Post-Game Talk: Oilers 8 - Vegas 2

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'd still like to see Drai on that line, with Pulju moving up. But whatever works. Just whatever works use it, and keep on using it. I'm not complaining about the lines anymore. Todd's the coach and he's gonna do what he feels is right, and is hardly gonna listen to some random dude on an internet message board.

I've liked that idea for awhile too but i know why he won't. Puljujarvi is gaining traction and i'm sure he wants him to have stability. Also McDavid is playing tougher minutes this year and i don't think McLellan thinks he's ready for it defensively and knows offense will be tougher to come by too. By putting Drai on that line he has a guy who can win draws, help out a ton in the dzone as a second center, and give McDavid the best chance to continue to produce at a rate expected of him. Basically i think he want's to protect the two youngest players on the team.

Reactions: Ballz

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just casually looking up some stats...Mark Letestu is -9 in 18 games and Draisaitl is +7 in 14 games.

That's a -41 pace for Letestu and a +41 pace for Drai. On the same team.

Thank goodness our bottom six showed some signs of life this game because... woof. If you had any doubt what was holding this team back before seeing that...

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Just casually looking up some stats...Mark Letestu is -9 in 18 games and Draisaitl is +7 in 14 games.

That's a -41 pace for Letestu and a +41 pace for Drai. On the same team.

Thank goodness our bottom six showed some signs of life this game because... woof. If you had any doubt what was holding this team back before seeing that...

The 4th line has earned all of those 5 minute a night games they have had this season.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I've liked that idea for awhile too but i know why he won't. Puljujarvi is gaining traction and i'm sure he wants him to have stability. Also McDavid is playing tougher minutes this year and i don't think McLellan thinks he's ready for it defensively and knows offense will be tougher to come by too. By putting Drai on that line he has a guy who can win draws, help out a ton in the dzone as a second center, and give McDavid the best chance to continue to produce at a rate expected of him. Basically i think he want's to protect the two youngest players on the team.

Some good points. I guess in a season or two JP will be experienced enough to be flying with Connor, once he's learned the ropes, with both speedsters giving opposing Dmen nightmares. It will very likely have to wait until about that time.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As pleasantly surprised and relieved as I am to see the Oilers finally have an offensive explosion this year, it does bum me out a bit to see Puljujarvi not get any points in an 8 goal outburst, and McLellan giving him the least amount of ice time.

I just wish he'd have that big night that cements his place on the team, but it wasn't to be tonight.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Just hoping the Oil put the final dagger in the topsy turvy world.

No Vegas Knights vs New Jersey Devils cup final. No Dorsett Richard Trophy. Let's watch talent and the law of averages prevail.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Also, I hope Khaira's arm (or whatever it was) is okay. That's two very strong games from him in a row. He needs to keep that going. When your depth players chip in I think it really helps morale and motivation for the guys playing on lines further up.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Special Teams stats....

PK....100% (killed off all 4)
PP....100% (3/3)

And one shorty.

This was as dominant a game as it gets. Men against boys.

Despite Drew trying his darnedest to pump up Vegas' tires, they sure looked like pretenders tonight.

Owned. I love it.

And who is this Nuge and where has he been for 3 years? The dude's fire.

Reactions: Aerrol

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Letestu was minus 1...

He looked disinterested in truly getting the puck from that Vegas player on the boards for their 2nd goal. Plus didn't that leave his man open? I'll have to watch it again. But yeah, he's never been anything than a plug (other that being setup for some set plays on the PP last season and, to his credit, burying a decent amount, but has been mostly useless this season, as he was the season before last). I guess we could do worse. We could still have Jokinen and play him in Letestu's place.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Breakout game for the special teams and a bunch of players. Desperately needed win where it’s time to battle one of the best in the blues. Inching closer to .500 again. If they can be that or better come Christmas they have a chance moving forward to make the wild card I think

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Some good points. I guess in a season or two JP will be experienced enough to be flying with Connor, once he's learned the ropes, with both speedsters giving opposing Dmen nightmares. It will very likely have to wait until about that time.

IMO, long term Yamamoto plays with McD (as a cerebral rush player) and Puljujarvi with Drai (as big, fast cycle players) but this is just my speculation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad