Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Leafs-The Return of Eakins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Enjoy the free win, Leaf fans.

The last time the Leafs thought they had a free win was May and we all know how that turned out. There is no free win for this team. We will have to earn every single point this season.

Tyler Biggs*

We finally have good goaltending. Only took since Eddy the Eagle to find one....We need Fraser back and then add Clarkson and wow this team is going to be hard to beat!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thankfully the Smurfs are out of town so I can watch this one tonight. I'd rather be in the building but had to take one for the Team and spend the weekend in Montreal.

Interesting to see how long Bernier can keep this up.

Tyler Biggs*

We've had good goaltending since Reimer appeared on the scene 3 seasons ago

Yeah, these last few seasons (except 2011/2012 season) we have received good goaltending finally since the Belfour days.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'm genuinely worried about tonight. Leafs better not take them lightly.

Overachieving Leafs, underachieving Oilers, has the potential for a upset I fear.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Enjoy the free win, Leaf fans.

I wish. There are no free wins in the NHL, especially for the Leafs.

Our play at home leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know why the Leafs forget how to play hockey to start the game every time at home..

Hurt's quote on Carlyle saying "you done screwing around yet?" might be true :laugh:

I hope for a win because the Oilers are down right now but knowing the Leafs...we could win against 5-0 teams and lose against 0-5 teams.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I wouldn't say beating Montreal, Ottawa, Nashville, and Philly is overachieving.

Did the Leafs deserve to win those games? Montreal and maybe Ottawa. The other was all because of the goaltending. Their record isn't really indicative of how they played, thus, they're overachieving.

BayStreetBullies*

Did the Leafs deserve to win those games? Montreal and maybe Ottawa. The other was all because of the goaltending. Their record isn't really indicative of how they played, thus, they're overachieving.

What you really mean is that Corsi/Fenwick is not indicative of how they played.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Leafs won because they are opportunistic. They score on most of their chances and rely on their goalie to bail out the defenseman mistakes,

Remember the back in 2006-2010 where the leafs would always outshot there opponents yet they would always lose? Roloson 60 saves performance against the leafs is one example.

Having an amazing goalie and many finisher on your teams is one of the key parts of being a contender.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Last time I checked, goaltenders are part of the team. Thus, they are not overachieving, they just have great goaltending.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We're not even playing with a full team yet...that is scary folks...I've learned to keep my expectations in check, but....I'm starting to dream a little.

♬I dreamed a dream of time gone by...♬

I think this is what a lot of people are ignoring. we're playing pretty well-ish for a team that is missing 5 key regulars (okay 4 if you discount McLaren but if you note we're not super duper physical with the hitting or anything else like that - I think we're missing him more than we're noticing/appreciating). we're not really playing OUR game.

I think the east should be very, very worried once we get everyone else and the chemistry is all clicking the damage we will do.

We finally have good goaltending. Only took since Eddy the Eagle to find one....We need Fraser back and then add Clarkson and wow this team is going to be hard to beat!

Reimer says hi. Let's not discredit him.

I wish. There are no free wins in the NHL, especially for the Leafs.

Our play at home leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know why the Leafs forget how to play hockey to start the game every time at home..

Hurt's quote on Carlyle saying "you done screwing around yet?" might be true :laugh:

I hope for a win because the Oilers are down right now but knowing the Leafs...we could win against 5-0 teams and lose against 0-5 teams.

we need this as a meme. stat.

but it is mystifying why we play so much better on the road, and our home performance (even if we win - isn't that awesome)

this irritates me.
in an 82 game schedule no team is going to deserve all the games they won, or deserve to lose all the games they lose. there are going to be games that are stolen, or games that was just crappy/due to luck.

for YEARS we couldn't steal a game even if the other team didn't bother to show up. now we're stealing games and it's like "well they are overachiving." their overall play is getting better.

Punn

Sep 24, 2011
Brampton, ON
I feel as if it's going to be one of those games where we get absolutely destroyed or we absolutely destroy them...

BayStreetBullies*

No I don't. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the Leafs are fortunate to be 4-1. If you can't see that, well I can't help you.

I see, so because the Leafs are 4-1 they must be overachieving and there's no other plausible explanation. Thank you Mirtle. :sarcasm:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm genuinely worried about tonight. Leafs better not take them lightly.

Overachieving Leafs, underachieving Oilers, has the potential for a upset I fear.

I don't think they're under-achieving much. They're not a playoff team, despite all the espn hype they get.

BayStreetBullies*

we need this as a meme. stat.

You-done-screwing.jpg

Do-that-again.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad