Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
On WhatsApp on my iphone, where does it go if I hit "export"? This is a work phone others had before me. So I am worried it auto-sends it somewhere since when I hit it, it just starts processing and I hit cancel since I don't want everything just zooming to wherever.
It stores to your iCloud.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Ok, after my external HD complaints I went ahead and bought a 3TB Time Capsule (used, 2013 model) - assuming I didn't get ripped off by this jerk from Kijiji - when I go to set it up whats the best way to transfer all my files (pictures, movies, etc) from my external drive to this new one?

Will I be able to store movies and such on the Time Capsule - wirelessly access it to my MacBook thats connected via HDMI to my TV and play them?

Sadly, without even having a chance to hook it up I feel like I keep throwing good money behind bad in my quest to have a few TB of space for my MBP.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Since the last itunes update, my itunes hasn't registered if I have a device plugged in, meaning I can't sync. I've done everything that the itunes websites and other sites I found say to do to work around it and it still doesn't detect them. Anybody have this issue and know a workaround?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So now the rumour is incremental update, no design change for the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus and then the more premium iPhone 8 with OLED and no bezels all released at once next year.

God that would suck but it seems so likely to happen.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
So now the rumour is incremental update, no design change for the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus and then the more premium iPhone 8 with OLED and no bezels all released at once next year.

God that would suck but it seems so likely to happen.

If instead of the usual:

6s
7s

...they offer:

7 (at the "two years ago model" price)
7s (at the "last year model" price)
8 (at the current 7 price)

...then it would be very good, like the Watch Series 1/2. This would make the most sense to me.

If the 8 is more expensive than a 7 is currently, then yes it is dumb.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If instead of the usual:

6s
7s

...they offer:

7 (at the "two years ago model" price)
7s (at the "last year model" price)
8 (at the current 7 price)

...then it would be very good, like the Watch Series 1/2. This would make the most sense to me.

If the 8 is more expensive than a 7 is currently, then yes it is dumb.

The 8 would be more expensive than the 7 is currently, the 7s would be the price the 7 is now.

I hope it's not true. Now if they made the 7s the more affordable option, 7s+ the current price of the 7 and the 8 the price of the 7+ currently, then I could probably live with that. If it's what I think it is though (first line of this post) I guess I'll be holding onto my 6s+ for another couple of years. Wireless charging and OLED would have been nice, but oh well.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is there no low power mode for iPad? I'm on the latest version of iOS 10, got the iPad on Black Friday but haven't really played with it till now

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Gotta admit that the new rMBPs are pretty damn mediocre. It's really disappointing. I'm pretty heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and such (mainly movie-wise). Although I don't normally watch their movies on my laptop or anything, it'd suck to lose the functionality of the ecosystem if I move over to a Windows laptop and Android phone.

I'm definitely considering the latter for sure. They'll need to improve the rMBP for me to buy a new one, though. But mine has a few years left in it as is.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Gotta admit that the new rMBPs are pretty damn mediocre. It's really disappointing. I'm pretty heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and such (mainly movie-wise). Although I don't normally watch their movies on my laptop or anything, it'd suck to lose the functionality of the ecosystem if I move over to a Windows laptop and Android phone.

I'm definitely considering the latter for sure. They'll need to improve the rMBP for me to buy a new one, though. But mine has a few years left in it as is.

The new rMBP is fantastic, it's just about 2 years ahead of its time (and expensive).

As is frequently the case with Apple, wait for gen 2. Gen 1 is usually too cutting-edge.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The new rMBP is fantastic, it's just about 2 years ahead of its time (and expensive).

As is frequently the case with Apple, wait for gen 2. Gen 1 is usually too cutting-edge.

It's definitely not fantastic. It's barely a step up over the outgoing model with an old processor. THey should have waited for Kaby Lake in January.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
It's definitely not fantastic. It's barely a step up over the outgoing model with an old processor. THey should have waited for Kaby Lake in January.

Or they could've made the laptop the same thickness as the old one, and likely used DDR4 and Kaby Lake now.

And kept all the same ports too, but mah thinness! On one hand, they complain about not having LPDDR4 currently, but then then made the new laptop thinner and reduced the battery size, so...

While the difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake is slight, the iGPUs are improved, about 20-30%, and that's all you'll get on a 13" laptop anyhow, save with a Razer Blade.

Realistically, the difference between the new CPUs and old ones are likely slight, partly that's physics making new designs hard to tape out, but the SW isn't exactly pushing the envelope anymore either.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
lol 10hrs of battery life, more like 5-6. I foresee a lawsuit upcoming.

I have waited, and waited, and waited for this new MB to come out. I am so beyond disappointed. Between this and my disdain for the iPhone 7, within the next two months I may go from an iPhone and Macbook to a Samsung and PC. I am really not happy about it either as I love Apple but the I cannot support the **** they have put out this year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I have waited, and waited, and waited for this new MB to come out. I am so beyond disappointed. Between this and my disdain for the iPhone 7, within the next two months I may go from an iPhone and Macbook to a Samsung and PC. I am really not happy about it either as I love Apple but the I cannot support the **** they have put out this year.

What's wrong with the 7? The 7+ is an amazing phone. Much better than my 6+.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Really good article about how Apple alienated Mac loyalists and the problems with this year's MBP offerings and the Mac line in general - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/how-apple-alienated-mac-loyalists

Before they were announced I thought about grabbing one, but I really love my XPS 13 I have instead. Sure, I can't send iMessages from my computer, but that's okay. This machine cost me much less and is still beautiful, fast and has a pretty damn good battery.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
5-6 hours? By the end of the day i'm around 45% and i'm on the internet half the day..

That's awesome. I love my Lenovo, but the only negative I have is battery life (though it's about 3-4 years old). I only get about 5 hours out of it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Really good article about how Apple alienated Mac loyalists and the problems with this year's MBP offerings and the Mac line in general - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/how-apple-alienated-mac-loyalists

Before they were announced I thought about grabbing one, but I really love my XPS 13 I have instead. Sure, I can't send iMessages from my computer, but that's okay. This machine cost me much less and is still beautiful, fast and has a pretty damn good battery.

This is why Google needs to get off their ass and make a similar program to iMessage. Allow it to operate on Windows, Chrome OS, and Android. Hell, even macOS and iOS (if they can).

I'd likely jump ship back to Windows/Android if that was the case. I have much of my movie collection with Apple, but that's not an issue with the Apple TV and all right now.

The lack of development for the MacBook Pro line is really embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: