Prospect Info: [Official] 2016 Draft Thread V.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We do love OHL players. Have had a ton of success picking guys from there recently. I think Nylander is the guy at 6 too. Makes sense. we need one more high end offensive player. He's got size too. Over 6' at the combine. There's less risk with him then Keller or Brown.
That top line is going to be scary. Hopefully 2 of Colbourne, Mangiapane, Ferland, Shink, and Poirier can develop into the legit top six wingers we need.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I heard that interview too. He sounded a lot higher on Nylander than anyone else that was discussed - albeit they didn't really talk about the top three, and he sounded pretty down on Brown. Maybe the ol' switcheroo but I doubt it.

It was brief, his comments, but it's what he didn't say. He said about 1-2 sentences, then said he's one of the top 5 skilled players. But it came off as though they really like him.

By my count, I'd put Mathews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk as the other top skilled players, possibly Keller over Tkachuk (I think this), but don't think the Flames necessarily do.

Also consider, the Flames know this kid. He's from here, he grew up here and have a relationship with his Dad. Now consider, if out of all the players you're in the range to draft and you have a multitude to select from and you have them ranked in a like tier, why would you not draft for need? Nylander plays the position you covet and is a RH shot. You think he has elite skill in terms of this draft and he would compliment what you have extremely well. If the draft goes as expected, I'm confident he's our guy.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Just listened to the Todd Button interview on the Fan.

Based on that, I think we're taking either Nylander or Chychrun. He called Alex a top five skilled player in this draft. He had excellent things to say about Chychrun as a player and person, he said the Flames know him and his family extremely well. He said that he's basically captain material.

I'd be thrilled with either player.

He said Brown has a very high ceiling, he compared him to Tanguay in that he's a pass first player. He talked more about Brown than Nylander, to me it sounded like he didn't want to say to much about Alex but made him sound very impressive. That's my 2 cents.

Thought the same thing as well listening to his interview. The fact that one of the scouts is very close to the family of Chychrun made me think that hes their top rated defenseman. Could be why theres rumours of the Flames wanting another top 10 pick so they can draft him.

JohnDingman

Logan Brown is going to be Joe Colborne 2.0. I pray we don't draft him

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
No matter how attractive moving up is, we have to realize we still get good value at number 6......for free.

I don't understand trading for a goalie, instead of ufa's and use picks and players to upgrade RW.

Draft Nylander at 6th. He can start in the AHL, wish is a huge plus. Adding more skilled depth on RW should be a priority, as well as a goalie, who could be had in FA with the Flames having good leverage.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No need to push the panic button, draft 6 and stick with our prospect. Seen too many Flames GMs make a ton of moves over the summer only to see little improvement the next year. New goalie, new coach is enough turmoil.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No matter how attractive moving up is, we have to realize we still get good value at number 6......for free.

I don't understand trading for a goalie, instead of ufa's and use picks and players to upgrade RW.

Draft Nylander at 6th. He can start in the AHL, wish is a huge plus. Adding more skilled depth on RW should be a priority, as well as a goalie, who could be had in FA with the Flames having good leverage.

I think having stability in net is important for every organization, even rebuilding ones. Having a tire fire in net is not the best plan for a developing team as its a detriment to the young players.

I agree we shouldn't break the bank, but it's time for a real #1.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
My mock Flames draft:

1. (6) - Alex Nylander RW
2. (35) - Sam Steel C
2. (54) - Trent Frederic C
2. (56) - Filip Hronek D
3. (66) - Matt Filipe LW
4. (96) - Brett Murray LW
5. (126) - Niilo Halonen G
6. (156) - Matias Lassen D
6. (166) - David Quenneville D
7. (186) - Tyler Soy C

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Barring someone dropping out of the top, I would have no problem with the Flames taking Nylander at 6th. Personally I hope they pick a forward at this spot.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
My wishlist draft has not changed in months

6: PLD/Tka
35: Benson (Howden will be gone), Grunstrum
54: Niemelainen, Lindgren, Allard
56: Gamble player: Day, Sokolov, Gustavsson

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015

2:14 Nylander is being asked about the Flames.

His response literally couldn´t be any more unspecific; I think he doesn´t seem to happy about going to the Flames at all. Strange.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

2:14 Nylander is being asked about the Flames.

His response literally couldn´t be any more unspecific; I think he doesn´t seem to happy about going to the Flames at all. Strange.

To be honest, he makes that face during the whole interview. I think you might be reading too much into it. :laugh:

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
To be honest, he makes that face during the whole interview. I think you might be reading too much into it. :laugh:

Hopefully, I was thinking that might be his charakter, but I didnt want to write it since I am still not sure if that´s understandable english (what I´m trying to say with his charakter:laugh:)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm going to close this in favour of the GDT. There will be threads to talk about our new picks, individually, as the draft occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad