Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Cody McLeod

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All I'm saying is, if you're employing a non-NHL talent to be tough, then teach Stipe Miocic how to skate. Go big or go home.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Oh and I would like to add for the record that the McIlrath-Simmonds fight made such an impact on the league re: the Rangers ability to make you pay for your discretions that no one elbowed McDonagh violently in the head for almost a full five days afterwards.

I’m curious how you feel when guys who have played the game state that when they know they will have a large man try and punch through their face they often think twice about doing something stupid. The instigator penalty is the real issue honestly. Take that away and guys like Marchand, Shaw, etc wouldn’t get away with the crap they pull.

But I digress. McLeod is not that guy for this team with the rules as they are currently.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m curious how you feel when guys who have played the game state that when they know they will have a large man try and punch through their face they often think twice about doing something stupid. The instigator penalty is the real issue honestly. Take that away and guys like Marchand, Shaw, etc wouldn’t get away with the crap they pull.

But I digress. McLeod is not that guy for this team with the rules as they are currently.

Maybe not Marchand because that f***er could put up 90 points, but Shaw and guys like him literally get paid millions of dollars just to be assholes. I think they're going to do it anyway.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Who said this? I find most of the time when someone is defending the idea of deterrence, it's a player who has forged a career or would like to continue a career based on the idea. I haven't heard many Averys, Marchands, Claude Lemieuxs etc say that, and their careers certainly wouldn't bear it out.

One of the issues is that no one really has to fight if they don't want to, yes. That's a reality of the situation that isn't going away, so I'm not sure I get what point you're making. Another reason is that the players you want to deter are often players who will likely jeopardize their mid-six figures income if they show they can be deterred. Do McLeod's punches hurt $500,000 per year worth?

Reactions: Dactyl and Krams

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The forward group is bad because it has no talent. I'm as big of a critic as anyone else on here, but it all boils down to the fact that they lack talent, both at forward and defense.(Not to mention the coach is a big problem too.)

Cody McLeod isn't fixing anything. He's helping the tank, at best.
He's a distraction from everything that needs to be fixed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He certainly wasn't a shrimp but he wasn't exactly huge, and he was decent enough to beat up non-fighters but he wasn't exactly Derek Boogaard.

He was well below average at the role he was supposed to play.

Again I'm not claiming Glass should be in the NHL. What I am saying is he's a tough guy.

Go over to hockeyfights.com. The proof of whether he is tough is there. The same with McLeod. It's a database that pretty much tracks all the fights in all the leagues and 100% of all NHL fights end up on video there and about 90% of AHL fights. Glass doesn't fight softies and quite often fighting guys bigger than him. He's not Booggard-no. He's not 6'7 with seriously long arms. You will note if you do look through his videos that Glass wins more than he loses. You might also note that the qualitiy ratings for his fights tends to be a lot higher than the norm. He's had one NHL fight this year with Zach Kassian who is a pretty tough guy and Glass wins that and Kassian is bleeding a lot afterwards from somewhere on his forehead.

I'll make another comment. A guy like Brendan Smith in his own way is as tough as Glass. Not that he'd beat Glass in a fight. That's unlikely....but in that he's willing to take a beating and for a teammate....that's guts and I think every team needs guys with that kind of a mentality. Smith has courage. Not everyone on the Rangers does.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe not Marchand because that ****er could put up 90 points, but Shaw and guys like him literally get paid millions of dollars just to be *******s. I think they're going to do it anyway.

Yeah I hear what you’re saying, some of those guys have been around for a while, but just speaking personally, would it deter me? I think it would. From listening to interviews from past and present players, it is something they feel makes a difference. I’m not advocating bringing back guys like Parros or Scott. But I do feel that if the league would remove the instigator I think we would see some of it police itself.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Would everybody sooner see Smith fighting everybody's battles every night ? First thing he would have a busted hand and on the IR ...down another dman ! Maybe this move is to counter the Fishsticks bringing up their giant Ross Johnson . I am almost sure that guys like Zucc and McDonagh Buchnevich do not have one objection to the brass adding some toughness....The only guy that might object might be DD or a Holland type fringe guy .

Deleted member 23124

Tanner Glass, Cody McLeod, Mike Rupp, Derek Boogaard, Donald Brashear, Sean Avery, Colton Orr, Brandon Prust. Henrik hasn't been injured as the result of players taking liberties. He was ran one time by a Eakin who lost his mind momentarily. We've injured Anderson, Fleury, and Price that I can remember during Vigneault's tenture. We've injured more goalies than any other team.

I wish people would just admit they want more sock and boppers toughness because it's a release to watch someone punch someone else in the face.
Not ONE of those players stopped anyone from taking pot shots at Ranger players...Henrik has been run more times than you seem to remember. Same with McDonagh and other "top" Rangers. One of the major topics on this board (and others) has been the fact that Ranger players don't stand up for each other.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah I hear what you’re saying, some of those guys have been around for a while, but just speaking personally, would it deter me? I think it would. From listening to interviews from past and present players, it is something they feel makes a difference. I’m not advocating bringing back guys like Parros or Scott. But I do feel that if the league would remove the instigator I think we would see some of it police itself.

Shaw makes $2.5M a year.

I would volunteer to have Parros or Scott punch me in the face for that money.

Maybe that's just me.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Again I'm not claiming Glass should be in the NHL. What I am saying is he's a tough guy.

Go over to hockeyfights.com. The proof of whether he is tough is there. The same with McLeod. It's a database that pretty much tracks all the fights in all the leagues and 100% of all NHL fights end up on video there and about 90% of AHL fights. Glass doesn't fight softies and quite often fighting guys bigger than him. He's not Booggard-no. He's not 6'7 with seriously long arms. You will note if you do look through his videos that Glass wins more than he loses. You might also note that the qualitiy ratings for his fights tends to be a lot higher than the norm. He's had one NHL fight this year with Zach Kassian who is a pretty tough guy and Glass wins that and Kassian is bleeding a lot afterwards from somewhere on his forehead.

I'll make another comment. A guy like Brendan Smith in his own way is as tough as Glass. Not that he'd beat Glass in a fight. That's unlikely....but in that he's willing to take a beating and for a teammate....that's guts and I think every team needs guys with that kind of a mentality. Smith has courage. Not everyone on the Rangers does.
You beat me to the punch Eco....touching on Smith's willingness to step up for the rest of the team.....something that he cannot do every game with our D being thinned out already . Great points !!!!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Who said this? I find most of the time when someone is defending the idea of deterrence, it's a player who has forged a career or would like to continue a career based on the idea. I haven't heard many Averys, Marchands, Claude Lemieuxs etc say that, and their careers certainly wouldn't bear it out.

One of the issues is that no one really has to fight if they don't want to, yes. That's a reality of the situation that isn't going away, so I'm not sure I get what point you're making. Another reason is that the players you want to deter are often players who will likely jeopardize their mid-six figures income if they show they can be deterred. Do McLeod's punches hurt $500,000 per year worth?

Oh I wasn’t trying to personally attack or anything I was genuinely curious for your thoughts. I’m not for or against it either way, although I think I lean slightly towards feeling it is needed in the game and the pendulum has swung too far to the opposite spectrum, but I do enjoy discussing it with people as long as they can articulate their thoughts.

If you remove the instigator that means it’s removes it at lower levels of pro as well. I’m not sure you’d see as many guys willing to be that type of player long term. It’s sucks taking a pounding all the time.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Oh I wasn’t trying to personally attack or anything I was genuinely curious for your thoughts. I’m not for or against it either way, although I think I lean slightly towards feeling it is needed in the game and the pendulum has swung too far to the opposite spectrum, but I do enjoy discussing it with people as long as they can articulate their thoughts.

If you remove the instigator that means it’s removes it at lower levels of pro as well. I’m not sure you’d see as many guys willing to be that type of player long term. It’s sucks taking a pounding all the time.
Did my post come across as defensive? I didn't feel the slightest bit personally attacked.

I agree that it would be a lousy career. Getting beat up all the time would certainly deter me. But when you add in a $600,000 salary, I'm not sure the stick beats the carrot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Did my post come across as defensive? I didn't feel the slightest bit personally attacked.

I agree that it would be a lousy career. Getting beat up all the time would certainly deter me. But when you add in a $600,000 salary, I'm not sure the stick beats the carrot.

Ok good deal. I reread my post and wanted to make sure it came across correctly.

Reactions: Thirty One

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Not ONE of those players stopped anyone from taking pot shots at Ranger players...Henrik has been run more times than you seem to remember. Same with McDonagh and other "top" Rangers. One of the major topics on this board (and others) has been the fact that Ranger players don't stand up for each other.

I mean, you're kind of shooting your point in the foot. Some of the toughest mofos in the league in the last 10 years is on that list. Some of the biggest pests in the league in the last 10 years is on that list. Yet, "Not ONE of those players stopped anyone from taking pot shots at Ranger players". Doesn't that kind of tell you about the effectiveness of "deterrents" in the form of enforcers?

Who WILL deter pot shots then? Current NHL #1 tough guy Ryan Reeves was in the lineup when Justin Schultz was boarded from behind into the boards while on his knees by Dustin Brown.

Fights and standings up for players adds comradery but this stuff about goalies being ran and players receiving pot shots. It's just hockey as hockey as always been and will always be.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Part of me is sitting here going through the pages in this thread and saying to myself I'd almost rather have Tanner Glass back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad