Prospect Info: [Official] 2016 Draft Thread V.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just for discussions sake and not to be taken as gospel, NetflixandPhil finished his "consensus" top 300 prospects list, here is where the Calgary prospects ranked:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2081891

Depth is pretty good, but overall we lack blue chippers for sure.

Considering we have four guys under the 'prospect' cutoff age being major players in the NHL, I don't see this as a problem.

You add Nylander into the mix (he won't be in the NHL next year) and this team's be fine. After this season, we need to restock to cupboards and amass some more talent (and let them develop).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Considering we have four guys under the 'prospect' cutoff age being major players in the NHL, I don't see this as a problem.

You add Nylander into the mix (he won't be in the NHL next year) and this team's be fine. After this season, we need to restock to cupboards and amass some more talent (and let them develop).

As an organization sure I agree.

However I like to sometimes view the prospect pool as seperate sometimes, as a view on impact NHL'ers we can potentially develop within.

It would just be nice if we had a steady pipeline of bottom nine and bottom four type guys to help alleviate any future cap problems.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Just for discussions sake and not to be taken as gospel, NetflixandPhil finished his "consensus" top 300 prospects list, here is where the Calgary prospects ranked:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2081891

Depth is pretty good, but overall we lack blue chippers for sure.

Kylington and Andersson are too low for me (not by a lot mind you). I keep seeing Andersson as a throw-in for all these trades and it upsets me because I think he can be a special player. Kylington too. It's one of my biggest concerns with drafting a d-man in this upcoming draft. I just think it is redundant with these 2 guys in the system (as well as Hickey).

I also believe Gillies can be a blue chip prospect if he plays a full season next year to prove that he is a the real deal in Stockton.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Took a crack at this year's draft.

TRADES

Calgary
3OA

Columbus
6OA
35OA
53OA
RW Poirier

Calgary
73OA
102OA

Carolina
Rights to RW Colborne
165OA

DRAFT

3rd - RW Jesse Puljujarvi
55th - RW Tage Thompson
65th - LD Sean Day
73rd - LW Dimitri Sokolov
95th - RD David Quenneville
102nd - C Matthew Phillips
125th - LW Max Zimmer
155th - G Adam Brizgala
185th - RW Tanner Laczynski

2016-2017 Line Up

Gaudreau - Monahan - Puljujarvi
Perron - Bennett - Shinkaruk
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Pribyl/Hathaway

Brodie - D. Hamilton
Giordano - Jokipakka
Wotherspoon - Nakladal
Engelland

Reimer
Ortio

Would rather Brouwer over Perron but I think its unrealistic to think St. Louis doesn't re sign him after his playoff performance.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I really want to take a shot at Phillips in the mid rounds. He is small, but he has unbelievable talent, definitely in the upper echelon of skill in the entire draft.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I really want to take a shot at Phillips in the mid rounds. He is small, but he has unbelievable talent, definitely in the upper echelon of skill in the entire draft.

Naw they are just going to draft another HUGE MEAT AND POTATOES guy who doesn't have skill. :laugh:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Any interest in 4th for 6th? Calgary gets to grab the best forward after the big 3 and Edmonton can grab the best of the top 3 D? What would the offer be? 4 for 6 plus Calgary's 2nd?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Any interest in 4th for 6th? Calgary gets to grab the best forward after the big 3 and Edmonton can grab the best of the top 3 D? What would the offer be? 4 for 6 plus Calgary's 2nd?

I would give up the Dallas+Florida 2nds to move into 4th. Not our own 2nd, which is too close to the 1st round.

55th - RW Tage Thompson

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/27/tage-thompson-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-29/

Shoots right, and shoots it well (led NCAA in power play goals at 13, three more than Kyle Connor in two less games)
6'5" and "protects the puck well using his body on the cycle"
14-18-32 in 36 games (18YO)
"a coach’s son"

A lot to like there for sure... almost too much. Will he be there at 55?

Last edited:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I would give up the Dallas+Florida 2nds to move into 4th. Not our own 2nd, which is too close to the 1st round.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/27/tage-thompson-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-29/

Shoots right, and shoots it well
6'5" and "protects the puck well using his body on the cycle"
14-18-32 in 36 games (18YO)
"a coach’s son"

A lot to like there for sure... almost too much. Will he be there at 55?

Don't know, I hope so. Some mocks have him in the early second, late second and early third, so it's possible. I would probably use our 35th on him to be honest (if we didn't do my imaginary trade where we get Pulju :laugh: )

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Don't know, I hope so. Some mocks have him in the early second, late second and early third, so it's possible. I would probably use our 35th on him to be honest (if we didn't do my imaginary trade where we get Pulju :laugh: )

He actually sounds like a pure late first rounder. That's about the range where teams have picked Kevin Hayes (24th OA), Riley Sheahan (21st OA), Mark Jankowski, (21st OA), Alex Tuch (18th OA), Jack Roslovic (25th OA), Ryan Kesler (23rd OA), Travis Zajac (20th OA), Max Pacioretty (22nd OA), Dylan Larkin (15th OA), Charlie Coyle (28th OA), Chris Kreider (19th OA), TJ Oshie (24th OA), Kyle Connor (17th OA), and Brock Boeser (23rd OA)... all guys who might have been top 10-ish picks had they played in the CHL where the hype machine is at.

May 23, 2007
Calgary

No interest from me. If we can't move up in the Top 3, then I wish we just stay put at 6 because I don't think there's a huge difference between Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Brown, Jost or Keller.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
No interest from me. If we can't move up in the Top 3, then I wish we just stay put at 6 because I don't think there's a huge difference between Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Brown, Jost or Keller.

Agreed. I like Dubois the best, but at the very least Tkachuk and Nylander could easily be better, and then there are the other guys like Keller.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I too would be very happy if the Flames drafted Matthew Phillips. Hope the Flames are keeping an eye on him because once you get to the tail end of the draft (and he's not going to get drafted any earlier than the 4th round, IMO) if there's a player with elite skill who grew up in your backyard still on the board there's just no excuse for passing him up.

Also no thanks to moving up to either EDM or CBJ's spot. Too expensive and I don't see the point. If anything, I'd be okay with moving a couple of spots down and picking up extra assets, though keeping the 6th pick and getting Nylander or Keller would be my first choice.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd move up to 3 by doing the proposed deal, even though I still like Emile. I wouldn't bother moving to 4.

I've talked about Tage Thompson before, I drafted him in our fantasy league on here. He's projected to be a late 1st on most lists. If he's there with our 2nd, I can't see that there's anyway we pass on him. He's a winger too. I'd actually like to see us potentially move up and get him (or Gauthier). If we did take a guy like Keller or Nylander and landed Thompson as well, it would be a great draft in my books.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'd be interested in moving up to #4. In my mind Dubois is the best forward left at that point, and I think there is a bit of separation between him and Nylander, Tkachuk, Keller, and Jost in that next grouping for me.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
On second thought, I probably wouldn't. I like quite a few defencemen in the 2nd and I don't think I'd be willing to pony up what Edmonton would want to move up 2 spots since we are their rivals.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I would trade 6th, our second+ for Dubois. He brings everything to the table. Maybe he doesn't have elite offensive abilities like Nylander or Tkachuk. But he does everything else so well.

Our problem is not scoring. Our problem is matching up against big strong players, I.E Getzlaf, Perry. We need defencemen that can punish them physically to win board battles (why I like Serg), or a great defensive winger to play with Bennett against the other teams best.

We need help on the PK and 5 on 5. We have the personnel in place to have a great Powerplay. We just need to execute better. We don't really have many two-way guys.

biggbose

Oct 12, 2015
6th

For

13th + 21st from Carolina

We draft Luke kunin + max Jones/Julian Gauthier/ Tage Thompson

I really like kunin

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
How does the compensation work? Bleakley is reentering the draft and the yotes is getting a comp pick in the 2nd for him, it didn't sound like he was offered a contract, so does that mean anyone can get 2nd back should they chose not to sign their 1st rounder?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
6th

For

I really like kunin

Not enough. Maaaaaaybe I'd do it if they included both their 2nds, as well. There's a big risk in dropping all the way from 6 to 13.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How does the compensation work? Bleakley is reentering the draft and the yotes is getting a comp pick in the 2nd for him, it didn't sound like he was offered a contract, so does that mean anyone can get 2nd back should they chose not to sign their 1st rounder?

A (lowball) offer ("Bonafide") has to be officially presented to the player, and the player has to refuse.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
6th

For

I really like kunin

It's a good offer if Tkachuk and Dubois are gone. I also really like Bellows and I think Jost or Keller could fall to around 13 (ie Barzal and Connor last year.

Walking away with two of Bellows/Jost/Keller/Kunin/Gauthier/Jones would be pretty cool.

Carolina takes hometown boy Logan Brown to be the next Staal.

I know Tage Thompson has great points and I have never seen him play, so I'm only going off hearsay, but he only had 1 or 2 points even strength this year. The rest came standing in front of the net on the PP. I think his stats are a little misleading.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Seems odd that he would reject a "bonafide" offer tho, considering he couldn't even put up PPG as a 20 year old.

That initial offer could have been presented the day he was drafted. As long as it was offered once, it's sufficient. Further, a bonafide offer means an AHL salary of around 30K a year. Players are always advised to continue improving until the second or third offer. Only a total scrub like Keegan Kanzig should accept a 30K salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad