Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I believe he can play 9 or 10 games this season without it counting towards a pro year. Do playoff games count towards those 9-10 games?

Yes playoff games count

The 10th game burns yr 1 of his ELC. It takes 40 games to count as a pro year for UFA purposes.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ehlers won't play. He'll practise with the team but they won't subject him to NHL playoff games. It will be the exact same situation as it was with Petan last season in St. John's. The excuse will be that he's played a hell of a lot of hockey.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Ehlers won't play. He'll practise with the team but they won't subject him to NHL playoff games. It will be the exact same situation as it was with Petan last season in St. John's. The excuse will be that he's played a hell of a lot of hockey.

When did the Jets send Petan to St Johns?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Last year for their playoff run. Or, at least there was a discussion about it. I know they sent one of the junior forwards there, but he didn't play any games.

They sent Ryan Olsen to St Johns to practice. Petan was playing a 7 game series against the Oil Kings.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehle should play if the Jets make the playoffs
He will bring that speed element that Kane voided not he is injuried.

He should be fine on the LW with Lowry
a cup run always needs just the rigt mixture of veterans, skilled players, great goaltending, sacrifice and a springkle of rookie(s) that can make a difference in this kind of series.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Not sure that's gonna happen, maybe if injuries force it. Putting a young player into that situation is asking a lot.

If the Jets haven't addressed their depth on the wing by the time the playoffs come, I'd say call up Ehlers for a few days of practicing with the team and then let him play the last few regular season games. Let's say 5 or so. See if he can bring something special to the team. If so, let him play the first 4 playoff games. At that point we probably have a pretty good idea if we're going anywhere in the playoffs and how important he is to our playoff run. If he gives us the depth to go deep into the playoffs, then I could live with burning a year. It won't affect his UFA status either way.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Craig Button said something like 'this is the kind of scorer that Winnipeg hasn't seen since Teemu Selanne....'

That's definitely a thrilling possibility, but let's not forget Selanne came into the league at age 22 with a man's body and 4 years of professional experience in Finland. It's also worth noting that guys like Bob Essensa were considered competent goaltenders in that era.

I think Ehlers will be ready next year. Whether he can fill Kane's offence, that's left to be seen. He might after a year or two in the league.

To me, the offence Kane provides is minimal. Probably it's the least valuable part of his game. He has an insanely low shooting %, and essentially one move when he gets the puck: charge up the left side, gain the zone, get cut off by the d-man, take a low value shot, miss the net, give up possession. He's a dynamite penalty killer however, and a big-time hitter. If Ehlers doesn't outproduce Kane offensively, you'll hear people start calling him a bust. Ehlers isn't going to be knocking guys off of any pucks. Comparing him to Kane is like comparing Enstrom to Bogo. They have 2 very different ways to contribute.

There is a chance we get a chance to see him against some big guys if Denmark picks him for the iihf wc and the Jets allows him to go. Think that could be a great experience for him to face some players who are much stronger than him and plays at high level although it not being nhl level. Could be a nice test for him and my mouth waters by the thought of ehlers on big ice.

I totally forgot about this! I think it would be great if the Jets would let him play in this tourney. Ehlers and Bjorkstrand along with Eller, Boedker and Nielsen (I wonder if I'm related?) are starting to become heroes to a lot of little Danish boys, I think. Hopefully, that means another legitimate hockey country churning out prospects in the near(ish) future.

Also, seeing them take on grown men for national pride sounds like a great test for our skinny viking.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Not sure that's gonna happen, maybe if injuries force it. Putting a young player into that situation is asking a lot.

The great ones can rise to the challenge

lots of rookies gets to play in the playoff before really playing regular season games.

Jets 1.0 had such a player :handclap:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes
there are plenty of venters playing wing.
And to my recollection lots of D men on their off side.

But what's the point of your post?

You just randomly listed 5 players, 2 are playing in the NHL and 3 are not.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
If Kane is moved, it would be nice to see Chevy pick up an additional 1st rounder and pick Timo Meier.

Skilled big guy that has good chemistry with Ehlers that seems to be rocketing up the ranks.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Like this
LLW
PSB
EPL
PST/ ??
Bogo Enstrome
Stu Troub
Chariot Morrisey
??
What would you change?

Lowry is going to play center. Why would they move him now? They moved Perreault to wing to keep him at center.

I would not re-sign Slater. Frolik is probably still a Jet. Buff will play D.

3rd line of Ehlers Lowry Frolik is a possibilty. Ehlers might actually play RW on the 2nd.

Petan probably starts in the AHL maybe Morrissey too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad