Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Cody McLeod

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I view McLeod as a last ditch effort on their part to try to get the team to over performer.

Is it possible this claim was made to appease certain factions within the hierarchy of management?

If it works, and the team does over perform, no reason to sell off some of the remnants of the past.

If it doesn't, that faction was given an olive branch which they perceive as a chance.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The rangers had one of the most stacked teams in history...and it took 2 game 7s for Keenan to get a win...

Keenan was an awful coach. A truly awful coach.
Maybe. But he was behind the helm of a team that did something no other Rangers team has done in nearly 80 years. And is in no danger of doing again. So his list of accomplishments outstrips any other Rangers coach in that time line.

Reactions: leetch99

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Maybe. But he was behind the helm of a team that did something no other Rangers team has done in nearly 80 years. And is in no danger of doing again. So his list of accomplishments outstrips any other Rangers coach in that time line.
Hey. Someone gets it!!

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
A. Dead first in knowledge of restaurants
B. 32/378 in the degree to which his pre-game playlists are both extensive and diverse
C. 5th best in decibels of riotous laughter greeting his average joke among forwards who have told at least 100 jokes since 2015

I'll call that a wipe.

:laugh:

Somewhere Tanner is shedding a tear...

Reactions: Harbour Dog

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
McLeod is a bluechip prospect, I’ve followed his career closely and you guys are in for a treat. He means business, he’s the type of player you win championships with, he has all the intangibles and a work ethic I haven’t seen since Ed Jovanovski. He will lead us to the cup

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think his nickname should be the Highlander.

Scary part is that he is immortal. He'll be slotted in the lineup forever. Unless someone takes his head.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
That may well be. And I do know that he almost destroyed '94 and Messier was the glue. But the guy was a winner. And will hold a special place in my heart for bringing the Cup to NY. At the rate this is going, that may be the only one I get to see.

A lot of info points to the notion the the team won despite him, not because of him, If anything, evidence imo points to the idea that the team possibly failed to win other cups because of him. Even this post of yours here supports that notion. Out of curiosity, what would you say he did to contribute overall in a positive way to winning the cup?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A lot of info points to the notion the the team won despite him, not because of him, If anything, evidence imo points to the idea that the team possibly failed to win other cups because of him. Even this post of yours here supports that notion. Out of curiosity, what would you say he did to contribute overall in a positive way to winning the cup?
I think that he was the man for the job. There team did not win in spite of him. His bulldog mindset permeated through the team. Yes, Messier was the glue but Iron Mike extracted special performances from players. If a team could win it all in spite of someone, then the Rangers would have won under Roger Nielsen.

And the team failed to win other Cups because they completely decimated any semblance of the farm system.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

There’s no such thing as a team winning despite their coach.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
There’s no such thing as a team winning despite their coach.
That's just false. Talent can make up for poor coaching on all levels. The lower the level, the easier it is for talent to make up for poor coaching. If you want to tell me it didn't happen in this case I'm open to a well argued stance here. But if you honestly believe what you just said you're utterly and completely wrong.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I think that he was the man for the job. There team did not win in spite of him. His bulldog mindset permeated through the team. Yes, Messier was the glue but Iron Mike extracted special performances from players. If a team could win it all in spite of someone, then the Rangers would have won under Roger Nielsen.

And the team failed to win other Cups because they completely decimated any semblance of the farm system.
Nielsen never won so that's a low bar to set. We know Nielsen failed. We know Keenan only presided over a single cup winning team. A team full of generational talent that had proven it was good enough to be a Presidents Trophy winner and cup contender before he arrived. Just saying that there is nothing to suggest they won bc of him. He was there, can't erase that fact. But all the behind the scenes info and everything else he did suggests that maybe he gets a lot more credit than he deserves.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's just false. Talent can make up for poor coaching on all levels. The lower the level, the easier it is for talent to make up for poor coaching. If you want to tell me it didn't happen in this case I'm open to a well argued stance here. But if you honestly believe what you just said you're utterly and completely wrong.

In small samples, that’s true. But over the long term, I absolutely believe it. The coach always has a positive hand in success.

Reactions: shinchanyo

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nielsen never won so that's a low bar to set. We know Nielsen failed. We know Keenan only presided over a single cup winning team. A team full of generational talent that had proven it was good enough to be a Presidents Trophy winner and cup contender before he arrived. Just saying that there is nothing to suggest they won bc of him. He was there, can't erase that fact. But all the behind the scenes info and everything else he did suggests that maybe he gets a lot more credit than he deserves.
Nielsen had essentially the same team that Keenan had. The Rangers did not win solely because of him, but he did have a hand in it.

His career is a tale of two cities. Take a look at what he did with Philly & with Chicago. And the Rangers. After that, it was all down hill.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Nielsen had essentially the same team that Keenan had. The Rangers did not win solely because of him, but he did have a hand in it.

His career is a tale of two cities. Take a look at what he did with Philly & with Chicago. And the Rangers. After that, it was all down hill.

But Nielsen never coached the 93-94 Rangers, just the Rangers before that. Maybe he'd have coached them to a cup too. maybe he'd have coached us past jersey and Vancouver in just 5 games without needing to trade away talent and maybe he'd have gone on to win another one with us. Maybe not

I've just never seen anything pointing to why Keenan was beneficial and exactly how beneficial he was. Most of what i see suggests he had a small effect on that team and a large effect on messing up the future. I was just curious if there was more than just the mentality.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He played 2 more 5v5 minutes than Nash tonight.

He played more than 10 minutes total in a game with the Preds once this season. Back to back games with 12 minutes with us @SA16

I'm tired, man. Tired. Tired and angry.

Reactions: SA16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->