Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One thing I notice about Ehlers is that he rarely needs to look down at the puck - he always has his head up with the puck. On the goal illustrated above, he is watching the scene in front of the goal as he picks his spot for the shot. That is high-end talent.

He will need to improve his defence, but I think it's just a matter of coaching. He's a smart player with a good attitude.

I also think his conditioning will need to improve. He gets gassed during his shifts and late in the game, and that impedes his defensive play.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
One thing I notice about Ehlers is that he rarely needs to look down at the puck - he always has his head up with the puck. On the goal illustrated above, he is watching the scene in front of the goal as he picks his spot for the shot. That is high-end talent.

He will need to improve his defence, but I think it's just a matter of coaching. He's a smart player with a good attitude.

I also think his conditioning will need to improve. He gets gassed during his shifts and late in the game, and that impedes his defensive play.

Well he also takes huge shifts and plays a billion minutes a game, both for team and country.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think the 'gassed' thing is most likely due to the ridiculously long shifts he takes, Whileee - another junior'ish habit that he'll have to break when he joins the Jets.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

I noticed this as well especially during the power play. The decision is made before the puck hits his stick. Either move it, pass, or shoot.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
People are being hard on Ehlers for no reason

People are simply pointing out habits that will have to change in the NHL - completely legitimate to have concerns about areas of a players game, IMHO. For me, he's got the offense figured out, which is the hard part. He's a smart kid: learning defense and proper NHL habits regarding shift lengths are easy in comparison as you can coach those things.

Can't really coach offensive ability and vision though.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think lots has to do with the fact he plays for Denmark, If he was a swede or Canadian or American for that matter, finnish, really name it other than a dane, he probably wouldn't be relied upon as much to be the guy scoring all the goals for them.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think lots has to do with the fact he plays for Denmark, If he was a swede or Canadian or American for that matter, finnish, really name it other than a dane, he probably wouldn't be relied upon as much to be the guy scoring all the goals for them.

This sums it up pretty much :)

I think Olaf Eller (Danish Coach) is pushing him and Bjorkstrand to take these long shifts.
Ehlers does not take as long shifts for the Moose.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Who is a good NHL comparable for Ehlers?

When he was drafted, I remember reading he might be Gaborik-lite, but I'm not sure I see it.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The speed and ability to handle the puck at full stride is a similarity. Agree that Bure was much 'heavier' in build though.

I see the similarities, no doubt :)

Just stating that Bure had a much thicker build and was very strong for his size.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Kariya might be the best comparable for Ehlers in terms of previous NHLers. They have the same vision and ability to handle the puck at high speed. Ehlers might be a bit more focused on scoring and Kariya more focused on playmaking.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Nik Ehlers sitting at >2 PPG right now. 25GP w/ 20G 33A.

Kid should have a bright future here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Kariya might be the best comparable for Ehlers in terms of previous NHLers. They have the same vision and ability to handle the puck at high speed. Ehlers might be a bit more focused on scoring and Kariya more focused on playmaking.

Interesting comparison. I can definitely see some Karyia in him. Karyia tended to be better at slowing the game down IMO but Ehlers does have a lot of similar traits.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting comparison. I can definitely see some Karyia in him. Karyia tended to be better at slowing the game down IMO but Ehlers does have a lot of similar traits.

That is a nice ability to have. I think maybe Ehlers has the opposite ability. Because of his ability to do things at top speed he can speed the game up. A lot of good players will have trouble operating at his speed. Just a thought.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That is a nice ability to have. I think maybe Ehlers has the opposite ability. Because of his ability to do things at top speed he can speed the game up. A lot of good players will have trouble operating at his speed. Just a thought.

Its definitely a great ability to have.

Ehlers is a truly dynamic talent, I just think people forget how truly dominant Karyia was in his prime. He could do it all offensively.

Elite skater, stick handler, shot arsenal, vision and passing and elite level hockey sense.

If Ehlers turns out close to Karyia we have a top 3 player in the league on our hands.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Im not worried about Ehlers defense, i dont't want him to be a 200 ft players. Jets have too many of those already.

Jets need a game breakers with a killer instict.

in the future When Ehlers go out on his shift with Schiefele and Kane.
I want him attack attack attack, make the other team play on their heels.

With Trouba and Morrissey at the back end of that 5 man unit.
Or even Bogo and you still have Enstrom and maybe Buff.

Jets will be more stronger and have added another dimension to their arsenal.

Im not saying Ehlers is a Patrick Kane type player but he will be good for the Jets.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Im not worried about Ehlers defense, i dont't want him to be a 200 ft players. Jets have too many of those already.

Im not saying Ehlers is a Patrick Kane type player but he will be good for the Jets.

We do?

I have no desire for an Ovi/Kessel type players who have all the offensive skill in the world but don't apply themselves at both ends of the ice.
Not to mention 200 ft games is how we're getting to the playoffs.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
You both are right. Ehlers NEEDS to work on his two-way game, no matter what. Yes he can be an offensive dynamo but that doesn't negate the aspect that he should and will have to be defensibly responsible, if he wants to play on the Jets... and this is a good thing.

I think he'll get the rookie treatment first and mostly in his rookie season: He plays sheltered minutes and PoMo wants him to find his confidence and game in the NHL, not being too strict with his two-way game but always reminding him that he needs to develop it. But as soon as his sophomore season starts, PoMo will demand responsibility and pride in his back-check and 200 ft game.

Overall, Nik Ehlers will always be a player who is more looking to score than to defend and that's okay, but I don't want his attitude to be like it was at the WJC, for example, but then again, the NHL and the Jets is a totally different situation... maybe he was actually told to rover around and only care about scoring? Who else should do it for Denmark besides him and Bjorkstrand.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Im not worried about Ehlers defense, i dont't want him to be a 200 ft players.Jets have too many of those already.

Not sure about this jetsfareast.

I would prefer to forgo the extra 10 to 15 points a season Nik may get by cheating on his D assignments to have him play a tidy two way game. With his speed and skill he can still be a game breaker for us. Our team generates enough offense and there are never enough "scoring" 200 foot players on a team. Give me 65 to 70 points in a season from a two way player vs 80 points from a Kessel type any day. Once a star starts cheating to get his points and his money its like cancer. Now who knows maybe he will be talented enough to generate a PPG during his prime while doing his job in all three zones.

Edit: to GermanJetsFan point he will always be a guy we lean on for offense and PMo will allow room for that "within the system" I'm sure........yea but not like his WJC style of play. For the record I think he needed to play that way on that team and it was probably by design.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We do?

I have no desire for an Ovi/Kessel type players who have all the offensive skill in the world but don't apply themselves at both ends of the ice.
Not to mention 200 ft games is how we're getting to the playoffs.

Interestingly the Caps are a much better team this year with Ovi playing more of a team game and paying more attention to defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad