Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Id consider sending Ehlers to the NLA or SHL next season, I doubt he will have bulked enough by next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Id consider sending Ehlers to the NLA or SHL next season, I doubt he will have bulked enough by next season.

Lots can change in several months, and I wouldn't bank that much on a couple of exhibition games. I think he's just messing around and gearing up for the WJHC. Jets fans have a pretty good read on his capabilities and limitations based on his play in the off-season and pre-season. He needs to bulk up and get better coaching, but he certainly has the dynamic skill to play in the NHL, even at his size. However, the Jets have shown that they won't rush a prospect.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Lots can change in several months, and I wouldn't bank that much on a couple of exhibition games. I think he's just messing around and gearing up for the WJHC. Jets fans have a pretty good read on his capabilities and limitations based on his play in the off-season and pre-season. He needs to bulk up and get better coaching, but he certainly has the dynamic skill to play in the NHL, even at his size. However, the Jets have shown that they won't rush a prospect.

Agreed :)

I just think the d first mindset of the SHL and to a lesser extent the NLA, would do him good.

No doubt he has the skill and is dynamic enough for the NHL. Just worried he'd get bullied. He is a smart kid, and with good coaching he wont be cheating / taking the easy way out on offense.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Even Chevy has said he doesn't really need to "bulk up" as they're wary of him losing his greatest asset in his speed. All he needs to do is prove he can play and handle the NHL game and it's incredibly likely he'll show he can next year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd never really considered Sweden as a potential stop gap if he's outgrown junior. Sounds like a fine option though. Developing him into more of a complete player than pure scorer will serve him and us better on our journey towards a Cup.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Lack of bulk doesn't seem to be hurting Johnny Hockey. With a good off-season Ehlers could play in the big show next year.

That's a good point.

Smaller players than Ehlers have shown they can play well in the NHL, and Chevy didn't even tell him to bulk up, he told him to get stronger.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Sending him overseas, wasn't exclusively for him to bulk up, but to improve his defensive game and round out his overall offense, he has the tools, but a year in a mens league would do him good. ofc. if he is ready for the big league next year, no reason - But another year in the Q will only stunt his progression imo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sending him overseas, wasn't exclusively for him to bulk up, but to improve his defensive game and round out his overall offense, he has the tools, but a year in a mens league would do him good. ofc. if he is ready for the big league next year, no reason - But another year in the Q will only stunt his progression imo.

Assuming Ehlers doesn't make the Jets (not ready to say yet) how does he get out of his contract with the Mooseheads? Wouldn't they have to allow him to go. Why would Halifax do that? The Jets have no say in this matter really. Unless they keep him on the NHL roster he is returned to the CHL by agreement.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Ehlers will adjust when he get's good coaching. I admit sometimes he plays like 14 year old in D-zone, but I'm certain that coach like Paul Maurice will make those misplays disappear. Couple more pounds would be also nice, but as Johnny Hockey have shown. Size doesn't matter if you have enough skill.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Ehlers will adjust when he get's good coaching. I admit sometimes he plays like 14 year old in D-zone, but I'm certain that coach like Paul Maurice will make those misplays disappear. Couple more pounds would be also nice, but as Johnny Hockey have shown. Size doesn't matter if you have enough skill.

Niky Hockey!

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
How much bigger does he need to get? What is he now, 170? He will naturally get a little bigger over the next year or two, probably settle in around 180. I think he is going to be with the Jets next season, in fact I will be very surprised if he is not. He really is that good.

jetkarma*

As I have mentioned several times , though their games are not identical , they both had/have dynamic offensive skills and very very similar builds.

Bossy was a lithe 170 ish when he was a rookie and was 6 feet. Pretty identical to Ehlers and imo while he will and should get stronger , that is not and won't be an issue as early as next year.

I spoke with John Shannon at the young stars tournament a fair bit and we talked mostly about Ehlers , he loves his game and sees no reason he won't play early and be effective. He thought he had a 50/50 chance to make the Jets this year fwiw.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
So....what you are really saying here between the lines is: EHLERS = BOSSY = 50 in 50 ?!

As I have mentioned several times , though their games are not identical , they both had/have dynamic offensive skills and very very similar builds.

Bossy was a lithe 170 ish when he was a rookie and was 6 feet. Pretty identical to Ehlers and imo while he will and should get stronger , that is not and won't be an issue as early as next year.

I spoke with John Shannon at the young stars tournament a fair bit and we talked mostly about Ehlers , he loves his game and sees no reason he won't play early and be effective. He thought he had a 50/50 chance to make the Jets this year fwiw.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Being 6 foot, 170 lbs in 1980 does not = being 6 foot, 170 lbs in 2014.

I knew he wasn't going to stick this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he only gets a taste next year. I think the Jets know how special he is and will not rush him at all.

jetkarma*

So....what you are really saying here between the lines is: EHLERS = BOSSY = 50 in 50 ?!

Different era and game of course , what I am saying is his so called lack of size is really way over blown imo . There are and were lots of players that are similar or of a slighter build that have been big point producers.

jetkarma*

Being 6 foot, 170 lbs in 1980 does not = being 6 foot, 170 lbs in 2014.

I knew he wasn't going to stick this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he only gets a taste next year. I think the Jets know how special he is and will not rush him at all.

We disagree , there are lots of current players that are his weight and he was over 170 at camp and likely will be at 180 next year.

The 70's had some nasty hockey players that were allowed to be just that ... nasty . Thinner build players with elite talent have always been part of the game and excelled. That won't change.

Jets don't and won't rush , but they will let the player decide that for them ala Trouba. Regardless of whether it is next year or the year after , the Jets have drafted smaller extremely talented players and they aren't expecting those players to grow several inches and put on 25 punds of muscle , Ehlers won't need to be much heavier or thicker than he is now imo .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->