Prospect Info: [Official] 2016 Draft Thread V.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDingman

I hope Matty Tkachuk falls. People are saying he has another shift that he doesn't reach but I disagree. He goes out hard and he is going to be a pest. Him over Dubois in my opinion. Please Flames take this young stud

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I hope Matty Tkachuk falls. People are saying he has another shift that he doesn't reach but I disagree. He goes out hard and he is going to be a pest. Him over Dubois in my opinion. Please Flames take this young stud

I agree, he's passed Dubois for me, could turn into exactly the type of player this team needs the most. With Bennett that second line would give teams fits. Fingers crossed Edmonton and Vancouver take a defenceman and PLD.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
i think vancouver most likely takes a forward with the gudbranson trade

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
i think vancouver most likely takes a forward with the gudbranson trade

Yeah which is unfortunate because I thought perhaps they might go for defense with having McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Horvat up front, Demko in net and their best defense prospect being Subban.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Calc, I listened to that interview. After it, Boomer and Pinder felt pretty strongly that it was Juolevi. But Conroy's opinion doesn't override the majority, so take that with a grain of salt.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
If Dubois or Tkachuk don't fall to us, Nylander is the player I want.

Me too.

I may be the only one but I'm optimistic that Kylington and Andersson will both be on our back end in a couple seasons, likely at least one, if not both, as middle pairings.

That gives us Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Kylington and Andersson making up our top 5. Won't be hard to find that last dman, especially out of Wotherspoon, Hickey or Kulak.

Would it be bad to get one of Juolevi, Chychrun or Sergachev? Of course not, but I think our d is solid enough to focus on what we're REALLY lacking in, talented scoring wingers.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Me too.

I may be the only one but I'm optimistic that Kylington and Andersson will both be on our back end in a couple seasons, likely at least one, if not both, as middle pairings.

That gives us Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Kylington and Andersson making up our top 5. Won't be hard to find that last dman, especially out of Wotherspoon, Hickey or Kulak.

Would it be bad to get one of Juolevi, Chychrun or Sergachev? Of course not, but I think our d is solid enough to focus on what we're REALLY lacking in, talented scoring wingers.

I'd like a forward too, but I think you've still gotta take the BPA. If management believes one of the defensemen are clearly a cut above, then you don't really have a choice. Considering the return for young, NHL defensemen, we'd do just fine, if we ever decided we have a surplus.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd like a forward too, but I think you've still gotta take the BPA. If management believes one of the defensemen are clearly a cut above, then you don't really have a choice. Considering the return for young, NHL defensemen, we'd do just fine, if we ever decided we have a surplus.

Yeah see Jones for Johansen or to a lesser extent Gudbranson for McCann sortta thing.

Or whatever Edmonton ends up doing.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think BPA is the only way to go. Conroy pointed to that in the interview as well, essentially saying position goes out the window when evaluating a player, if they like a dman more than a forward, that is who they will choose.

If Dubois doesn't fall to 6, I have Juolevi, Jost, Chychrun, Nylander, in no particular order, as the players I would be happy about.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Flames draft Joulevi, our defense in 3 years c(w)ould look like

Brodie-Hamilton
Gio-Andersson
Kylington-Joulevi

that's ridiculous. The problem is we still have only 3 top 6 forwards.

In my opinion getting Nylander/Jost/Dubois/Tkachuk/forward this draft is more important to solidifying our top 6 over solidifying out the defense.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010

Brodie-Hamilton
Gio-Andersson
Kylington-Joulevi

In my opinion getting Nylander/Jost/Dubois/Tkachuk/forward this draft is more important to solidifying our top 6 over solidifying out the defense.
If our defense looked like that. That's saying they all pan out then we would probably most likely trade for a forward. Either move gio if we aren't contending or a Jones type trade. Good young D for a young forward.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Brodie-Hamilton
Gio-Andersson
Kylington-Joulevi

If we draft Chychrun are defense could be....
Gio-Brodie
Chychrun-Hamilton
Wotherspoon-Engelland
Next year, and I'd bet that defense prevents as many goals as they score!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Calgary Flames eye Tkachuk at Memorial Cup, make final preparations for NHL combine
“We’re not going to be evasive here — Matthew Tkachuk and Olli Juolevi are two top-end prospects,†said Flames head scout Tod Button. “They’re definitely in our wheelhouse along with two or three other defencemen and a few other forwards. We’re trying to settle on our order.

“For me, based in Ontario, I saw London a lot this year. Matthew and Juolevi … they’re certainly exciting and fun to watch. So far, they’ve put on a pretty good show.â€
“His compete, he plays a hard game, he plays in the hard areas,†Button said. “He’s a finisher. A playmaker. I’ve seen him play centre this year. He’s a solid, solid all-around player. And he’s got skill. He’s not the prettiest skater and not the guy that’s going to get up and down the ice and look pretty doing it.

“But he’s going to get into the trenches.â€

And surely the Flames are not alone in their evaluation of the 18-year-old son of 19-year league veteran Keith Tkachuk.

So, are they crossing their fingers that he’ll still be around at No. 6?

“I wouldn’t say that,†Button said. “We’ll put our guys in order and we’re going to go off that list. Assuming our evaluations are the same as the top-three teams. Then there’s the next six or seven guys. It’s not just Matthew (Tkachuk) … there’s other guys we’re looking at and that’ what we’re trying to do right now.

“We want to get this list right and make sure our ranking order is right.â€

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think Tkachuk drops to us because of the Gudbranson trade. I have a feeling the Oilers take Juolevi to get the puck to McDavid, Canucks take Dubois to fill McCann's spot and we are left with Tkachuk.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

The Dubois dream is dead. The Oilers either take Tkachuk, a defencemen or trade the pick to a team that takes Tkachuk. Canucks almost definitely take Dubois.

So odds are the Flames end up with Juolevi.

biggbose

Oct 12, 2015
I think we trade

6th + Bouma/Wideman at 50%

For

8th + Bailey/ baptiste

And we still draft Nylander

Than trade three seconds

For

Halak + Ho Sang

That gives us

Justin Bailey
Alex Nylander
Josh Ho Sang

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Gotta admit, after doing a little top 6 research. My guy at 6 would be Nylander. He ooooooooozes skill. I understand a smallish skill forward isn't exactly our prime need. But he could turn out to be a legit top 6 talent. Gotta go BPA and then deal from there later if need be.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Gotta admit, after doing a little top 6 research. My guy at 6 would be Nylander. He ooooooooozes skill. I understand a smallish skill forward isn't exactly our prime need. But he could turn out to be a legit top 6 talent. Gotta go BPA and then deal from there later if need be.

He's still 6'1", just skinny.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Do you think Nylander is more skilled than Keller?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Do you think Nylander is more skilled than Keller?

gotta admit, I don't know enough about him to even comment. I was mostly looking at who would be likely at our pick. Which is the 3 dmen and Nylander if everyone goes BPA at the draft (and no top 6 trades happen).

But, from what I hear, he is probably the most skilled player after the top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->