Post-Game Talk: Oilers 8 - Vegas 2

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
You kind of wish you could put some of these goals in your pocket and have house chips for the next game. Always nice to get off the snide. Lots of fun tonight and my only thing is the 8 goals kind of magnified what a lame goal song we have. I know its been two years (I think) with this one but man, can they get anything better? please? I sometimes turn the volume down so I don't have to hear the goal song. maybe the crowd could be louder;)

This is the 3rd fun night at Rogers so far this season, there needs to be many more like this.

no that wasn't me at the game, I'm far better looking..
You have to give a guy credit when he can find something to complain about in a 8-2 win.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Is it just me or has Letestu gained weight, not in a good way? he seems heavier, slower, can't cover, and -1 in an 8-2 game lol. The guy though all season is a tirefire at EV. He's nowhere close to earning his pay. One of the worst players on the team. But McLellan has wood for him so you know he gets his minutes.

Nice to see it happening for Khaira, needs to continue to work like that and not take any game for granted. When he is determined to get pucks to the net he's a handful. But he needs to be doing that every game. He at least is earning starts.
2 things

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Best oiler moment since the fly!

FlyCam.jpg
Hello, I is Johnny Fly, I eat puck, buzz, buzz, too many men penalty..

Reactions: Aerrol

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What can I say, I'm a music critic too. But do people actually like that goal song? I always prefer one that rocks or gets people pumped or something. I don't even know who its by tbh.

ps your friend sounds pretty cool..;)

I actually don't mind the song in comparison to what it used to be (Stadium Love by Metric) but yeah I agree there are definitely better choices.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
What if OEL becomes an option in exchange? Phoenix is desperate at the moment and I think there's a deal to be made:

OEL+Christian Dvorak for RNH+Nurse
McDavid confessed the hardest defeceman he ever played against was Nurse, I wouldn't equip a team in our division with any of those guys.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What can I say, I'm a music critic too. But do people actually like that goal song? I always prefer one that rocks or gets people pumped or something. I don't even know who its by tbh.

ps your friend sounds pretty cool..;)

Bah, its still better than and

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
The goal song is Attack by Stab Thee. I for one like it. Not 'download the mp3 and rock that jam' like it, but 'our version of Cheslea Dagger' like it. I'm sure if they don't already, our divisional opponents are going to loathe it like Vancouver, Nashville and St Loius loathe Chelsea Dagger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bring back

As the goal song. Why not, with Stranger Things everything 80s is new again.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
The goal song is Attack by Stab Thee. I for one like it. Not 'download the mp3 and rock that jam' like it, but 'our version of Cheslea Dagger' like it. I'm sure if they don't already, our divisional opponents are going to loathe it like Vancouver, Nashville and St Loius loathe Chelsea Dagger.
It's actually Stab, by Thee Attacks. Easy mix up.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
McDavid confessed the hardest defeceman he ever played against was Nurse, I wouldn't equip a team in our division with any of those guys.

BS. McDavid’s just being nice to a guy on his team. Take your pick: Keith, Doughty, Hedman, Josi, Giordano, Suter, Pieterangelo all miles ahead of Nurse when it comes to playing D. Laughable that Nurse would be in that category.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
BS. McDavid’s just being nice to a guy on his team. Take your pick: Keith, Doughty, Hedman, Josi, Giordano, Suter, Pieterangelo all miles ahead of Nurse when it comes to playing D. Laughable that Nurse would be in that category.
I don't think Connor was talking about defensive ability. Nurse is a punisher. He doesn't give an inch. Hard to play against doesn't just mean skill, it also has to do with toughness. Nurse might not in the same league as any of the guys you mentioned, but he has an edge to him

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013

Nurse (in juniors) was the only guy who could both keep up with McDavid and also be big enough to make it hurt when he hit him.

I'm a huge fanboy but I do consider Nurse our best skating defenseman

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Fun game.

Klefbom maybe getting a little mojo back.
Khaira looked like a player.
RNH playing with some creativity and conviction.
Pool party playing physical and assertive.
Top guys produced.
Clean breakouts.
Everyone looked good.
Hopefully they can use this to get on a run.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Nurse (in juniors) was the only guy who could both keep up with McDavid and also be big enough to make it hurt when he hit him.

I'm a huge fanboy but I do consider Nurse our best skating defenseman
Nothing wrong with that, OEL would be a tremendous add, tbh as much as i like Klef, it would be a lot better if we could get OEL for him. Not including a player of Nuge's caliber though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I think Mcdavid said that back in Jr before he was an Oiler. At that point he hadn’t faced any NHL defensemen.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Nurse probably skates backwards faster than half those guys do forward, and McDavid already put them in a highlight reel. You don't get faster from 18 year old to 20 you just get stronger :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just want to say we have to do everything possible to keep Nuge. I think that means we lose Maroon.

You can keep both but Maroon has to be willing to accept a cap hit of $4 mill per .... which miiiiiiiight be doable if you tack on an extra year to his deal with a low cap number (thus bringing down the AAV).

You have to let Strome walk. And possibly dump Kassian too. But I guess ... why not? Why keep lesser players, keep your best players instead.

Maroon (4) McDavid (12.5) Yamamoto (0.925)
Lucic (6) RNH (6) Draisaitl (8.5)
blank (1) Caggiula (1.8) Puljujarvi (0.925)
Khaira (0.67) Malone (1) Slepyshev (1.5)
blank (0.8)

Larsson (4.1) Klefbom (4.1)
Nurse (3.75) Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4) Bear (0.9)
Gryba (0.9)

Pouliot Buyout (1.3)

Talbot (4.1)
Broissoit (1.25)

= approx $75 million (est cap at $77 million)

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just want to say we have to do everything possible to keep Nuge. I think that means we lose Maroon.
Without a doubt Nuge needs to stay by any means necessary. I'm ok losing Maroon if thats the case, as I'm really not willing to give him anything more than 3.5M AAV and 3 years max (we'll see what Chia does). He's just not something you can reasonably fit beyond that and really his value is far too reliant on McDavid to justify more than that.

Back to the topic of RNH, if this team can get 3 top 9 wingers out of Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, and Benson (please stay healthy, the talents there) then they could be laughing. They could run something like this in a year or 2 even if they lose Maroon:

Caggiula(or a cheap UFA)-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Benson-RNH-Yamamoto

Combinations could be different, but there's potential for the 3 scoring lines to work for a few years before bigger contracts force some hard decisions. I have faith that Pulju and Yam will live up to this, the question mark is Benson.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Without a doubt Nuge needs to stay by any means necessary. I'm ok losing Maroon if thats the case, as I'm really not willing to give him anything more than 3.5M AAV and 3 years max (we'll see what Chia does). He's just not something you can reasonably fit beyond that and really his value is far too reliant on McDavid to justify more than that.

Back to the topic of RNH, if this team can get 3 top 9 wingers out of Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, and Benson (please stay healthy, the talents there) then they could be laughing. They could run something like this in a year or 2 even if they lose Maroon:

Caggiula(or a cheap UFA)-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Benson-RNH-Yamamoto

Combinations could be different, but there's potential for the 3 scoring lines to work for a few years before bigger contracts force some hard decisions. I have faith that Pulju and Yam will live up to this, the question mark is Benson.

Hate to say it but that 2nd line doesn't look good. Lets get two reliably good lines, right now we have only 1.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hate to say it but that 2nd line doesn't look good. Lets get two reliably good lines, right now we have only 1.
Definitely depends on Slepy's progression and where Lucic is at in a year or 2. That line was great in the playoffs which is why I assembled it like that. Benson is the wildcard to making that work as you need 2 good to great players per line to make it work. If Yamamoto and Puljujarvi can both be very good players (I think they can), and Benson + Lucic can be alright to good then you pretty much have that given that the 3 centres are all very good players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think honestly Charelli (or whoever is the GM) in about 2 years is going to have to ask Lucic to waive his NMC for the good of the team and see if a deal can be made if the Oilers retain some salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad