Prospect Info: [Official] 2016 Draft Thread V.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Seems like a safe bet they'll take Tkachuk if they don't trade the pick. The logical thing to do would be to trade one or two of Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Hall then draft their replacement in Tkachuk/Dubois.

Shake up the core, address a bunch of needs, potentially clear some cap space and get a cheap, expansion draft exempt forward that isn't a massive drop off in talent.

But it's the Oilers. They'll keep everybody but Yakupov, draft Tkachuk and believe putting him besides McDavid will fix everything.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Would you trade Bennett for the 3rd pick?

Apparently the jackets are open to moving the 3rd pick and are interested in a centre.

The real though is that they'd love to move down to the 6-10 range and take Logan Brown.

Perhaps the Flames could offer 6th + something for 3rd.

But what about dealing Bennett for the 3rd pick straight up?

I love Bennett, but it remains to be seen if his go through you style will lead to injuries throughout his career. And although Sam projects as a centreman in the Western Conference Jankowski and Backlund seem like excellent depth moving forward behind Monahan.

If we could draft Puljujarvi at 3 and Keller at 6 we could seriously fill out our future offense for good.

I'd obviously first look at moving up from 6. Would we consider Backlund + 6 for 3? We would be worse in the shorter term as Backs is killing it right now

What if we could get back a Clb 2nd? 3rd + 2nd for 6th and Backs.

Any thoughts on this? I really believe pick 3 is in play.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think we need more of what Bennett can offer (potential 1A, 1B center situation, physicality, energy etc) more than we need a second elite offensive winger.

Now if we can get Puljujarvi and be able to run a duo of Monahan-Gaudreau on one line and Bennett-Puljujarvi on the other we roll an offense that will be difficult to shut down.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Apparently the jackets are open to moving the 3rd pick and are interested in a centre.

The real though is that they'd love to move down to the 6-10 range and take Logan Brown.

I love Bennett, but it remains to be seen if his go through you style will lead to injuries throughout his career. And although Sam projects as a centreman in the Western Conference Jankowski and Backlund seem like excellent depth moving forward behind Monahan.

If we could draft Puljujarvi at 3 and Keller at 6 we could seriously fill out our future offense for good.

If we picked Bennett to stay and Keller at 6 it would be pretty much the same or better.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

I'd obviously first look at moving up from 6. Would we consider Backlund + 6 for 3? We would be worse in the shorter term as Backs is killing it right now

What if we could get back a Clb 2nd? 3rd + 2nd for 6th and Backs.

Any thoughts on this? I really believe pick 3 is in play.
I wouldn't trade him for Pulju. We've already seen what Bennett can do and at a very young age (how many other players scored 4 goals in a game recently?), I wouldn't trade him for the possibilty of a equally talented winger with the risk of not panning out.

As for the playing style, that's the same of what everyone (including myself) was saying about Taylor Hall. Yeah he's a bull out there, but he'll learn to pick his spots of when to bang and crash and be smart about it, hopefully preventing any major wear & tear.

I think you have to offer 6th and any forward not named Gaudreau, Bennett and Monahan with the goal to have Pulju play with Bennett (as FF mentioned - having 2 deadly lines).

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay so consensus is that we wouldn't trade Bennett for the 3rd pick.

And I am okay with that.

I think the development of Jankowski is why this is even worth a quick discussion.

Monahan and Jankowski look like they could be Western Conference monsters. Which is important given our opponents.

Could Monahan and Janko go toe to toe with Getzlaf & Kesler or Kopitar & Carter?

I think they could. And then still having Backlund as that awesome elite 3rd line Cmen and we are in great shape.

The things about Puljujarvi is that he is a RWer, if we could draft Keller at 6 to play the LW our Top 6 could be:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Puljujarvi
Keller - Jankowski - Pribyl
XXXX - Backlund - Frolik

I guess I see trading Bennett as trading from a position of strength.

If we could do 6 + Backlund for 3 then we could roll

XXXX - Bennett - Pribyl
XXXX - Jankowski - Frolik

Perhaps there is some hope for Poirier, Klimchuk, Mangiapane etc., but I still feel like drafting a few high end forwards is critical at this point.

I wonder if the Jackets would consider our 2017 1st (Top 5 protected) + Backlund + Wotherspoon for #3.

If we could get Pick 3 without giving up 6 or Bennett would be ideal.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
@Qubax

I think you are counting your chickens before they hatch and are very, very optemistic on Pribyl and Jankowski. I would be thrilled if they becomes a second line players but it's far more likely they are bottom six guys.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
gotta admit, I don't know enough about him to even comment. I was mostly looking at who would be likely at our pick. Which is the 3 dmen and Nylander if everyone goes BPA at the draft (and no top 6 trades happen).

But, from what I hear, he is probably the most skilled player after the top 3.

He is. I think he could be the next Kovalev, honestly. He's a magician.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Okay so consensus is that we wouldn't trade Bennett for the 3rd pick.

And I am okay with that.

I think the development of Jankowski is why this is even worth a quick discussion.

Monahan and Jankowski look like they could be Western Conference monsters. Which is important given our opponents.

Could Monahan and Janko go toe to toe with Getzlaf & Kesler or Kopitar & Carter?

I think they could. And then still having Backlund as that awesome elite 3rd line Cmen and we are in great shape.

The things about Puljujarvi is that he is a RWer, if we could draft Keller at 6 to play the LW our Top 6 could be:

Keller - Jankowski - Pribyl
XXXX - Backlund - Frolik

I guess I see trading Bennett as trading from a position of strength.

If we could do 6 + Backlund for 3 then we could roll

XXXX - Bennett - Pribyl
XXXX - Jankowski - Frolik

Perhaps there is some hope for Poirier, Klimchuk, Mangiapane etc., but I still feel like drafting a few high end forwards is critical at this point.

I wonder if the Jackets would consider our 2017 1st (Top 5 protected) + Backlund + Wotherspoon for #3.

If we could get Pick 3 without giving up 6 or Bennett would be ideal.

I think its too early to tell if Janko is even a 2nd line center worthy yet. Still not sure what we have with him yet.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
bennett + andersson + 2 2nds(or similiar value prospects) for 3rd + wennberg

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I'll admit that I don't much about Pribyl, but I think the narrative on Jankowski will be a lot different a year from now.

He is getting huge, and is skilled enough to hang skills wise in a Top 6 NHL role.

Sure, he's more Kesler and less Marc Savard in terms of his play style.

But just because Jankowski is sturdy and strong isn't a problem. He's not as dynamic as Bennett and probably not as dynamic as Monahan, but I think Janko has every change at being a 20-30-50 pt prime upside. That may seem generous now, but probably won't a year from now.

I don't see Janko getting more then a cup of coffee at best in the NHL next year, so don't mistake my projection of him as where I think he'll play next year.

I think next year he'll be in the AHL virtually the whole year, with perhaps a cameo at best in the NHL.

By the time 2017-18 roles around, I really believe that Jankowski will be a MAN. And ready to step into a Top 9 role. 8-2-4-6 in his short stint in the AHL I think is a great start to his pro career.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How much of a Tim Erixon does the idea of:
Nylander - Jankowski - Pribyl
In the AHL next year give people?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I wonder if CBJ would bite at something like:

CGY 1st 2016
CGY 1st 2017

CBJ 1st 2016
CBJ 2nd 2017
if they were willing to move down I would be tempted as I think Pulj checks a lot of boxes and could have an immediate impact, lets them draft a centre Dubois/Jost/Brown(could see them really high on him) and nets them an extra first next year from a team unlikely to pick worse than 20th.

Right now my draft wish list would be
1. Laine 2. Matthews 3. Puljujärvi

4. Nylander 5. Dubois 6. Jost 7. Juolevi 8. Tkachuk

and then at 35 (assuming everyone in the tsn mock is taken
1. Bastian 2. Grundström 3. Laberge

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I wonder if CBJ would bite at something like:

CGY 1st 2016
CGY 1st 2017

CBJ 1st 2016
CBJ 2nd 2017
if they were willing to move down I would be tempted as I think Pulj checks a lot of boxes and could have an immediate impact, lets them draft a centre Dubois/Jost/Brown(could see them really high on him) and nets them an extra first next year from a team unlikely to pick worse than 20th.

Right now my draft wish list would be
1. Laine 2. Matthews 3. Puljujärvi

4. Nylander 5. Dubois 6. Jost 7. Juolevi 8. Tkachuk

and then at 35 (assuming everyone in the tsn mock is taken
1. Bastian 2. Grundström 3. Laberge

I'd be tempted to do this, but only way Flames would consider it would be if they can 100% get a legit starter, like Reimer or Andersen or someone. Can't risk going into next year with no goalie and without our 1st rounder.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I have this weird feeling that if we don't get Tkachuk or Dubois BT and Co are gonna draft Segachev at 6 because he's the most physical out of the top defencemen, while also providing offense.

Aug 3, 2010
I have this weird feeling that if we don't get Tkachuk or Dubois BT and Co are gonna draft Segachev at 6 because he's the most physical out of the top defencemen, while also providing offense.

The Sutter era is over and I think Treliving wants to keep his job.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
As for the playing style, that's the same of what everyone (including myself) was saying about Taylor Hall. Yeah he's a bull out there, but he'll learn to pick his spots of when to bang and crash and be smart about it, hopefully preventing any major wear & tear.

Taylor Hall is an example of why people are concerned about Bennett. Haha. The dude is almost incapable of staying healthy because he's so reckless in the way he plays. But I think Bennett might be smarter in that regard - I certainly don't want to see him continue flying through the slot in mid-air as he tries to toe drag past three defenders every other game like he was doing this year.

The Sutter era is over and I think Treliving wants to keep his job.

I don't think Sergachev is a stupid pick at 6. No moreso than Juolevi would be, anyway.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't think Sergachev is a stupid pick at 6. No moreso than Juolevi would be, anyway.

None of the 3 defencemen would be bad picks like people make them out to be.

The biggest knock for me is that I feel Sergachev has all the physical tools but needs to develop his mental game, which is the most difficult yet most rewarding part of the puzzle to obtain. There's just less guarantees to him, but has potentially better ceiling.
Juolevi is close in size but needs more physical development - however, his mental ability within the game is further ahead. Easier to pump iron than it is to gain awareness at the highest level of professional hockey.

Juolevi is the safer pick. Sergachev is a top-12 pick to me, whereas Juolevi's a top 8 - he's more polished and has a safer ceiling. Calgary is closing in on the point where less "home-run projects" are needed, and should become more risk-averse. Draft the player that can make a contribution sooner so they can plug holes in a contender's lineup, not the player who slides up and down the depth chart from season to season.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The biggest knock for me is that I feel Sergachev has all the physical tools but needs to develop his mental game, which is the most difficult yet most rewarding part of the puzzle to obtain. There's just less guarantees to him, but has potentially better ceiling.
Juolevi is close in size but needs more physical development - however, his mental ability within the game is further ahead. Easier to pump iron than it is to gain awareness at the highest level of professional hockey.

Juolevi is the safer pick. Sergachev is a top-12 pick to me, whereas Juolevi's a top 8 - he's more polished and has a safer ceiling. Calgary is closing in on the point where less "home-run projects" are needed, and should become more risk-averse. Draft the player that can make a contribution sooner so they can plug holes in a contender's lineup, not the player who slides up and down the depth chart from season to season.

I completely agree with taking the safe pick. However, arguments could also be made that Joulevi is the furthest away from being NHL ready and is very similar to what we already have. He may very well be the best out of the top 3, someday, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be the best fit for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad