Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure about this jetsfareast.

I would prefer to forgo the extra 10 to 15 points a season Nik may get by cheating on his D assignments to have him play a tidy two way game. With his speed and skill he can still be a game breaker for us. Our team generates enough offense and there are never enough "scoring" 200 foot players on a team. Give me 65 to 70 points in a season from a two way player vs 80 points from a Kessel type any day. Once a star starts cheating to get his points and his money its like cancer. Now who knows maybe he will be talented enough to generate a PPG during his prime while doing his job in all three zones.

Edit: to GermanJetsFan point he will always be a guy we lean on for offense and PMo will allow room for that "within the system" I'm sure........yea but not like his WJC style of play. For the record I think he needed to play that way on that team and it was probably by design.

I agree with you on this one PS. Ehlers will need to learn to be responsible defensively to be an effective NHLer. Doesn't mean he won't have a ton of offensive opportunities, but you can't cheat on your defensive responsibilities looking for them. We can't lose site that Ehlers won't just jump into the NHL and immediately be a point per game player. Hopefully he gets there but along the way Maurice will need to trust him not to be a liability. We don't want a Yakapov on your hands where a ton of talent is/was wasted by not developing the structure to be effective in the NHL. I'd prefer that Ehlers become a P.Kane proto-type. A guy with the offensive talent to be a perennial 90-100 point guy, but instead plays a team game and gets 70-80 points most seasons. And along the way was a big contributor to a couple cups. Now compare that to a Kessel who cheats for a few more points but is a disaster in his own end and in the room.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not sure about this jetsfareast.

I would prefer to forgo the extra 10 to 15 points a season Nik may get by cheating on his D assignments to have him play a tidy two way game. With his speed and skill he can still be a game breaker for us. Our team generates enough offense and there are never enough "scoring" 200 foot players on a team. Give me 65 to 70 points in a season from a two way player vs 80 points from a Kessel type any day. Once a star starts cheating to get his points and his money its like cancer. Now who knows maybe he will be talented enough to generate a PPG during his prime while doing his job in all three zones.

Edit: to GermanJetsFan point he will always be a guy we lean on for offense and PMo will allow room for that "within the system" I'm sure........yea but not like his WJC style of play. For the record I think he needed to play that way on that team and it was probably by design.

I agree with you on this one PS. Ehlers will need to learn to be responsible defensively to be an effective NHLer. Doesn't mean he won't have a ton of offensive opportunities, but you can't cheat on your defensive responsibilities looking for them. We can't lose site that Ehlers won't just jump into the NHL and immediately be a point per game player. Hopefully he gets there but along the way Maurice will need to trust him not to be a liability. We don't want a Yakapov on your hands where a ton of talent is/was wasted by not developing the structure to be effective in the NHL. I'd prefer that Ehlers become a P.Kane proto-type. A guy with the offensive talent to be a perennial 90-100 point guy, but instead plays a team game and gets 70-80 points most seasons. And along the way was a big contributor to a couple cups. Now compare that to a Kessel who cheats for a few more points but is a disaster in his own end and in the room.

Totally agree.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Ehlers continues to be magical: Last night he extended his point streak to 26 games. Longest in the whole CHL.

He currently has 27 goals and 42 assists for 69 points in 34 games.

Story

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...in the midst of a dark couple of days, I thought I should post this about something bright on the Jets horizon.

Notice how many of the scouts talk about Ehlers' terrific hockey sense and vision, along with his obvious physical attributes.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
...in the midst of a dark couple of days, I thought I should post this about something bright on the Jets horizon.

Notice how many of the scouts talk about Ehlers' terrific hockey sense and vision, along with his obvious physical attributes.

I really feel like I needed this hug today.

thx Whileee

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
If things stay the way they are and Halifax misses the playoffs, is it possible to have Ehlers up at the end of the year? If so, does that burn a year on his contract if he plays X amount of games (does that include playoff games as well?)?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Ehlers is having a monster year, putting up staggering numbers.

He is 2" shorter and 15 lb lighter than Kane, and can play LW.

He's clearly ready to get into the pro game, he's playing way above his competition right now.

Is he ready for the big club though?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Ehlers will be ready next year. Whether he can fill Kane's offence, that's left to be seen. He might after a year or two in the league.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If things stay the way they are and Halifax misses the playoffs, is it possible to have Ehlers up at the end of the year? If so, does that burn a year on his contract if he plays X amount of games (does that include playoff games as well?)?

As long as he doesn't dress for 10 NHL games (playoff games count) his ELC contract will slide.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think he's physically mature enough for the NHL game yet. I won't be surprised if he spends another year in junior.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I think Ehlers will be ready next year. Whether he can fill Kane's offence, that's left to be seen. He might after a year or two in the league.

I think he'll be good to go next year as well. He's nearly as good as Drouin offensively and from what I hear plays a stronger 200 foot game than Drouin did.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I don't think he's physically mature enough for the NHL game yet. I won't be surprised if he spends another year in junior.

If Gaudreau is physically mature enough for the league then Ehlers is.

The only question is if his skill can translate and that can only really be answered by playing in the NHL. I think he'll really need to screw up to not make the Jets next year considering what he's doing in the Q.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
If Gaudreau is physically mature enough for the league then Ehlers is.

The only question is if his skill can translate and that can only really be answered by playing in the NHL. I think he'll really need to screw up to not make the Jets next year considering what he's doing in the Q.

I'm just basing this off of how I saw him play in the pre-season and how the Jets handled Scheifele.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I'm just basing this off of how I saw him play in the pre-season and how the Jets handled Scheifele.

I believe his play in the pre-season warrented getting sent down and I believe that it has helped further develop his offensive game. I also believe that the WJC was a great experience for him.

A lot has changed for him between the pre-season and now, and he still has a summer of training to go until next season rolls around. As for how they handled Scheifele, I think they'll just bring in prospects when they believe that they're ready. Trouba only needed 1 year in the NCAA, but he was also a unique case. But there is a precedent for this organisation.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Before this season Chevy said that Ehlers was surprisingly strong for his size and they weren't looking for him to gain weight so much as gain some strength. He didn't want him to lose one of his best assets - quickness. But he certainly didn't seem to think he was that far away from being physically able to play at the NHL level.

I would be very surprised if Ehlers plays another year of junior. I think he is going to knock the door down in camp next year.

Concerns about his defensive play are over-blown. He is very smart, intense and coachable. He'll pick us defensive responsibilities quickly.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Before this season Chevy said that Ehlers was surprisingly strong for his size and they weren't looking for him to gain weight so much as gain some strength. He didn't want him to lose one of his best assets - quickness. But he certainly didn't seem to think he was that far away from being physically able to play at the NHL level.

I would be very surprised if Ehlers plays another year of junior. I think he is going to knock the door down in camp next year.

Concerns about his defensive play are over-blown. He is very smart, intense and coachable. He'll pick us defensive responsibilities quickly.

There is a chance we get a chance to see him against some big guys if Denmark picks him for the iihf wc and the Jets allows him to go. Think that could be a great experience for him to face some players who are much stronger than him and plays at high level although it not being nhl level. Could be a nice test for him and my mouth waters by the thought of ehlers on big ice.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There is a chance we get a chance to see him against some big guys if Denmark picks him for the iihf wc and the Jets allows him to go. Think that could be a great experience for him to face some players who are much stronger than him and plays at high level although it not being nhl level. Could be a nice test for him and my mouth waters by the thought of ehlers on big ice.

Yeah, the Ice Caps aren't making the playoffs and I'm not sure if the Jets would bring him up to play for the tail end of the season and potentially burn a year of his ELC. The World Championships would definitely be a good test and development experience for him...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, the Ice Caps aren't making the playoffs and I'm not sure if the Jets would bring him up to play for the tail end of the season and potentially burn a year of his ELC. The World Championships would definitely be a good test and development experience for him...

Jets could play him for several games at the end of the season without burning a year...

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i don't expect many draft year players to look good on a playoff-level team.
Ehlers was getting babied shift-wise and linemate-wise. we forget that.
he also looked much better in his last game.

i'd put down good v-cash on him making the team. he'd have to Morrissey it during training camp to not make the team, and even then, all things considering, i think he'd still get 10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad