teams that I can recall. if we win, it "squeak" it out. But we've not seen THIS team go up against Western Canada, so "Allons-y, Leafs!"

daner

Feb 18, 2009
Does anyone happen to know if their are any ceremonies planned at the game tonight/prior?

Very much appreciated, thanks!

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Gameday skate will be broadcasted on the Leafs website from 10:30AM - 12:30PM.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We should be able to take this one, but the Oilers always seem to give us trouble at the ACC. Bernier will likely be the difference maker.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
This is going to be a fun game. There is a lack of tough stay-at-home D on both sides. Going to be a lot of rushes up with the puck

Mr Scarface*

This is going to be a fun game. There is a lack of tough stay-at-home D on both sides. Going to be a lot of rushes up with the puck
Yeah you got that right. High scoring game is what is expected. Leafs will prevail, because of the Oilers being one of the softest teams in the NHL and us being the hardest. Carlyle will be squatting them Oilers hard.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
This one is shaping up to be a night full of pond hockey. Carlyle will not be a happy camper.

I have a feeling the Leafs offense is going to expose their goaltending tonight. Kadri and some of the other young guys should be motivated playing against their old coach too.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
With all of the Oiler fans on the main board telling us how crappy our players are....and how we are, and I quote, "significantly" worse this year....can we please just steamroll these creampuffs tonight....please??

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
With all of the Oiler fans on the main board telling us how crappy our players are....and how we are, and I quote, "significantly" worse this year....can we please just steamroll these creampuffs tonight....please??

Gotta go take a look.

I haven't laughed this morning yet.

Edit: where on the main board?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Gotta go take a look.

I haven't laughed this morning yet.

Edit: where on the main board?

Oilers winger thread. Last page. Guy named horseradish says we will be picking 5-10 in the draft and our roster is worse than last years.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
This one is shaping up to be a night full of pond hockey. Carlyle will not be a happy camper.

I have a feeling the Leafs offense is going to expose their goaltending tonight. Kadri and some of the other young guys should be motivated playing against their old coach too.

Do the players really care that much about going up against a former coach or a former team? Or is that kind of thing just a product of the media looking for a storyline every game?

BayStreetBullies*

Oilers winger thread. Last page. Guy named horseradish says we will be picking 5-10 in the draft and our roster is worse than last years.

That's just cruel. At least curse us with the 1st overall pick so we can draft Sam Reinhart. :sarcasm:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Do the players really care that much about going up against a former coach or a former team? Or is that kind of thing just a product of the media looking for a storyline every game?

I think it depends, I think a guy like Grabo would like to play well against TO/Carlyle, but as far as Eakins, don't think there is any ill will there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad