Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
They tried the gentle approach with Thunderbolt, and everyone basically ignored it. So now they are forcing the issue.

I'd be okay with it if the iPhone 7 had USB-C also.

The problem being that they didn't give any incentive to own Thunderbolt products, so the consumer is left not caring about Thunderbolt as a platform. So now they went the opposite extreme like you said and forced USB-C down people's throats. The problem I see with this move is that it's making things very inefficient from both a cost (to the consumer) and technology standpoint. Why have the extra dongle when you can just put the actual port in? It's even more strange when you factor in how Apple shoved bluetooth/wireless headphones with the iPhone 7/+, but still kept Lightning in when USB-C could have been a smarter move.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am embracing the Apple world. I just got my Iphone 7 Plus 256gb. It's weird to get used to, need to find out some neat tricks. Why can't I save images off of Pinterest? Also, which is the best reddit app that lets me post and save images?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I am embracing the Apple world. I just got my Iphone 7 Plus 256gb. It's weird to get used to, need to find out some neat tricks. Why can't I save images off of Pinterest? Also, which is the best reddit app that lets me post and save images?

Never used Pinterest, but generally in iOS you either share the image, (square with an up arrow) then hit Save; or you press and hold on the image and hit save.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Never used Pinterest, but generally in iOS you either share the image, (square with an up arrow) then hit Save; or you press and hold on the image and hit save.

Yeah the last time I used it, IOS was a tad different. Getting used to it is taking some well, getting used to.

member 51464

One weird thing to me is on my iPhone I can't seem to view messaging in Facebook when on the website. It tries to redirect me to some messaging address that never loads even if I am on WiFi. On my old Motorola whatever, I can message in messaging with no problem. Is this on purpose with the iPhone and it wants me to download an special FB texting app or something?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
One weird thing to me is on my iPhone I can't seem to view messaging in Facebook when on the website. It tries to redirect me to some messaging address that never loads even if I am on WiFi. On my old Motorola whatever, I can message in messaging with no problem. Is this on purpose with the iPhone and it wants me to download an special FB texting app or something?

I believe this is a Facebook deal as I was receiving notifications about a year ago that I had to have the messenger app to see the messages.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Facebook has changed. They want you to download their messenger app.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Downloaded the new update (from like 3-4 days ago?) and now getting service problems again with iphone 7. Get your **** together Apple.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Hey, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm planning to get an iPod Touch as a Christmas gift for my son (he's almost 6). He's not old enough to need a real cell phone with service, but I want him to be able to be able to play some games and music, and FaceTime with his grandparents, and watch videos on road trips - that sort of thing.

My question is how best to configure it for a kid. Should I link it to my Apple ID or create a new one for him? How best to lock-down and prevent In-App Purchases (and other purchases)? Other parental controls I should know about?

Thanks.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Is there any way to transfer or save all my old iMessages and texts?

Got a new iPhone and before deleting the old one and giving it to my niece I would like to have a backup copy of all my old messages. Some of them important for my own personal records and possible court battles.

Any help appreciated! (My computer is 2015 MacBook Pro Os Sierra I would like to save it all to)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Is there any way to transfer or save all my old iMessages and texts?

Got a new iPhone and before deleting the old one and giving it to my niece I would like to have a backup copy of all my old messages. Some of them important for my own personal records and possible court battles.

Any help appreciated! (My computer is 2015 MacBook Pro Os Sierra I would like to save it all to)

You know backing up your phone will pretty much set up your new phone like your current one with all the texts, ect once you restore from the backup. Now if you don't want that on your new phone I guess you could just transfer that data to your computer. I don't know how it will view on your PC, never tried. it.

member 51464

On WhatsApp on my iphone, where does it go if I hit "export"? This is a work phone others had before me. So I am worried it auto-sends it somewhere since when I hit it, it just starts processing and I hit cancel since I don't want everything just zooming to wherever.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Hey, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm planning to get an iPod Touch as a Christmas gift for my son (he's almost 6). He's not old enough to need a real cell phone with service, but I want him to be able to be able to play some games and music, and FaceTime with his grandparents, and watch videos on road trips - that sort of thing.

My question is how best to configure it for a kid. Should I link it to my Apple ID or create a new one for him? How best to lock-down and prevent In-App Purchases (and other purchases)? Other parental controls I should know about?

Thanks.

If you create a new one for him you can't give him the password if you don't want him to purchase stuff. If he doesn't have the password he can't purchase aps, music, ect.

It would be best if he did have the password but you linked it to an account just for his touch, virtual wallet and such. You could load $$ whenever you wanted or never.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
what app do u recommend to download movie files from your computer and transfer to the ipad for "offline" usages' for example using it on the airplane. to watch instead of watching entertainment the airline offers you. what movies/tvshows do u guys put in your library? suggestions

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
what app do u recommend to download movie files from your computer and transfer to the ipad for "offline" usages' for example using it on the airplane. to watch instead of watching entertainment the airline offers you. what movies/tvshows do u guys put in your library? suggestions

PLEX. It takes a little set-up time, but it's worth it.

And I have probably dozens of shows that I sync to my tablet. They delete themselves once I've watched them.

Just got into Westworld now. I think they're 7 episodes in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wish Kodi worked on Iphone, but whatever. Does anyone know any must have apps for IOS? It's been a few weeks since I've had an Iphone, so far it's alright. I miss some things on Android.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I wish Kodi worked on Iphone, but whatever. Does anyone know any must have apps for IOS? It's been a few weeks since I've had an Iphone, so far it's alright. I miss some things on Android.

Ha a few weeks. Not sure anyone could give a recommendation on that.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Two part post:

Apple Watch worthwhile? My parents for good or worse will always spend $500 on my Christmas gift even if I'm an adult and can afford these things myself. This year I don't have any idea what I need or want, again due to being an adult that can afford my own things - so it's always a random want and not need thing. Seems kind of cool but I don't wear jewelry or watches, is there anything beneficial to me?

Second part - I hate my MacBook Pro and more or less OS Sierra. For the simple fact it refuses to recognize external Hard Drives. When I have 128GB of flash storage on a $1500 computer I expect to be able to plug in an external HD and store things. 2TB external drive worked until I upgraded to Sierra, then it stopped recognizing it. Went to my parents old El Capitan iMac transferred everything over, reformatted entire drive - because it works on that. Transferred all back, on to MacBook and wow it seemed fixed. Then started ejecting randomly, and now is back to not even being recognized, but my old MacBook (Leopard) and their iMac (El Capitan) no problem. My files are useless if I can't ****ing access them.

So aggravating and apparently has been a MacBook Pro problem from what I can tell in research for YEARS. Thousands of posts and no fix, people asking all over the place. Makes me want to return this thing (except I can't) and just get a PC laptop. Didn't spend 1500 bucks for such a simple feature to not work.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
1 - it is, if you can find enough uses for it. Mine are:

- controlling my iPhone music from the watch without having to take my phone out
- silent vibration wake-up alarms instead of an alarm clock
- stopwatch/timer functionality
- vibrations when Apple Maps wants you to turn while driving (so helpful)
- fitness/activity tracking, including telling you to at least stand every hour
- read messages and reply via Siri/microphone

If these seem not so useful, I wouldn't bother. But the watch is surprisingly more useful than I initially thought it would be.

2 - that's the one thing that is keeping me from getting a MacBook. Completely unforgivable lack of compatibility.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so i download the vlc strfree onto my ipad so i can play movies. just download 3 so far onto my ipad. the question i have is there's a movie on this ipad bar that says 0. do i just copy them over or leave it like it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad