Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Cody McLeod

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The veteran leadership portion of this is interesting a well. Nash, according to all who speak on the subject, is a veteran leader in the room. Perhaps this means they would lean towards moving him

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
There's a lot of mental jiu jitsu going on in this thread when the reality is just staring you guys in the face.

The coach, and the GM, believe that this team is lacking whatever it is that McLeod brings, and they think he makes this team better.

Claiming McLeod has absolutely zero effect on the Rangers 'big picture'.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Neil Smith worked with Keenan. It wasn't a happy relationship though and IMO Keenan was a bit ****ed in the head. He didn't like Leetch at the start and went to Smith to see if he could move Brian to get ****ing Stu Grimson which was just nuts. Keenan had it in for a number of players and a lot of them were traded. He didn't like James Patrick, Darren Turcotte, Tony Amonte, Mike Gartner. Some of the players Keenan did like that we got back were really good like Steve Larmer. Brian Noonan and Stephane Matteau gave us size and a heavier forecheck which were particularly helpful when we got into the playoffs but losing Amonte for them would have been a very high price to pay if we didn't win the Cup. Another player Keenan didn't like was Eddie Olczyk who was a really good player but he hardly played.

Agreed. I liked some of the players Keenan got rid of, but my rule is if you win the cup nothing you did before hand matters. You lose any credibility for questioning moves the team or coach makes if you win.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Some of you guys really lack a big picture view.

As others have noted.

If the Rangers are going to sell... They will need bodies at the NHL level. This fills that void.

You get some character in the room for a soft fragile group of yuppies and finish the season on a liquidation process where... Guess what you'll get more guys like him because you need bodies in the NHL.
Yep!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wonder if the Rangers try and sneak McLeod down into the AHL for their playoff run around the deadline as there will be countless other guys on waivers. It seems Nashville has no need for him so perhaps they would let him go

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agreed. I liked some of the players Keenan got rid of, but my rule is if you win the cup nothing you did before hand matters. You lose any credibility for questioning moves the team or coach makes if you win.

If he had convinced Smith to move Leetch for Grimson we wouldn't have won the Cup. Keenan had a hard time knowing his place and he had no business running a team as a general manager. It's not that Smith was perfect either but Keenan went behind his back trying to undermine him every chance he got. He also tried to work out a deal to coach for another team before the season was even over--it was either the Blues or the Red Wings (if I'm remembering correctly) and the Rangers were thinking about a tampering charge. It's great that we won but it's unfortunate that in my lifetime the only time that we've won it just happened to be with a coach who was such an unethical clown. More than anyone it was Messier holding that team together.

Reactions: Miamipuck

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think the Rangers are going to sell anyway (barring a terrible month of February). They're gonna see it as they are in/right around a playoff spot with Shattenkirk coming back soon and Kreider potentially coming back to help bolster the team. Maybe they'll ship out an upcoming UFA like DD/Holden who they should be able to replace but I highly doubt they would move Grabner/Nash if the trade deadline was tomorrow.

Reactions: silverfish

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Honestly, I kind of like the move. Only because if the Rangers decide to sell off pieces and bring up Chytil and/or Andersson for a cup of coffee, we have a tough guy as a deterrent from other teams knocking around the younger guys. We didn't have that in the couple games at the start of the season when Chytil was knocked around senselessly without any protection.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't think the Rangers are going to sell anyway (barring a terrible month of February). They're gonna see it as they are in/right around a playoff spot with Shattenkirk coming back soon and Kreider potentially coming back to help bolster the team.
Everyone's expecting a massive sell off and I'm just sitting here waiting for Holden's 4 year extension.

Reactions: Inferno

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If he had convinced Smith to move Leetch for Grimson we wouldn't have won the Cup. Keenan had a hard time knowing his place and he had no business running a team as a general manager. It's not that Smith was perfect either but Keenan went behind his back trying to undermine him every chance he got. He also tried to work out a deal to coach for another team before the season was even over--it was either the Blues or the Red Wings (if I'm remembering correctly) and the Rangers were thinking about a tampering charge. It's great that we won but it's unfortunate that in my lifetime the only time that we've won it just happened to be with a coach who was such an unethical clown. More than anyone it was Messier holding that team together.

I know personal stories about Keenan that would probably get deleted in regards to him ( I am not vetted nor care to be) doing the very same thing in Florida to Chuck Fletcher. Keenan is a disgusting human being that was excreted from the back end of the family dog after it ate a pizza.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's possible to have a tough guy who also isn't a horrible player. Really no need to have a McLeod/Glass/Brashear/Boogard/Shelley type all the time. You can have someone even like a Carcillo who can actually play the game.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't really expect them to sell either, yet at that point, personally I am going to be much more of a fair weather fan, although threads like these are fun so I'll probably stick around somewhat to make fun of their silly moves.

Toughness, an edge, whatever one wants to call it is not going to boil up from the 4th line or 3rd pair for that matter, if they want some element like that they need a couple players who can do it while playing meaningful minutes against the other teams top players. Sticking out, at best, 4th line players to add toughness and have them play against anything other than the other teams worst players is only going to get them scored on.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
For my sake, its not the sole fact that we acquired him that is the issue.. its him combined with AV's leadership that frightens me to no end :)

Why?

We have a lot of injuries and all call-ups from the AHL haven't delivered. Its late January and you pick up a 4th line gritty type of winger, its not like its a big deal.

If anything we have had a hard time to get going early in games and that is definitely connected to the fact that we have played a pretty advanced style and when things aren't working great and we face a team that just hits the ice and skates we fall apart. With someone like Cody M we will get a 4th line that will play more of a gritty N-S game and be of help in those situations. Same reason Catenacci was recalled over some others.

Look I have no problem with people not being complacent with AV/Gorton/this team. But the twitter world always takes it to another level, and its so widespread that the environment around this team tends to border line to hysteria (like it did with Girardi for example). No matter how you twist and turn things, a 4th line winger position is a 4th line winger position.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He was their best player last night, anyone stating differently is being disingenuous.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii woooooooooooorrrrrrrrrssssssssssssstttttttttttttt eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrr AVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's possible to have a tough guy who also isn't a horrible player. Really no need to have a McLeod/Glass/Brashear/Boogard/Shelley type all the time. You can have someone even like a Carcillo who can actually play the game.
Loved Carcillo's time here. I wish Car Bomb was still around. I know he's doing good stuff in retirement, from what I read, but still.

Reactions: aufheben

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I know personal stories about Keenan that would probably get deleted in regards to him ( I am not vetted nor care to be) doing the very same thing in Florida to Chuck Fletcher. Keenan is a disgusting human being that was excreted from the back end of the family dog after it ate a pizza.

Keenan is a one way street. His year with us was a great year though--so all in all it was worth it but it wasn't going to last in New York and those who think that he could coach again---I think he's burned his bridges at least as far as the NHL goes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think the Rangers are going to sell anyway (barring a terrible month of February). They're gonna see it as they are in/right around a playoff spot with Shattenkirk coming back soon and Kreider potentially coming back to help bolster the team. Maybe they'll ship out an upcoming UFA like DD/Holden who they should be able to replace but I highly doubt they would move Grabner/Nash if the trade deadline was tomorrow.

Shattenkirk would still need to get back in game shape. Kreider would need to get back in game shape and honestly I don't think Chris is coming back this year--playoffs or no playoffs.....and right now he's probably really limited as far as the things he can do. Shattenkirk might be able to return with 8-10 games left and need 5-6 of them to get up to speed. From my perspective you cannot depend that either are going to be there for you to make much difference. The guys they can depend on are the players that are playing now and if you don't think the group you have now can win there's no point so to me it would be a big mistake to not at least move Nash and Grabner.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
He can coach my team to another cup thank you very much. He won. That’s all that matters. It’s pro sports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad