Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Cvy-fZNXYAErsrY.jpg:large

This is exactly why I believe they're going to switch it USB-C for the iPhone 8 next year. I know they charge a nice fee for the Lightning connector to others to make it, but this is ridiculous. It's not what Apple stands for at all.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The new MBP looks absolutely beautiful, but it's not worth it for me to spend $1799 when I have a perfectly functioning 2013 MBP. If only my laptop was way older I might do it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
This is exactly why I believe they're going to switch it USB-C for the iPhone 8 next year. I know they charge a nice fee for the Lightning connector to others to make it, but this is ridiculous. It's not what Apple stands for at all.

Looking at those tweets, aren't the Earpods just BT? (that are delayed, but whatever).

I hate it how Apple always seems to make me complain, but god damn, those prices, such features? Are Pro things supposed to have like an army of ports and whatnot? It's like they like calling things Pro, without much to stand behind it anymore, other than higher prices.

8 GB RAM standard in 2016...for $1300, yeah...maybe they just expect the low end to be taken over by iPads.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
The price hurts. I was reading online and there's a lot of options for cheaper that have a lot of stuff packed in. I waited like 8 years for this update lol. Had the original white Macbook. But looks like xp13 or spectre is the way to go

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I've been mostly on board with Apple and their supposedly bad decisions.

What the **** is this? There are way too many SKUs (either you believe in this touchpad thing or you don't). The prices are confusing beyond belief. I don't understand at all.

It's a shame because macOS is basically perfect. My 2012 has plenty of life in it still, so I'm not perturbed (and I'll be able to snag a used/cheap 2015 model some time if I want). It's all for naught without solid hardware though.

I don't think Tim Cook is the right man for this job anymore.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'll buy one eventually. The resale value alone makes it a no-brainer. I can practically pay for a new one with my old rMBP. I can still get $1000 for my computer and it's over four years old. Plus, Apple replaced the logic board and screen on it for free out of warranty.

I see zero reason to switch from Apple for laptops.

Good resale isn't reason enough to spend 3x the cost of a good laptop. $2400 for a 15" computer is beyond insane.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Absolutely insane pricing, that's for sure. Never mind the Touch ID and that Touch Bar... the base model without those features is $200 more expensive than the previous base model.

These prices are even more absurd in CAD.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Good resale isn't reason enough to spend 3x the cost of a good laptop. $2400 for a 15" computer is beyond insane.

Generally speaking, if you buy an Apple for $2000 and sell it for $1000 later, that's better than buying another thing for $1000 and it's worth next to nothing.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
They look fantastic but the price is too high. Also hate the fact i'd need to buy a bunch of other cables to make up for the Thunderbolt 3. My Macbook pro has everything I need, with 2 USB, HDMI, SD card slot. I would literally need to spend more money for these... I'll probably need to upgrade my laptop next year.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Generally speaking, if you buy an Apple for $2000 and sell it for $1000 later, that's better than buying another thing for $1000 and it's worth next to nothing.

Too much assuming. I'm not going to spend 3x more based on a possible resale value years down the road.

Plus, $2400 - the $1000 of assumed possible resale is still almost double the cost of a great new laptop. Pricing is crazy.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Too much assuming. I'm not going to spend 3x more based on a possible resale value years down the road.

Plus, $2400 - the $1000 of assumed possible resale is still almost double the cost of a great new laptop. Pricing is crazy.

Here's how wacky the price is:

Dell XPS 15 (regarded as one of the best Windows Laptops you can buy)
i7-6700HQ, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 4K touchscreen, 2GB video card
Price: $3499 Canadian Dollars

New Macbook Pro 15
Base i7(model not given), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, touchbar, 2GB video card
Price: $3979 Canadian Dollars

That's not factoring in all the adapters you are going to need to buy.

Warranties are a wash, Microsoft covers 2yrs at a cheaper price, Apple covers 3yrs for more money.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Here's how wacky the price is:

Dell XPS 15 (regarded as one of the best Windows Laptops you can buy)
i7-6700HQ, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 4K touchscreen, 2GB video card
Price: $3499 Canadian Dollars

New Macbook Pro 15
Base i7(model not given), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, touchbar, 2GB video card
Price: $3979 Canadian Dollars

That's not factoring in all the adapters you are going to need to buy.

Warranties are a wash, Microsoft covers 2yrs at a cheaper price, Apple covers 3yrs for more money.

I consider myself a "general user". I don't do any high-end graphic work, just surfing (general banking/investing, sports, etc...) and streaming. I don't get involved with gaming either. That said, for my use, a $700-$800 US is top of the line for me.

It would be a different issue if Apple had a larger lineup and that $2400 one was at the top, but they don't. Brutal.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I can only imagine what Steve Jobs would think if he was alive to see his company make a laptop that can be directly connected to an android phone but not an iPhone.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not only the MacBooks, but many are ripping on the fact that the new TV app won't have Netflix or Amazon on it. Calling it "worthless".

Yesterday's announcements not being received well by a lot of people.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He'd be firing soooooooo many people. The guy had a hell of an anger streak.

It's something the company has missed since his death. No longer innovators. Microsoft is innovating with computers and Apple's products don't even work seamlessly together anymore considering all the dongles needed. A Google Pixel can connect directly to a MacBook Pro 2016 but an iPhone? Nope. Asinine.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's something the company has missed since his death. No longer innovators. Microsoft is innovating with computers and Apple's products don't even work seamlessly together anymore considering all the dongles needed. A Google Pixel can connect directly to a MacBook Pro 2016 but an iPhone? Nope. Asinine.

I'm pretty sure Ive would be fired or very reprimanded for this sort of ****.

Clock

May 13, 2006
They're continuing to coast.

I actually like the idea of making the function bar a touchscreen since that actually makes sense, but a $300 feature?

You guys have already covered it, but the fact that the Apple ecosystem no longer "just works" is a pretty big step backward for the Apple identity.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I don't mind them trying to standardise a port. USB replaced your Mouse/Keyboard/Printer ports. Now this will replace everything, including your power.

If all manufacturers adopt the standard, it'll be great and greatly simplifies computing.

The fact that it doesn't work with iPhone 7 is weird, but my guess is the iPhone 8 will ditch the Lightning cable for a USB-C anyways.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't mind them trying to standardise a port. USB replaced your Mouse/Keyboard/Printer ports. Now this will replace everything, including your power.

If all manufacturers adopt the standard, it'll be great and greatly simplifies computing.

The fact that it doesn't work with iPhone 7 is weird, but my guess is the iPhone 8 will ditch the Lightning cable for a USB-C anyways.

Yes, but that's the point. If you were going to do this to the MBP, why wouldn't you just put USB-C in the iPhone and have USB-C headphones? Now everything works with everything and everyone can adopt USB-C.

It's like no one communicates with anyone outside of their division in Cupertino.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
I quite like Apple's ecosystems. I have an iPhone6s, Apple TV and an iPad Air 2. I like all of them and use them every day. That being said, these laptops are way too expensive. They charge a huge premium just for the Apple brand and I just don't see enough of an upside to pay it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00