Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I feel Keefe is a tough guy to judge.

He had some good seasons. Everyone knows about the Leafs offensive star power but last year the Leafs also finished 4th in goals against.

To me it also seemed like he wasn’t allowed to coach the Leafs stars. I have never seen a coach needing to do a press conference to apologize to his stars after saying his best players haven’t been their best players. Shanahan lets the inmates run that asylum.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Keefe would be interesting. He's done well in offensive metrics because he's had offensive all-stars. I would be curious how he would do with a more balanced roster and an all-star goalie.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I feel Keefe is a tough guy to judge.

He had some good seasons. Everyone knows about the Leafs offensive star power but last year the Leafs also finished 4th in goals against.

To me it also seemed like he wasn’t allowed to coach the Leafs stars. I have never seen a coach needing to do a press conference to apologize to his stars after saying his best players haven’t been their best players. Shanahan lets the inmates run that asylum.
That last paragraph is my biggest qualm about Keefe. I think he seems like a good coach, albeit somewhat of a dick which I'm sure I'd be fine with if he coached the Jets, but did the stars get off scot free because of him or Shanahan? Or was that just playing the media?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I’m not for or against Keffe but…

Poor playoffs at nhl level (although he took leafs farther than they’d been in 20 years last year) he’s won in playoffs at other levels he’s coached including won a Calder cup

And

Good power play, not poor
Put Hely on the Leafs and see how much better they would have done............oh, never mind!:huh:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As with FA's and trade restrictions it will come down to the best coaches available who are willing to move their families to a small market in the middle of the prairies. Like it or not, that impacts the jets on all these types of decisions. Its a factor, albeit not the only factor of course, a good team helps.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As with FA's and trade restrictions it will come down to the best coaches available who are willing to move their families to a small market in the middle of the prairies. Like it or not, that impacts the jets on all these types of decisions. Its a factor, albeit not the only factor of course, a good team helps.

What you are saying is something people need to remember ....

TNSE may have a list of 20 people they see as potential coaches, but not all of those 20 people see Winnipeg as a potential place to coach.

The Jets IMO will never get the best coach available, just the most willing to work here coach.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure, Winnipeg's not for everyone, but there are only 32 NHL head coaching jobs in the known universe.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Sure, Winnipeg's not for everyone, but there are only 32 NHL head coaching jobs in the known universe.
Exactly.
1715364617806.png

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
True - and there seem to always be a few opening especially this time of the year - and the best opening usually go to the best coaches (and vise versa) -
IOW's, there are usually choices for the coaches / teams that are open and a pecking order to go with it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
True - and there seem to always be a few opening especially this time of the year - and the best opening usually go to the best coaches (and vise versa) -
IOW's, there are usually choices for the coaches / teams that are open and a pecking order to go with it.
5 openings right now (and we'll see what happens with Carolina). Available coaches:

Brad Shaw
Bruce Boudreau
Claude Julien
Craig Berube
D.J. Smith
Dallas Eakins
Dan Bylsma
Dave Hakstol
David Quinn
Davis Payne
Dean Evason
Don Granato
Geoff Ward
Gerard Gallant
J.D. Forrest
Jay Woodcroft
Jeff Blashill
Jeremy Colliton
Joe Sacco
John Gruden
Karl Taylor
Kevin Dineen
Kirk Muller
Lane Lambert
Marco Sturm
Mike Yeo
Phil Housley
Scott Arniel
Seth Appert
Sheldon Keefe
Todd McLellan
Todd Nelson
Todd Reirden
Trent Yawney

That's just former head coaches and current assistants and a few AHL guys. Some of them suck. But there are at least 5 good ones in that group...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

A bunch of these coaches are still being paid from their old job. Like Keefe's extension hasn't kicked in yet. For some, not all, the choice between hanging out at home or moving to Winnipeg is pretty easy.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
5 openings right now (and we'll see what happens with Carolina). Available coaches:

Brad Shaw
Bruce Boudreau
Claude Julien
Craig Berube
D.J. Smith
Dallas Eakins
Dan Bylsma
Dave Hakstol
David Quinn
Davis Payne
Dean Evason
Don Granato
Geoff Ward
Gerard Gallant
J.D. Forrest
Jay Woodcroft
Jeff Blashill
Jeremy Colliton
Joe Sacco
John Gruden
Karl Taylor
Kevin Dineen
Kirk Muller
Lane Lambert
Marco Sturm
Mike Yeo
Phil Housley
Scott Arniel
Seth Appert
Sheldon Keefe
Todd McLellan
Todd Nelson
Todd Reirden
Trent Yawney

That's just former head coaches and current assistants and a few AHL guys. Some of them suck. But there are at least 5 good ones in that group...
Is there a reason you omitted the DUOHFJ (Democratic Unit of HF Jets)? :sarcasm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A bunch of these coaches are still being paid from their old job. Like Keefe's extension hasn't kicked in yet. For some, not all, the choice between hanging out at home or moving to Winnipeg is pretty easy.
These guys have the competitive fire in their bellies. They'd rather coach than sit around on the dole. A mere handful of openings in the hockey world's most exclusive club come up every year...unless they've got a better offer, they'd all jump at the chance to coach here.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Do we really trust this GM and owner ...who decided the best thing to do when Maurice retired was to promote Dave Lowry instead of going outside the organization... to not screw this up?

That's all I want. Try your best, do the right thing, and hire the best coach you can. I will be truly disappointed if we go thru the whole summer to just have Arniel announced as the new head coach this fall.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Do we really trust this GM and owner ...who decided the best thing to do when Maurice retired was to promote Dave Lowry instead of going outside the organization... to not screw this up?

That's all I want. Try your best, do the right thing, and hire the best coach you can. I will be truly disappointed if we go thru the whole summer to just have Arniel announced as the new head coach this fall.
I think we all better ne prepared to be disappointed, the plan looks like Bones was going to be here for 2 years and Arniel would take over, is that still the plan? I guess we will find out when all the other top fight coaches go elsewhere.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

I will be upset if it's arneil as well but naming lowry as interim instead of hiring a coach mid season was 100% the correct thing to do

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What you are saying is something people need to remember ....

TNSE may have a list of 20 people they see as potential coaches, but not all of those 20 people see Winnipeg as a potential place to coach.

The Jets IMO will never get the best coach available, just the most willing to work here coach.

I think this only impacts the 5 star coaches. Most everyone else is going to take a job if offered as their is very little supply.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

He moved to Florida... but I wouldn't say he's retired

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
These guys have the competitive fire in their bellies. They'd rather coach than sit around on the dole. A mere handful of openings in the hockey world's most exclusive club come up every year...unless they've got a better offer, they'd all jump at the chance to coach here.
I think you're right that a lot of these guys would jump at a chance to coach anywhere - says a lot about the list.
But I agree - there will be options in Wpg - it's not like nobody wants to come here.
But I think the best of the best will go to the best locations - which really goes without saying.

Personally, I want to see someone that is willing to drive the players in a system and hold everyone accountable - and not worry about pissing anyone off.
I'm less concerned about system type / scheme or whatever - I think our challenges have more to do with players doing what they are asked to do (consistently) and less about the plan (but I get that you need a plan).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think this only impacts the 5 star coaches. Most everyone else is going to take a job if offered as their is very little supply.
Doesn't even have to be 5 star - the best available coaches will go to the most appealing, available locations.
Best case scenario is to have very few opening - but that's a catch 22 since for every opening, a coach is made available.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Doesn't even have to be 5 star - the best available coaches will go to the most appealing, available locations.
Best case scenario is to have very few opening - but that's a catch 22 since for every opening, a coach is made available.

It's why it's almost sometimes better to grab a top up and coming coach looking to establish themselves. I'd have to think we'd be very attractive to a coach like Nelson due to the quality of team we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad