Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ever since OS Sierra update on my MacBook, the damn thing no longer detects my external hard drive. Doesn't show up at all, not in disk utility or anything. Plug it into an older Mac and boom, no problem.

Anyone know of a way to go about fixing this? I would have never updated, would prefer to have my files over useless Siri on my computer.

Hmm, I haven't had anything like this happen. I just tried a few of my older drives (a mix of hard drives and thumb drives) with some being USB 2 and some 3 and all of them worked.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yesterday we got our iMac and I'm now typing this with it. Absolutely love the Magic TrackPad. For some reason, I've never really liked Magic Mouse. This 27" 5k Retina is unbelievable.

We also got Windows 10 installed with the Parallels application. I just can't get over how amazingly sharp this display is.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I've never been much of a Mac fan, but I love my Apple TV. Looking forward to hearing about the new listing app they're releasing soon.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, these prices are a joke. I stay away from Macs.

I'll buy one eventually. The resale value alone makes it a no-brainer. I can practically pay for a new one with my old rMBP. I can still get $1000 for my computer and it's over four years old. Plus, Apple replaced the logic board and screen on it for free out of warranty.

I see zero reason to switch from Apple for laptops.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Well, MacBook Pros are for content producers, not content consumers, so I'm not really surprised at the prices. I'll stick with Windows laptops as usual.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Cvy-fZNXYAErsrY.jpg:large

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Hmm, I haven't had anything like this happen. I just tried a few of my older drives (a mix of hard drives and thumb drives) with some being USB 2 and some 3 and all of them worked.

Yeah it's a USB 3.0 but I cannot figure out for the life of me what the issue here is. Works perfect on older Macs, worked perfectly on my MBP right up until I installed Sierra - then it would randomly eject disc and now just doesn't recognize it at all. Really frustrating because part of my justification for this MacBook was "Well I will just buy a portable external HD and carry all my files with me, storage problem won't be an issue!"

Was really hoping the latest update earlier this week for Sierra would fix this but nothing. Thinking my only solution may be to go back to an older Mac, transfer everything onto there which should take forever. Reformat the drive to original state somehow, then plug into this Sierra OS one and see if I can get it to work that way, then transfer everything back onto it.

Unfortunately this type of simple task to me will be a riddle of frustration trying to solve with my limited skill in these matters.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah it's a USB 3.0 but I cannot figure out for the life of me what the issue here is. Works perfect on older Macs, worked perfectly on my MBP right up until I installed Sierra - then it would randomly eject disc and now just doesn't recognize it at all. Really frustrating because part of my justification for this MacBook was "Well I will just buy a portable external HD and carry all my files with me, storage problem won't be an issue!"

Was really hoping the latest update earlier this week for Sierra would fix this but nothing. Thinking my only solution may be to go back to an older Mac, transfer everything onto there which should take forever. Reformat the drive to original state somehow, then plug into this Sierra OS one and see if I can get it to work that way, then transfer everything back onto it.

Unfortunately this type of simple task to me will be a riddle of frustration trying to solve with my limited skill in these matters.

I would take it in to Apple to check. It sounds like it's just a personal issue, unfortunately. I haven't noticed anyone I know of having issues, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->