Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
9 more months until iphone 8 hopefully. my life revolves around a wall outlet or battery charger, my iphone 6 is starting to slow down lol

Why don't you get a new battery for it in the meantime?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Battery+Replacement/29363

I would say you could do it yourself, but looking at the ifixit guide, it's like a 30 step process, because of the odd screws, spudgers, and glue, but there has to be local shops that could do it for you.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Why don't you get a new battery for it in the meantime?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Battery+Replacement/29363

I would say you could do it yourself, but looking at the ifixit guide, it's like a 30 step process, because of the odd screws, spudgers, and glue, but there has to be local shops that could do it for you.

I got a new battery installed at a store for $55 a couple months ago. Doing it yourself (unless you really know what you're doing) isn't worth saving the $25 or so.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Sometimes battery issues cannot get free replacements, take it in. I remember the days of the 3G, and 4. Any problem you were having with a phone Apple stores were swapping out like crazy, even past a year. Something changes after the 5 though.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I have to take my 6S into the Apple store to get the battery replaced under the recall they issued.

I live/work in the Valley so I'll probably kill two birds with on stone, get my battery replaced, and scope out that new campus they're building.

My company I work for partners with Apple, and some of the stuff I've heard them doing with that place is nuts

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Sometimes battery issues cannot get free replacements, take it in. I remember the days of the 3G, and 4. Any problem you were having with a phone Apple stores were swapping out like crazy, even past a year. Something changes after the 5 though.

Tim Cook happened.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

They still offer great service. I had the logic board, keyboard, trackpad, and videocard replaced on my 2012 rMBP just earlier this year. Way out of warranty. All done for free.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Tim Cook happened.

Speaking of which, he didn't hit some targets in 2016 and his compensation was cut due to it.

I'll always believe Apple shifted from being about its product to its profit margin the moment Tim Cook took over, which is everything Steve Jobs was against.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Speaking of which, he didn't hit some targets in 2016 and his compensation was cut due to it.

I'll always believe Apple shifted from being about its product to its profit margin the moment Tim Cook took over, which is everything Steve Jobs was against.

Meh I don't believe in this. Many of the practices Apple has in place were instituted when Jobs was there.

The main difference in my opinion is Jobs really pushed and bullied people to innovate and meet deadlines. Apple's last couple of iPhones were a bit underwhelming. The 7 probably really benefited from Samsung's disaster and they still didn't meet expectations. Keep in mind their expectations were to beat themselves in the previous year, at some point it's not going to happen no matter what you do. Earlier in life Jobs was more in love with his products than profits which led to him being ousted and almost killed Apple - when he came back I think he understood both.

I feel like without Jobs nobody is pushing as hard to release superior products, they are content with the status quo..

So maybe Apple will get it's butt in gear with the 8 now.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I fully believe Jobs philosophy that he used to talk about where the number one priority was creating fantastic products and the second was profits, because you needed the second one to do the first thing. That was his philosophy and I fully believe it because the quality of the products were much better when he was alive.

Tim Cook is very much about the shareholders and profits while creating just okay products. He's not a perfectionist like Jobs was. I don't think he's CEO material, plain and simple.

I'd hate to be the team who worked on the latest MBPs if Jobs was alive and making it dongle central and the (supposed) battery drain nightmare it is, or the bugs that were on iOS 10 upon launch, notably with notifications.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I fully believe Jobs philosophy that he used to talk about where the number one priority was creating fantastic products and the second was profits, because you needed the second one to do the first thing. That was his philosophy and I fully believe it because the quality of the products were much better when he was alive.

Tim Cook is very much about the shareholders and profits while creating just okay products. He's not a perfectionist like Jobs was. I don't think he's CEO material, plain and simple.

I'd hate to be the team who worked on the latest MBPs if Jobs was alive and making it dongle central and the (supposed) battery drain nightmare it is, or the bugs that were on iOS 10 upon launch, notably with notifications.

Jobs was in full command with the iPhone 4 antenna issue, telling people they are not holding it correctly. Nobody is going to compare with Jobs overall but I'd need more to pin any changes at Apple on Cook.

Cell phone sales go in cycles and unless you break in to a new market where is the growth going to come from.

I like the fact that a company like Apple cuts CEO pay due to performance - Cook still made like 8 Million in 2016.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As a long time Android user, I've had my Iphone 7 Plus for like 3 months now and I enjoy it, I miss some things, but the complaints about battery life and what not, seems like older model issues if anything and that happens.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When I had an iPhone 5 I got a replacement because of that problem with the power button where it would not close and it needed to be held down so it could power off. Now I was lucky because when I typed the serial number on the Apple website mine was eligible to be replaced or fixed.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Meh I don't believe in this. Many of the practices Apple has in place were instituted when Jobs was there.

The main difference in my opinion is Jobs really pushed and bullied people to innovate and meet deadlines. Apple's last couple of iPhones were a bit underwhelming. The 7 probably really benefited from Samsung's disaster and they still didn't meet expectations. Keep in mind their expectations were to beat themselves in the previous year, at some point it's not going to happen no matter what you do. Earlier in life Jobs was more in love with his products than profits which led to him being ousted and almost killed Apple - when he came back I think he understood both.

I feel like without Jobs nobody is pushing as hard to release superior products, they are content with the status quo..

So maybe Apple will get it's butt in gear with the 8 now.

I ageee. Jobs was a "nothing is good enough" type of person. Cook seems more like a "this is good enough" person. It's a subtle difference but an important one.

Jobs was in full command with the iPhone 4 antenna issue, telling people they are not holding it correctly.

Jobs was 100% correct and if anything too kind.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
When I had an iPhone 5 I got a replacement because of that problem with the power button where it would not close and it needed to be held down so it could power off. Now I was lucky because when I typed the serial number on the Apple website mine was eligible to be replaced or fixed.

As long as your within in a year you're fine, before it seemed like it didn't matter how old it was

I ageee. Jobs was a "nothing is good enough" type of person. Cook seems more like a "this is good enough" person. It's a subtle difference but an important one.

I agree with this, Jobs also got caught up in the personality of the device

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Tried the AirPods today.
Sound is average. Volume isn't sufficient. Feels cheap. They stay in your ears well unless you are moving any part of your face. Then they're falling out like any other earbud. Except, onto the ground.
Definitely only for the person who needs to be untethered. Too many compromises for me.
6/10.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm more interested in the Beats X Wireless than I ever was about the AirPods.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rumor is the next gen iPhone will push over 1k retail with OLED, wireless charging, ect
I'm due for an upgrade on November 11, 2017 and was thinking of getting the new iPhone. Right now I got a 6s, however I'm wondering is wireless charging if that's a feature an option to use if you want it? For example I use a 4 digit passcode and don't use the finger scan to unlock it. I'm use to the regular way of charging my 6s and how would wireless charging even work?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm due for an upgrade on November 11, 2017 and was thinking of getting the new iPhone. Right now I got a 6s, however I'm wondering is wireless charging if that's a feature an option to use if you want it? For example I use a 4 digit passcode and don't use the finger scan to unlock it. I'm use to the regular way of charging my 6s and how would wireless charging even work?

I'm guessing there will be a pad which kind of makes it useless other than that one room where you have it. It will also be extra for the charger kit.

Until there is some charging like Wifi it's kind of a useless feature.

Rumors have the all new 8, 7S and 7S Plus versions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad