Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I quite like Apple's ecosystems. I have an iPhone6s, Apple TV and an iPad Air 2. I like all of them and use them every day. That being said, these laptops are way too expensive. They charge a huge premium just for the Apple brand and I just don't see enough of an upside to pay it.

I'm in the same boat. Love my iPhone and first gen AppleTV. Was thinking of hopping on the MacBook train. Now? No. Not with these prices.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I'm in the same boat. Love my iPhone and first gen AppleTV. Was thinking of hopping on the MacBook train. Now? No. Not with these prices.

I quite like Apple's ecosystems. I have an iPhone6s, Apple TV and an iPad Air 2. I like all of them and use them every day. That being said, these laptops are way too expensive. They charge a huge premium just for the Apple brand and I just don't see enough of an upside to pay it.

May want to look for a 2015 model on the refurbished store. That's what I'm thinking of doing.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Bought my first laptop ever in 2012, a MacBook pro which I still use today. How long do MacBooks generally last? I’ve noticed it’s been slower than normal this year, especially doing school work for college and wondering if it’s time for a new one? Or should it hold up for a few more years? Battery life seems way lower than it used to be as well. The new MacBooks look pretty sweet but also way expensive. I think I have to get a mac though as I am so used to Mac OS and have an iPad air and iPhone 6s. Thanks in advance for any responses.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Bought my first laptop ever in 2012, a MacBook pro which I still use today. How long do MacBooks generally last? I’ve noticed it’s been slower than normal this year, especially doing school work for college and wondering if it’s time for a new one? Or should it hold up for a few more years? Battery life seems way lower than it used to be as well. The new MacBooks look pretty sweet but also way expensive. I think I have to get a mac though as I am so used to Mac OS and have an iPad air and iPhone 6s. Thanks in advance for any responses.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

This will tell you how your battery is doing.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/macbook-pro-tb3-reduced-pci-express-bandwidth/

Lol

"We are giving you 4 thunderbolt ports!!!"

"But we're not going to mention that we are throttling the right hand side of the 13" model cos well that's bad" yolo.

That reminds me of the USB 3.0 mobo I bought in 2010-ish...technically, it supported full 3.0/SATA 6.0 Gbps speeds, at the expense of PCIe bandwidth, which would be cut in half when those modes were enabled.

But it was the slightly cheaper version of that model of board and chipset and I think it was less than $150...but for a starting price of $1500, I think they shouldn't be any major compromises, especially if you want the smaller, slightly more portable 13" models.

And still have things like Skylake and LDDR3 in late 2016...Apple could do all those things (Kaby Lake U supports it now), but it wouldn't be as thin. Think Apple's thinness fetish is just starting to damper their ability to do tasks without being a PITA for the end user (no one likes adapters).

But these will still sell, sheeple will just see new shiny.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I feel like my phone has been much slower since I updated back at the start of October :(

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
For anyone in the market, Amazon Prime has certified 6S refurbs for $420-$520 depending on GB, today only.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Lol I'll stick with my 2015 MBP. This is what happens when you want the MBP to be closer to the Air: People shouldn't have been asking for MBP to be almost as small as the Air, they're two different product lines for a reason.

That reminds me of the USB 3.0 mobo I bought in 2010-ish...technically, it supported full 3.0/SATA 6.0 Gbps speeds, at the expense of PCIe bandwidth, which would be cut in half when those modes were enabled.

But it was the slightly cheaper version of that model of board and chipset and I think it was less than $150...but for a starting price of $1500, I think they shouldn't be any major compromises, especially if you want the smaller, slightly more portable 13" models.

And still have things like Skylake and LDDR3 in late 2016...Apple could do all those things (Kaby Lake U supports it now), but it wouldn't be as thin. Think Apple's thinness fetish is just starting to damper their ability to do tasks without being a PITA for the end user (no one likes adapters).

But these will still sell, sheeple will just see new shiny.

I don't think it will sell as much as previous incarnations. Photographers get screwed over because no SD card reader (they assume USB-C-to-Camera will be the standard when it's a lot easier to just take images off of the card), and developers who were anticipating a move to the 2016 MBP are now considering non-Apple options with how much they've taken out. More importantly, Apple seems to assume that people will willingly convert to USB-C, and buy more dongles when USB-C hasn't been fully developed yet. Even if the end goal is wireless everything, Apple is being very hasty with thinking that people will accept the move. And that's not mentioning the price, which a lot of people dislike.

Last edited:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I can't get over how good the iPhone 7's depth of field feature is. This is a photo I snapped today while on a hike with my dogs.. It's unreal..

14937252_10211609069132094_2509288989153176273_n.jpg

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Lol I'll stick with my 2015 MBP. This is what happens when you want the MBP to be closer to the Air: People shouldn't have been asking for MBP to be almost as small as the Air, they're two different product lines for a reason.

I don't think it will sell as much as previous incarnations. Photographers get screwed over because no SD card reader (they assume USB-C-to-Camera will be the standard when it's a lot easier to just take images off of the card), and developers who were anticipating a move to the 2016 MBP are now considering non-Apple options with how much they've taken out. More importantly, Apple seems to assume that people will willingly convert to USB-C, and buy more dongles when USB-C hasn't been fully developed yet. Even if the end goal is wireless everything, Apple is being very hasty with thinking that people will accept the move. And that's not mentioning the price, which a lot of people dislike.

They tried the gentle approach with Thunderbolt, and everyone basically ignored it. So now they are forcing the issue.

I'd be okay with it if the iPhone 7 had USB-C also.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully they add some of the features to the regular sized iPhone next year. Might look to downsize from the plus model.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford

Yeah, the Apple Premium is high, but it seems especially bad on computers.

How seriously is Apple taking their computer division nowadays? Are these new MacBooks pretty much all for the fanboys, so Apple is charging whatever they want?

I haven't checked, but I assume I could get a nice Alienware gaming laptop for much cheaper, and it would likely have better specs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad