Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I don't know much about valimaki but it sounds like a forced pick

Is he really the best at 13 or they just thinking about fixing holes?

I'd rather draft a forward, preferably centre
But if suzuki is the real deal take him. Can't hurt to stock up on forwards . Can always move around later on

Maybe we can get a real deal centre next draft?

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

But if suzuki is the real deal take him. Can't hurt to stock up on forwards . Can't always move around later on

Valimki is not a reach at 13 at all he had 61 points in 60 games in the WHL playing for Tri-City this past season and is a heck of a D man. I would put him on the same tier as Suzuki and would have zero problem with either of them being taken at #13.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Looking for advice on where to find the best pre-Draft Prospect information? Thx!

Your best bet may be to buy the hockeyprospect.com black book when it comes out. Very detailed and a ton of work goes in to it.

Podcasts or radio shows are fun to listen to in the car. Hockey prospect radio, the draft analyst, and the pipeline show might be good places to start!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Your best bet may be to buy the hockeyprospect.com black book when it comes out. Very detailed and a ton of work goes in to it.

Podcasts or radio shows are fun to listen to in the car. Hockey prospect radio, the draft analyst, and the pipeline show might be good places to start!

Agree. This is a good resource.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Valimki is not a reach at 13 at all he had 61 points in 60 games in the WHL playing for Tri-City this past season and is a heck of a D man. I would put him on the same tier as Suzuki and would have zero problem with either of them being taken at #13.

Valimaki is one of the older D in this draft class. He plays on a team with 3 high scoring D, so it's possible that some of his production is due to a system that creates more D scoring. Wotherspoon on the same D had 66 points and Coghlan had 53 points. I think it's too simplistic to just look at the raw production.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Valimaki is one of the older D in this draft class. He plays on a team with 3 high scoring D, so it's possible that some of his production is due to a system that creates more D scoring. Wotherspoon on the same D had 66 points and Coghlan had 53 points. I think it's too simplistic to just look at the raw production.

When I have watch him I see a pretty solid player and I have him as one of the top 5 D men of this draft class.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Agree. This is a good resource.

x3

Mark and his team work hard and spend allot of time in the rinks evaluating. It would be my top choice of available products.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When I have watch him I see a pretty solid player and I have him as one of the top 5 D men of this draft class.

That's fine. I was just cautioning against over valuing points on a team that seems to generate a lot of offense from the defense. These sorts of variables really should be considered when looking at production.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Looking for advice on where to find the best pre-Draft Prospect information? Thx!

I'm actually working on getting a site up and running that will focus on exactly that. Unfortunately I don't think it will be ready for the 2017 draft so we will likely start with 2018 draft prospects.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

But if suzuki is the real deal take him. Can't hurt to stock up on forwards . Can always move around later on

I would be moderately surprised if Valimaki is availiable at 13, and I expect that others rank him similarly high

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Someone did that post a week ago where they polled each teams board and got an idea of what each team will take. Has anyone done a post lottery take on that? for example Vancouver can't choose Hirschier now (lol), Dallas gets their first pick of Defence, etc.

It hurt a bit to see the Jets logo at 13 but the excitement from last year makes it worth it. Better year to pick at 13th for sure. Also means if Jets narrowly miss the playoffs next year we may pull a Philadelphia lol in 2018

Whileee

May 29, 2010
these players feel like reaches to me

Maybe Brannstrom seems like a reach, but I'm very high on him too. Seems like a Krug type. Really like his skills and the pace of his game.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Anyone know why the Jets would want Suzuki? Seen quite a few mock drafts with us picking him over Valimaki, Liljegren, Petersson, Branstrom, etc

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone know why the Jets would want Suzuki? Seen quite a few mock drafts with us picking him over Valimaki, Liljegren, Petersson, Branstrom, etc

Why? Cause he's a heck of a hockey player. He reminds me of Bryan little when he plays. This guy would be a good pick at 13. I'd take lilejgren and Pettersson over him but that's cause I'm high on them, see my list. I pick Suzuki over the other two as he'd be BPA imo.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Really underrated. High IQ versatile player who can PP and PK. Excellent skater and isn't afraid to get physical either. His bread and butter lies in his playmaking skills. He has one of those never quit motors where he can make plays where it seems like there aren't any. His play style is a lot like Backstrom though that isn't a direct comparison just a play style comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad