Prospect Info: [Official] 2016 Draft Thread V.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So if Columbus has clear interest in Brown, it's obvious to me they are hoping he's the next Johansen of this draft. It's pretty risky really if they trade down from Pulju, but if that happens we are absolutely in their range to make a deal.

Would Edmonton deal RNH to move up 1 spot, doubt it. But Columbus could also trade them Rychel.

Van has Horvat, but is he a #1C?

Anyways we don't really have a disposable center unless we move them Backlund, but it's likely they would want someone with more potential. I can't see us moving Monahan or Bennett, we might not be a good fit.

I'd die if we got Pulju.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
6th + all of our 2nd round picks for Pulju? I know we're all interested to see who we pick with in the 2nd round but I feel this would be the price to pay to move up, if picks only.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The biggest knock for me is that I feel Sergachev has all the physical tools but needs to develop his mental game, which is the most difficult yet most rewarding part of the puzzle to obtain.

Sergachyev has the best offensive mental game out of the three. He sees plays develop two steps ahead. Defensively, we should consider this is a guy playing his first year on small North American ice - he had to re-learn every angle, and learn the fine details of defending on a small ice sheet (when to attack a cycle, when to hang back) compared to the big ice which is a different concept. Juolevi has an advantage there as Finnish ice is closer to NHL ice size than Russia. Even Provorov last year, had a few years of already playing on N.A. ice in USA in comparision.

I don't think Sergachyev is an "all physical tools" guy at all. He thinks the game well.

Aug 3, 2010
Sergachyev has the best offensive mental game out of the three. He sees plays develop two steps ahead. Defensively, we should consider this is a guy playing his first year on small North American ice - he had to re-learn every angle, and learn the fine details of defending on a small ice sheet (when to attack a cycle, when to hang back) compared to the big ice which is a different concept. Juolevi has an advantage there as Finnish ice is closer to NHL ice size than Russia. Even Provorov last year, had a few years of already playing on N.A. ice in USA in comparision.

I don't think Sergachyev is an "all physical tools" guy at all. He thinks the game well.

He's still a reach at 6 and Calgary already has Kylington who is similar in many ways, although with larger boom-bust potential.

What Calgary needs (and 29 other teams covets) is the next Pronger. A skilled defensive point-producer with a mean streak to boot. None of the defencemen in this draft project to be that. From this draft, I'd rather see a forward.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It's pretty unanimous that most fans wouldn't trade 6th overall for a goalie. I'm curious what people would trade the pick for. Myself, I'd think long and hard, if the Stars offered a package centred around Nichushkin.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's pretty unanimous that most fans wouldn't trade 6th overall for a goalie. I'm curious what people would trade the pick for.

I'd be interested in putting #6 into play for:

+ for #1 /#2 / #3 / #4 / #5
#7 / #8 / #9 /#10 +
Jakob Silfverberg
Brock Boeser
+ for Mark Stone
+ for Sam Reinhart
+ for Nathan MacKinnon
+ for Mark Scheifele
+ for Filip Forsberg
Tyler Toffoli
Tyler Johnson
+ for Tyler Seguin
William Nylander
Mitchell Marner

He's still a reach at 6 and Calgary already has Kylington who is similar in many ways

How are Kylington and Sergachyev similar? Kylington is slightly undersized for the position and plays a pure finesse game, Sergachyev is a beast physically.

The only thing they have in common is they might be the best offensive puck rushing talents in their draft class. But then that part is not unlike Seth Jones and Ryan Murray. Kylington is still the odd man out.

Sergachyev is a comparable prospect to Werenski a year ago, not Kylington.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
For Silf really?

Really. I think he's one of the best two-way wingers in the league, and his offensive game is highly potent and underrated as a vast majority of his production comes at even strength, because they have so many other great forwards to use on the PP it deflates his stats. The last two playoff years he has 23 in 23 games, however. He's also a right-handed shot which our team could use. Overall though, his defensive game is what has me sold on him - it's not just good, it's elite. Then consider he has a 3.75M cap hit for the next three seasons. We'd be very fortunate if 6th overall turns out as valuable as Silfverberg...

That said I would probably want Anaheim to add if possible.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Really. I think he's one of the best two-way wingers in the league, and his offensive game is highly potent and underrated as a vast majority of his production comes at even strength, because they have so many other great forwards to use on the PP it deflates his stats. The last two playoff years he has 23 in 23 games, however. He's also a right-handed shot which our team could use. Overall though, his defensive game is what has me sold on him - it's not just good, it's elite. Then consider he has a 3.75M cap hit for the next three seasons. We'd be very fortunate if 6th overall turns out as valuable as Silfverberg...

That said I would probably want Anaheim to add if possible.

As a Sens fan I've been waiting for Silf to have his breakout year for a while. Just starting to wonder if what we see is what we get at this point. Still a great player but just never really reached the potential a lot of people expected from him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If you're not a fan of Gauthier, don't go to CP because 90% of the discussion is about him and moving down to get him.

If we came out of this draft by trading down and picking him, or even pick him at 6 (like I saw someone suggest) I would give up all hope on this managerial group/scouting/Treliving.

Someone even suggested moving down to grab an additional 1st and drafting Gauthier and Max Jones. I think Burke must have made an account there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd move up from our 2nd into the 1st to get Gauthier, but I wouldn't move down from 6. :laugh:

Well I'd guess it would depend, if a team like Philly wanted to trade their pick at 18th overall along with Brayden Schenn, I'd consider it.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If you're not a fan of Gauthier, don't go to CP because 90% of the discussion is about him and moving down to get him.

If we came out of this draft by trading down and picking him, or even pick him at 6 (like I saw someone suggest) I would give up all hope on this managerial group/scouting/Treliving.

Someone even suggested moving down to grab an additional 1st and drafting Gauthier and Max Jones. I think Burke must have made an account there.
That would be a disaster, luckily I have faith in Treliving.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd move up from our 2nd into the 1st to get Gauthier, but I wouldn't move down from 6. :laugh:

Well I'd guess it would depend, if a team like Philly wanted to trade their pick at 18th overall along with Brayden Schenn, I'd consider it.
I'd move 6th for Schenn alone, doubt if Philly would move their 24 year old, 59 point winger/centre though.

I wonder if Philly would do Simmonds + Schenn for 3rd + Jenner?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think it's better value to make two picks in the 2nd than it is to move up to take Gauthier, I'm just not a fan. I am pretty high on some guys in the 2nd.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Trade down, take Keller. Don't care absolute truculence, new NHL is where speed and skill can thrive.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Just for discussions sake and not to be taken as gospel, NetflixandPhil finished his "consensus" top 300 prospects list, here is where the Calgary prospects ranked:

Cgy (12)
37. Jon Gillies (Cgy 2012 75th)
82. Oliver Kylington (Cgy 2015 60th)
110. Rasmus Andersson (Cgy 2015 53rd)
129. Emile Poirier (Cgy 2013 22nd)
130. Hunter Shinkaruk (Cgy 2013 24th)
144. Mark Jankowski (Cgy 2012 21st)
187. Brett Pollock (Cgy 2014 45th)
197. Andrew Mangiapane (Cgy 2015 166th)
205. Daniel Pribyl (Cgy 2011 168th)
246. Brandon Hickey (Cgy 2014 64th)
263. Tyler Wotherspoon (Cgy 2011 57th)
267. Brett Kulak (Cgy 2012 105th)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2081891

Depth is pretty good, but overall we lack blue chippers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad