Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
We disagree , there are lots of current players that are his weight and he was over 170 at camp and likely will be at 180 next year.

The 70's had some nasty hockey players that were allowed to be just that ... nasty . Thinner build players with elite talent have always been part of the game and excelled. That won't change.

Jets don't and won't rush , but they will let the player decide that for them ala Trouba. Regardless of whether it is next year or the year after , the Jets have drafted smaller extremely talented players and they aren't expecting those players to grow several inches and put on 25 punds of muscle , Ehlers won't need to be much heavier or thicker than he is now imo .
I suspect he is talking about the change in player sizes over time.

6' wasn't small in the 70s. The average height of NHLers was shy of 6'. League average height is 6'1 now. Average mass would have changed too.

I don't think anyone was contesting the idea that smaller players can have success - more so that the comparison is outdated.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

Different era and game of course , what I am saying is his so called lack of size is really way over blown imo . There are and were lots of players that are similar or of a slighter build that have been big point producers.

In the NHL era the JETS one superstar was about the same size as Nik when he came to us at 18 and I am pretty sure he would do just as well coming to us now as he did back then.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011

6' wasn't small in the 70s. The average height of NHLers was shy of 6'. League average height is 6'1 now. Average mass would have changed too.

I don't think anyone was contesting the idea that smaller players can have success - more so that the comparison is outdated.

Not sure how accurate it is but the Halifax Mooseheads have Ehlers currently listed at 176 pounds. If that's accurate, he's not that far off from being close to NHL ready in terms of size. I believe his weight when he was drafted was around 165 pounds.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I should have been more accurate, I too believe his size is fine.

But he really does need to get stronger, and better defensively.

I honestly think a 3rd year in junior could possibly stunt his progression.
He cheats, and at times it just seems like it's to easy for him, like he knows he doesnt have to bother to much.

Same with the WJAC Tourney, not counting the USA game where he did not show his best due to, I think, not really caring.

jetkarma*

No doubt the average size has increased but to me that isn't much of an issue. When Bossy broke in ( which is the timeline in this instance ) players were allowed to be flagrantly nasty . It was much more accepted to be viloent , dirty , and while penalties were called it was a different game in that regard.

After the whistle , when no one was looking , clutch and grab that countered great speed and the ability to handle the puck at top speed was prevalent.

Comparison is salient imo , and Ehlers body is very similar to Bossy's at the same age.

jetkarma*

Not sure how accurate it is but the Halifax Mooseheads have Ehlers currently listed at 176 pounds. If that's accurate, he's not that far off from being close to NHL ready in terms of size. I believe his weight when he was drafted was around 165 pounds.

He was 164 at the combine and over 170 in September . He's never going to be much more than in the 180's imo . He should get stronger , and will , but that isn't a must imo to determine if he will be ready next year or not . Other factors will determine that , if those are positive his weight and strength won't stop him from making the big club .

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I remember all the talk about Trouba in the summer of 2013 and in the pre-season last year. "He needs a year or two on the rock" was the prevailing opinion.

There were a few of us that disagreed with that opinion and suggested he'd never play a game for the Ice Caps.

Ehlers will be playing for the Jets next season.

jetkarma*

No doubt the average size has increased but to me that isn't much of an issue. When Bossy broke in ( which is the timeline in this instance ) players were allowed to be flagrantly nasty . It was much more accepted to be viloent , dirty , and while penalties were called it was a different game in that regard.

After the whistle , when no one was looking , clutch and grab that countered great speed and the ability to handle the puck at top speed was prevalent.

Comparison is salient imo , and Ehlers body is very similar to Bossy's at the same age.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I remember all the talk about Trouba in the summer of 2013 and in the pre-season last year. "He needs a year or two on the rock" was the prevailing opinion.

There were a few of us that disagreed with that opinion and suggested he'd never play a game for the Ice Caps.

Ehlers will be playing for the Jets next season.

I was one of those who thought Trouba was special enough player to make it sooner rather then later. My early thoughts are Ehlers will make it next season, as he seems to be that good. But it wouldn't surprise me if he was back in junior as the vast majority of junior eligible players finish off their junior careers, even those who go on to be top NHL players. That being said I don't think he ever plays a game on the Rock, unless it is a late season playoff run similar to Morrissey last year.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I was one of those who thought Trouba was special enough player to make it sooner rather then later. My early thoughts are Ehlers will make it next season, as he seems to be that good. But it wouldn't surprise me if he was back in junior as the vast majority of junior eligible players finish off their junior careers, even those who go on to be top NHL players. That being said I don't think he ever plays a game on the Rock, unless it is a late season playoff run similar to Morrissey last year.

KB. I respect your posts - you're on the mark more often than not. I just don't think Ehlers has anything more to prove in Jr. next year. He's just too damned good to play another season in the Q.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In the NHL era the JETS one superstar was about the same size as Nik when he came to us at 18 and I am pretty sure he would do just as well coming to us now as he did back then.

It states that Hawerchuk was 5'11/185. Not sure how big he was in 1981 though. My favorite Jets memory of Ducky was from the 1987 playoffs when he easily took down Gretzky, with the Jets down 3-0 in the series, late in Game 4.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
FirmRepulsiveBull.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
KB. I respect your posts - you're on the mark more often than not. I just don't think Ehlers has anything more to prove in Jr. next year. He's just too damned good to play another season in the Q.

Didn't I say I expected him to make it next year? That he seems that good. I just wouldn't be surprised that he spends another year in junior as I believe the organization will have the vast majority of their junior eligible players play out their junior eligibility. They seem willing to be very patient.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I know there are some that are concerned about Ehlers defensive game - for me, it's not a concern. He's still playing juniors, and if you've forgotten, Scheif used to cheat all the time at the junior level. He started changing his game in the last year of juniors, but didn't really put everything together until partially into his first year of the NHL.

Ehlers has a lot of time to work on the defensive part of his game: for now, I'm happy to see his nose for the net, and his burgeoning offensive production, great shot, and creativeness.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, I'm not concerned about it. But I'd like him to start developing it at the pro-level. I don't want to waste two years of his offense in Junior and AHL trying to develop his defensive game.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, I'm not concerned about it. But I'd like him to start developing it at the pro-level. I don't want to waste two years of his offense in Junior and AHL trying to develop his defensive game.

I agree after watching some of the game yesterday. Our system is now so dependent upon defensive play that he has to be more responsible in that area to make the jump. Having said that, I'm sure he is smart enough to know that and I'm sure the jets have made that clear as well.

I have no concerns that aren't likely being addressed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know there are some that are concerned about Ehlers defensive game - for me, it's not a concern. He's still playing juniors, and if you've forgotten, Scheif used to cheat all the time at the junior level. He started changing his game in the last year of juniors, but didn't really put everything together until partially into his first year of the NHL.

Ehlers has a lot of time to work on the defensive part of his game: for now, I'm happy to see his nose for the net, and his burgeoning offensive production, great shot, and creativeness.

Agreed. At this point there is no need to be unduly worried about Ehlers defensive game. He is far from the only highly skilled offensive minded junior age player that will need to develop their defensive game as the move to the pros. And being a winger the transition should be easier for him. Defense can be learned. What he brings offensively you need to be born with. I fully expect him to be a defensively sound offensive catalyst for the Jets in coming years. He will be fun to watch.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I agree. This year in junior is an opportunity to push and further develop offensively. Pretty hard to work on a pro game in that environment. The other side of the game can be taught later.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ehlers role on Halifax and the Danish team is to generate pretty much all the offense. He won't be asked to do the same thing in Winnipeg. He seems like a very coachable kid and I have no worries with him transitioning his game at some point. Not sure if he will be ready for that or not next season? At some point he will be a dynamic professional in the NHL though.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The good thing is as a winger there's not a whole lot Ehlers has to do on the defensive side to play at an NHL level. Obviously he needs to backcheck better and not cheat out of the zone, but those aren't exactly difficult things to teach and learn.

Heck he might already be good at them already, but at this level when he's as good as he is offensively he's more useful to his junior team when he cheats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad