Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Meh. I'm not so sure about Makar it's sooo hard to really judge how good his offense really is because of the league he plays in. I can see the appeal but I think I'd rather have Foote, Timmins or maybe even Hague.

Yea I am not sure about Makar either.....if that's who we draft fine but I would just as soon take a guy like Foote. Late birthday, small, and the AJHL are all causes for some caution.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A tonne of mocks have us taking Suzuki. Hopefully that is who we get. I'd be thrilled.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Meh. I'm not so sure about Makar it's sooo hard to really judge how good his offense really is because of the league he plays in. I can see the appeal but I think I'd rather have Foote, Timmins or maybe even Hague.

Why not Brannstrom? I think he might be the best of the bunch. One of the youngest in this year's draft. Almost a year younger than Makar.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Really underrated. High IQ versatile player who can PP and PK. Excellent skater and isn't afraid to get physical either. His bread and butter lies in his playmaking skills. He has one of those never quit motors where he can make plays where it seems like there aren't any. His play style is a lot like Backstrom though that isn't a direct comparison just a play style comparison.

Why? Cause he's a heck of a hockey player. He reminds me of Bryan little when he plays. This guy would be a good pick at 13. I'd take lilejgren and Pettersson over him but that's cause I'm high on them, see my list. I pick Suzuki over the other two as he'd be BPA imo.

My only concern with him is he reminds me of Petan.

I'm aware these draft picks after Nico and Nolan are not ready for NHL until at least a year or two, so maybe by the time Suzuki would be ready we'd have a place for him (I'm assuming coaching stays the same and we run Lowry as 3C leaving only 4C for Petan which wastes his potential I think)

I'll be very surprised if he is taken before 13 - for those who want him you may be in luck. I'll defer to the experts if we end up picking him at 13 (could be worse for sure) but I'm intrigued by the forward/center value available through trade via a well stocked D cupboard so I'm hoping there is a dman the Jets like there (and one that has some proof of potential with more than a height stat).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A tonne of mocks have us taking Suzuki. Hopefully that is who we get. I'd be thrilled.

Yea I would be thrilled with Suzuki as well. Hell of young player I mean in this playoff alone as a draft eligible he has led Owen Sound in scoring and put them on his back. He put up 23 points in 17 games which is level with studs like Dylan Strome who is 2 years his senior. Even in the regular season he scored close to 70% of his points at even strength as the #1 centre on a strong team.

There is more to his game that scoring too because he is a pretty complete player with a really high hockey IQ and a motor that goes all the time.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I'm aware these draft picks after Nico and Nolan are not ready for NHL until at least a year or two, so maybe by the time Suzuki would be ready we'd have a place for him (I'm assuming coaching stays the same and we run Lowry as 3C leaving only 4C for Petan which wastes his potential I think)

I'll be very surprised if he is taken before 13 - for those who want him you may be in luck. I'll defer to the experts if we end up picking him at 13 (could be worse for sure) but I'm intrigued by the forward/center value available through trade via a well stocked D cupboard so I'm hoping there is a dman the Jets like there (and one that has some proof of potential with more than a height stat).

Petan was undersized and Suzuki is not undersized though? They play the game quite differently at the same age.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Why not Brannstrom? I think he might be the best of the bunch. One of the youngest in this year's draft. Almost a year younger than Makar.

I’d be fine with it but I doubt the Jets seriously consider him. Personally I’m still looking at Timmins, Hague and Foote and have the feeling that Foote is the guy.. There are a couple other D I think will be really good but don’t see the Jets loving them. There are a few others I’d be pleasantly surprised though with

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He's already taller and heavier than Petan. Wouldn't be surprised if he tops out at 5'10.5-5'11 and 200 pounds which is closer to Crosby's height/weight than to Petan's. He's more physical than Petan and plays a more defensive oriented game. I'd say he is a better skater as well.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
If my numbers aren't wrong, which they may very well be, Suzuki's line had the best 5on5 goal differential of any trio playing in the OHL this season.. And that was with 17YO Jonah Gadjovich and 18YO Kevin Hancock, so its less likely that he was being carried by superior players.

Looking at the statistical package and adding in the fact that he's very young in a class where most of the standouts are quite old, and he becomes a super intriguing pick.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I’d be fine with it but I doubt the Jets seriously consider him. Personally I’m still looking at Timmins, Hague and Foote and have the feeling that Foote is the guy.. There are a couple other D I think will be really good but don’t see the Jets loving them. There are a few others I’d be pleasantly surprised though with

I'd be fine with Foote.

Brannstrom seems like a bit of a sneaky Morrissey-like pick, though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Baring something unexpected, either getting a C like Necas, Petterson, or Suzuki, or a D like Valimaki, Foote, or Brannstrom sounds good to me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If my numbers aren't wrong, which they may very well be, Suzuki's line had the best 5on5 goal differential of any trio playing in the OHL this season.. And that was with 17YO Jonah Gadjovich and 18YO Kevin Hancock, so its less likely that he was being carried by superior players.

Looking at the statistical package and adding in the fact that he's very young in a class where most of the standouts are quite old, and he becomes a super intriguing pick.

There are going to be some very nice and intriguing options at #13.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Petan was undersized and Suzuki is not undersized though? They play the game quite differently at the same age.

He's already taller and heavier than Petan. Wouldn't be surprised if he tops out at 5'10.5-5'11 and 200 pounds which is closer to Crosby's height/weight than to Petan's. He's more physical than Petan and plays a more defensive oriented game. I'd say he is a better skater as well.

I just wonder why he was in 20-30 range for most of the year? Looking at his numbers more and play he is really strong on the puck and obviously knows how to score. Is it still a height factor even in a draft where AJHL 5'10 Cale Makar is in the top 10?

I'm really skeptical of guys who move up near the end of the year - to a fault - (took me until Laine and Puljujarvi's NHL seasons started to fully believe Laine was clearly BPA)

ftr am not rooting against this guy and won't be disappointed if we pick him - its not a huge reach at 13 - Just want to know why we'd take him over one of the high ranked defenders and others I've consistently seen in top 10 (Liljigren, Petersson, Valimaki, etc)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I just wonder why he was in 20-30 range for most of the year? Looking at his numbers more and play he is really strong on the puck and obviously knows how to score. Is it still a height factor even in a draft where AJHL 5'10 Cale Makar is in the top 10?

I'm really skeptical of guys who move up near the end of the year - to a fault - (took me until Laine and Puljujarvi's NHL seasons started to fully believe Laine was clearly BPA)

ftr am not rooting against this guy and won't be disappointed if we pick him - its not a huge reach at 13 - Just want to know why we'd take him over one of the high ranked defenders and others I've consistently seen in top 10 (Liljigren, Petersson, Valimaki, etc)

Not sure if you are talking about Suzuki? Have to admit I haven't really seen him at all, so have no clue what's there. I've seen a lot of Välimäki though and quite sure the kid has a nice NHL career ahead of him. Plus he doesn't bring in much if any question marks. One of the better D-men in the draft and has at least #2D upside. So of course I'd be disappointed if the team passed up on him. Also is Petersson even a center? The kid has tons of skills for sure, but if he doesn't have future as a center then I'd go for the defender (at least as long as Välimäki is there). This draft you either pick a defender or center. The scouting staff really needs to know what they are doing. One or some of these later picks will turn out gems. The real question is which ones?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Thinking about Makar.... I'm wondering what Brannstrom would do to AJHL opposition, and he's almost a year younger than Makar.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Because he is criminally underrated. Suzuki could be one of those guys that when we look back on this draft he is a top 5 pick in a redraft and everyone wonders why he wasn't ranked higher.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thinking about Makar.... I'm wondering what Brannstrom would do to AJHL opposition, and he's almost a year younger than Makar.

Probably wreck it. Liljegren, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Foote, Hague, Timmins. All those guys would destroy at the AJHL level. Plus many more dmen in this draft.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I believe it is strictly a byproduct of this draft class. I have never seen a class that has a tier as spread out as the second group this year. Suzuki could easily be one of the better players in this class outside the top two when we look back in 5 years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I believe it is strictly a byproduct of this draft class. I have never seen a class that has a tier as spread out as the second group this year. Suzuki could easily be one of the better players in this class outside the top two when we look back in 5 years.

I agree. It's almost impossible to predict the order of picks in the mid-round, including the Jets pick.

At this point, I have a few pet favourites, with almost no clear rationale other than "I like them".

Pettersson - No-brainer. We need a Swedish forward who has slick hands and can QB a PP.

Suzuki - Another smart, skilled, high motor C like Roslovic.

Brannstrom - If you are going for a mobile, puck-moving D I think he's top drawer. I have no idea whether he can defend, but the fun he could create with Laine, Ehlers, Scheifele and Connor is ridiculous. Reminds me of a modern-day Housley. He's perfected the lob-pass, but does it on the move and tape-to-tape.

Vesalainen - I have no idea whether he is consistent, or why he didn't produce better in the SHL, but he was miles better than other forwards in the U-18. Big. Fast. Skilled. Put him with Armia or Wheeler and watch them torment opposing Ds. Jets don't need wingers, but he might be the BPA, which is fine in my books.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree. It's almost impossible to predict the order of picks in the mid-round, including the Jets pick.

At this point, I have a few pet favourites, with almost no clear rationale other than "I like them".

Pettersson - No-brainer. We need a Swedish forward who has slick hands and can QB a PP.

Brannstrom - If you are going for a mobile, puck-moving D I think he's top drawer. I have no idea whether he can defend, but the fun he could create with Laine, Ehlers, Scheifele and Connor is ridiculous. Reminds me of a modern-day Housley. He's perfected the lob-pass, but does it on the move and tape-to-tape.

Vesalainen - I have no idea whether he is consistent, or why he didn't produce better in the SHL, but he was miles better than other forwards in the U-18. Big. Fast. Skilled. Put him with Armia or Wheeler and watch them torment opposing Ds. Jets don't need wingers, but he might be the BPA, which is fine in my books.

Suggest that Suzuki has the most chance of actually staying at center in the NHL, with Pettersson likely finding his place at winger. Might shift the choice in favour of Suzuki ?

Also, might want to take a look at Lias Anderson as possible choice for future center position - could develop into a fine 2nd line center?

But all these guys mentioned are good choices in the 13 th spot.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Hey...

Whil...EEE...

tumblr_o64k2iPK4B1toamj8o1_1280.gif

Liking your step back jump shot against the "Mob"...

Most of us don't make our living evaluating talent...

Some of us just have passion for hockey globally and in particular under 20's (Me and You fit this profile)...

I like Petterson a lot... as you described... just think the Jets need to bite the bullet and draft D'men...

Suzuki... never seen him play... no comment... can't...

Brannstrom fits my profile... like him as a pick...

Vesalainen... a forward, but agree... head and shoulders against his peers in the U-18... very intriguing... if all the decent D' dry up before 13... sure, why not...

Question... why no mention of Foote, who I have seen a lot... or Cale Makar who I have seen some... ?

:popcorn:

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Suggest that Suzuki has the most chance of actually staying at center in the NHL, with Pettersson likely finding his place at winger. Might shift the choice in favour of Suzuki ?

Also, might want to take a look at Lias Anderson as possible choice for future center position - could develop into a fine 2nd line center?

But all these guys mentioned are good choices in the 13 th spot.

wouldn't even be mad with getting andersson. seems like the type of player the jets have yet to draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hey...

Whil...EEE...

tumblr_o64k2iPK4B1toamj8o1_1280.gif

Liking your step back jump shot against the "Mob"...

Most of us don't make our living evaluating talent...

Some of us just have passion for hockey globally and in particular under 20's (Me and You fit this profile)...

I like Petterson a lot... as you described... just think the Jets need to bite the bullet and draft D'men...

Suzuki... never seen him play... no comment... can't...

Brannstrom fits my profile... like him as a pick...

Vesalainen... a forward, but agree... head and shoulders against his peers in the U-18... very intriguing... if all the decent D' dry up before 13... sure, why not...

Question... why no mention of Foote, who I have seen a lot... or Cale Makar who I have seen some... ?

:popcorn:

Mostly because Foote and Makar have had a lot of promotion.

Actually, I like Foote a lot. He's really smart, has decent tools, just really solid. Hard not to see him as an NHLer, and a good shot at a top 4.

For some reason I like Brannstrom as much as Makar. Just something about his poise and creativity that I really like. Kid won't turn 18 until the fall - almost a full year younger than Makar. I'm trying to imagine what Brannstrom would do to the AJHL next season, when he'd be about the same age as Makar was this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad