Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Cody McLeod

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Keenan is a disgusting human being that was excreted from the back end of the family dog after it ate a pizza.
That may well be. And I do know that he almost destroyed '94 and Messier was the glue. But the guy was a winner. And will hold a special place in my heart for bringing the Cup to NY. At the rate this is going, that may be the only one I get to see.

Reactions: leetch99

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kind of amazing that in 10 seasons after leaving NY, Keenan only won one playoff series. Why would teams keep hiring him? I understand putting up with him when he's had recent success.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He can coach my team to another cup thank you very much. He won. That’s all that matters. It’s pro sports

Maybe to you as an individual fan, but a lot of other fans disagree. And clearly teams and even entire leagues agree there's far more to being employed in a sport than being good or having won. Today more than ever. I mean, there are tons of guys that have won or could help you win that aren't playing or coaching because of various behaviors or indiscretions. I have no idea what is being alluded to with regards to Keenan, but looking beyond his specific example, it's absolutely untrue that winning is all that matters. Not anymore.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The rangers had one of the most stacked teams in history...and it took 2 game 7s for Keenan to get a win...

Keenan was an awful coach. A truly awful coach.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The rangers had one of the most stacked teams in history...and it took 2 game 7s for Keenan to get a win...

Keenan was an awful coach. A truly awful coach.
Not that I'm a Keenan fan, but that seems like an impossibly tough standard, lol. Tortorella hasn't won a series before 7 games in 13 years. And his Cup came with a 7 game win over the much inferior Flames, with the benefit of a missed goal call.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Maybe to you as an individual fan, but a lot of other fans disagree. And clearly teams and even entire leagues agree there's far more to being employed in a sport than being good or having won. Today more than ever. I mean, there are tons of guys that have won or could help you win that aren't playing or coaching because of various behaviors or indiscretions. I have no idea what is being alluded to with regards to Keenan, but looking beyond his specific example, it's absolutely untrue that winning is all that matters. Not anymore.
You are flat out wrong. In professional sports winning IS all that matters. If you don’t believe this it’s actually scary. Why keep score? Why hand the Cup to the winners.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You are flat out wrong. In professional sports winning IS all that matters. If you don’t believe this it’s actually scary. Why keep score? Why hand the Cup to the winners.
Why keep score? Why hand the Cup to the winners? Why read entire posts when you can just respond to the first line?

Lots of important questions.

Reactions: Ail and nyr2k2

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Not that I'm a Keenan fan, but that seems like an impossibly tough standard, lol. Tortorella hasn't won a series before 7 games in 13 years. And his Cup came with a 7 game win over the much inferior Flames, with the benefit of a missed goal call.
It's a high bar but not totally impossible. we swept the Thrashers in '07 under Renney.

Reactions: Ail

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seriously? Is this a serious post? I'm talking about what matters in the context of whether or not a team will employee you. Your comment, the one to which I replied, essentially stated that you don't care what Keenan did, or what kind of person he is, that he can coach your team--because the only thing that matters to you in picking a coach, evidently--is winning. And my point is that for many other people, and for many organizations, who coaches the team, or who plays on the team, is dictated by far more than just talent or past success. I honestly don't know how your reading comprehension could be so poor that you didn't gather this from my initial post.

Why keep score? Why hand the Cup to the winners? Why read entire posts when you can just respond to the first line?

Lots of important questions.

Christ almighty, THANK YOU.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Seriously? Is this a serious post? I'm talking about what matters in the context of whether or not a team will employee you. Your comment, the one to which I replied, essentially stated that you don't care what Keenan did, or what kind of person he is, that he can coach your team--because the only thing that matters to you in picking a coach, evidently--is winning. And my point is that for many other people, and for many organizations, who coaches the team, or who plays on the team, is dictated by far more than just talent or past success. I honestly don't know how your reading comprehension could be so poor that you didn't gather this from my initial post.

Please never stop dropping knowledge. You’ve always been one of my favorite posters, but these past few weeks have had some amazing insight from you

Reactions: nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Keenan violated the terms of his contract with the Rangers even before the season was over. Neil Smith and the Rangers upper management at the time had to jump through hoops to smooth over the discredit Keanan brought to the team. Trying to negotiate a contract with another team while you're still coaching your team is just unheard of and is not ethical. It was a terrible thing to do and just shows what a self serving asshole he is.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

No I comprehended it fine. For me the coach needs to win. Period. Yes I’d like a good guy too, but winning is all I care about. Billy martin

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No I comprehended it fine. For me the coach needs to win. Period. Yes I’d like a good guy too, but winning is all I care about. Billy martin
Again, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But your opinion is just that, an opinion. The objective reality is that a lot of fans and teams care about things like character, social stances, behavior patterns, and things like that when making hires. Now more than ever.

Anyway this has literally nothing to do with Cody McLeod, so I'm done here. Last word is yours.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Again, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But your opinion is just that, an opinion. The objective reality is that a lot of fans and teams care about things like character, social stances, behavior patterns, and things like that when making hires. Now more than ever.

Anyway this has literally nothing to do with Cody McLeod, so I'm done here. Last word is yours.
My last word is I agree that a lot of fans and organizations care about the things you posted, and so do I. But winning comes first. You could be the nicest guy, active in the community, brilliant, kind whatever. Your job is to win.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I suspect McLeod was a guy management and/or AV always liked. So when he became available, they grabbed him. A free decent fourth liner who can provide some grit.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How is a player who is:

A. Dead last in CF%
B. 346/378 in 5v5 pts/60
C. 5th worst in penalty differential and number 1 in penalties taken/60 by a huge amount
among forwards who have played 1000+ minutes since 2015

A decent 4th liner? He's right up there for the number one worst there is.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
How is a player who is:

A. Dead last in CF%
B. 346/378 in 5v5 pts/60
C. 5th worst in penalty differential and number 1 in penalties taken/60 by a huge amount
among forwards who have played 1000+ minutes since 2015

A decent 4th liner? He's right up there for the number one worst there is.
Toughness of course.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My guess is that he's a warm body while the younger talent develops.

I don't particularly see any value in him, but I don't see him "blocking" anyone from getting looks.

Reactions: leetch99

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Since Jagr cleared waivers, can we finally eliminate this fantasy that McLeod was claimed to "bring veteran leadership to a team that's going to sell at the deadline" and just admit that AV and GMJG believe he actually helps this team?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Since Jagr cleared waivers, can we finally eliminate this fantasy that McLeod was claimed to "bring veteran leadership to a team that's going to sell at the deadline" and just admit that AV and GMJG believe he actually helps this team?
Jags doesn’t bring leadership. At this point he is being selfish trying to play. He’s ruining his incredible legacy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad