Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Cody McLeod

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This season ends with a wet fart or with McDonagh handing the Cup to McLeod.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I don’t really have a strong opinion on this waiver pickup either way. I was of the opinion that our season was over the minute I heard about Kreider’s injury. We had suspect forward depth when he was healthy. Once he was pretty much out for the rest of the season, I made peace with the idea that we were done for this year. If we add a guy to the lineup who can’t play for a whole 3 months? Meh. Whatever.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I, on the other hand, like McLeod. I was campaigning to trade for him last year. He's a more reliable player than Glass and he can brings some much needed sandpaper to the lineup. He is what he is, a decent 4th liner. No more, no less.

Agreed!

Reactions: leetch99

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
You actually said he was "running at guys like Giroux" suggesting more than one, not just one hit on Voracek. Didn't see McIlrath and Simmonds come together before the fight, didn't remember it from the time. I believe it's probably fiction. I remember Simmonds coming together with both Glass and Kreider earlier in the shift, but not McI.

McIlrath told Simmonds in warm ups (some point before the opening faceoff) that he was going to run every single Flyers player until he fought him. He had to answer the bell.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've always wondered how much impact a coach really has on personnel issues...does he ask the gm for a certain type of player and the gm does his best to get it
...or does the gm get what he gets and it's the coaches job to make it work.... Always wondered just how it works. I'm guessing every team is different..

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I've always wondered how much impact a coach really has on personnel issues...does he ask the gm for a certain type of player and the gm does his best to get it
...or does the gm get what he gets and it's the coaches job to make it work.... Always wondered just how it works. I'm guessing every team is different..
Keenan chose his players in 94 at the deadline when he sat down with Neil Smith

Reactions: Inferno

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Not sure why we sign him 23 games 2 pts, ah tuffness. :)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

FWIW I don't think that the Rangers had McLeod in mind until he became available on waivers. In any case they didn't trade anything for him. How he slots into the lineup I don't know. Hayes is back and now we have 14 forwards---at least unless someone gets moved. I wouldn't be surprised if Lettieri goes back to Hartford for the time being--though Holland might too---since we have Zibanejad, Hayes, Miller and Desharnais who can play center. Would Carey come out of the lineup then if the Rangers decide to play McLeod? I know more about McLeod as a fighter than I do as a player. bobbop above though is IMO a pretty astute observer and he seems to like him--so if McLeod can skate well enough, grind, kill penalties, give us a heavier forecheck--any of those things would be welcome. I expect McLeod will play against teams like the Pens with Reaves and Oleksiak, the Caps with Wilson and the Flyers with Simmonds and Gudas. Against teams that don't have that much physical presence maybe not.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Keenan chose his players in 94 at the deadline when he sat down with Neil Smith

Neil Smith worked with Keenan. It wasn't a happy relationship though and IMO Keenan was a bit f***ed in the head. He didn't like Leetch at the start and went to Smith to see if he could move Brian to get f***ing Stu Grimson which was just nuts. Keenan had it in for a number of players and a lot of them were traded. He didn't like James Patrick, Darren Turcotte, Tony Amonte, Mike Gartner. Some of the players Keenan did like that we got back were really good like Steve Larmer. Brian Noonan and Stephane Matteau gave us size and a heavier forecheck which were particularly helpful when we got into the playoffs but losing Amonte for them would have been a very high price to pay if we didn't win the Cup. Another player Keenan didn't like was Eddie Olczyk who was a really good player but he hardly played.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Some of you guys really lack a big picture view.

As others have noted.

If the Rangers are going to sell... They will need bodies at the NHL level. This fills that void.

You get some character in the room for a soft fragile group of yuppies and finish the season on a liquidation process where... Guess what you'll get more guys like him because you need bodies in the NHL.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Depends on the dynamic. Some work hand in hand, others not so much. AV has input on the decisions but you also have teams where hockey ops decides... Even over the GM.

The Seguin deal was pulled by hockey ops.. The GM didnt want to make the deal.

FLA last year, their guy Rowe made deals the coaching staff was against... He Corsid that org back 3-4 years in 4-5 month window with the cap constraints.

Teams that draft well... They have a better handle on org depth.. Look at a ANA or NSH... Coaches get to pick their roster... Which is something the rangers don't have at the moment.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Perhaps this a small “lollipop” to AV so he has somerhing to suck on when Holden, DD, Grabner and Naah get traded?

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen

As others have noted.

If the Rangers are going to sell... They will need bodies at the NHL level. This fills that void.

You get some character in the room for a soft fragile group of yuppies and finish the season on a liquidation process where... Guess what you'll get more guys like him because you need bodies in the NHL.

Yes, as this is better than calling Chytil or Andersson up. Neither of whom are ready.

I do expect to see one of Pionk, Giomour and Graves up with big club once Smith and/or Holden get traded

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I, on the other hand, like McLeod. I was campaigning to trade for him last year. He's a more reliable player than Glass and he can brings some much needed sandpaper to the lineup. He is what he is, a decent 4th liner. No more, no less.

Yeah, I also thought we needed a bit of sandpaper and veteran leadership. Lol don't quite get the "end-of-the-world"-comment.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He’s not a decent 4th liner he’s a horrible 4th liner. It’s not a big deal in Nashville where they played him 6 mins/game but AV never does that with his youth league everyone plays the same coaching style

Additionally him being a “body” is a pointless argument because there’s been several guys on waivers every day that they could have claimed that would just be a body and instead of claiming one of them they chose the worst guy out there

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, I also thought we needed a bit of sandpaper and veteran leadership. Lol don't quite get the "end-of-the-world"-comment.
For my sake, its not the sole fact that we acquired him that is the issue.. its him combined with AV's leadership that frightens me to no end :)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
McLeod will be one of the older and more experienced guys on the team up front. Sometimes those veteran moves help get the best out of a team behind the scenes. We'll wait and see.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

As others have noted.

Well said. I expect another vet or two after the deals start happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad