Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2214465

Some posts from the previous thread:

He also has us picking a finn

IMG_3374.jpg

yea i'd be so happy if valimaki was available and we took him. if makar was still there i think i'd faint..

otherwise brannstrom would probably be my preference.

and opposite goes for rasmussen. please stay away from that guy.

i think of the strong forwards necas has the best chance of falling to us. would be all over that too

He definitely could be there and I wouldn't mind having him. One of the things I really like about Necas is he is a faceoff wizard. Kid is a beast on the draw. Something the Jets really struggle with. He could be ready in as little as 2 years after a year in the AHL as well given he spent a full season in the Czech pro league putting up decent numbers for a 17/18 year old. He's more of a playmaker which could work well with Laine/Connor. A lot of people say he is to slight to play C but he's 6'1 and 170. He just needs to bulk up a bit to be more effective.

McCagg now has Jets taking Necas in most recent mock.

Also apparently Jim Benning was going on about Rasmussen in a recent interview. Poor poor pooooooor Canucks fans...

https://twitter.com/Feel_Tha_POWER/status/858541584207499265

from the robin salo thread. maybe we should be looking harder at this guy? would be an absolute steal in the 2nd

I would love Salo. His skating isn't as good. But solid pick in the 2nd round.

As shown with Mark Stone, you can improve skating. >_>

Absolutely. Just don't bank on it. More guys don't improve their skating then do. Which is why he'd be a decent 2nd rounder.

i was trying to figure out why he wasn't rated higher a while back and never figured it out. then i saw this and was pretty floored. he always looked really solid to me. his game will translate well i think. his IQ is high, defensive positioning is strong and he can move the puck. more than makes up for the slight knock on his skating imo.

Skating is a big thing for dmen in todays NHL. It's so crucial to be able to compete well enough. But I do think guys can improve their skating. It's all about whether you can pick out which guys have the drive to improve because honestly it takes a tonne of work to be able to get better in that area of your game.

that's true. now that i think of it the jets seem to weigh skating pretty heavily when choosing Dmen so he may not even be on their radar. sure hope he is though.

definitely not a bad thing but i'd like to see them lean towards high IQ guys more in the future

Which of the prospects that could fall around our 13th pick has been most improved over the past year or two? Jets seem to like those guys.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Most improved around 13? My personal ranking says Yamamoto. On pace for 110 point season from his 89 point pace last year.

But I don't think the Jets would have him in the 1st round. To small for them.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Which of the prospects that could fall around our 13th pick has been most improved over the past year or two? Jets seem to like those guys.

Ah, yes - the riser. Could be a good value pick at 13. Admittedly, I have not followed the draft eligible prospects at all, so I have no real horse in this subject. All I know is I've been pining for a defenseman in this draft, and Chevy stated that his focus would like to be on defensemen. Here's hoping that they identify a couple of good ones that they can draft.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Some interesting news on Mittelstadt saying he wants to finish his 4 year degree at U of Minn. Could drop his stock a bit in the draft.

I'm hoping it's an underhanded Jets draft conspiracy so he drops to us at 13. And he is a one and done.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone interested in doing some regional scouting for a startup scouting website? Looking for OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL, NCAA, Finland, Czech, Sweden, Swiss and Russian regional scouts looking to maybe make a name for themselves and contribute on a new website that focuses on the NHL entry draft, QMJHL entry draft, OHL priority draft, WHL bantam draft, CHL import draft and USHL draft. I figure what better place to look for new up and comers than here on HFJets first. PM me for more details. I want to get my new website up and running for the 2018 draft. This will definitely be more hobby scouting at first (unpaid) but if all goes right it could lead into different avenues individually and as a whole. Do not worry I will cover all costs of the site and if anything changes you will be notified. I'm not looking for people to buy in, just looking for people who have a passion for watching and evaluating draft prospects and will be able to do so in a critical way as this site will focus heavily on strengths and weaknesses. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Some interesting news on Mittelstadt saying he wants to finish his 4 year degree at U of Minn. Could drop his stock a bit in the draft.

I'm hoping it's an underhanded Jets draft conspiracy so he drops to us at 13. And he is a one and done.

I'll be at Eden Prairie this weekend...hoping to see some Middlestadt regalia.

(If it's the degree he's interested in, he can finish it in the summers.)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vesalainen is a dark horse pick. Hard to pass on his skill level. He dominated at the U-18.

Like Necas a lot, too.

Poehling seems sort of like a TNSE pick. Doesn't seem to have a lot of offense.

I think there are going to be surprised in the top 12, so some interesting options for the Jets.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I remain very confident we will draft a top 5-7 ranked TNSE prospect. This is an odd year that lacks the punch of the past two drafts at the top but is pretty interesting in the tier we are in. Look at that TSN top 15 grid and there is lots to like in that 11-15 range.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Vesalainen is a dark horse pick. Hard to pass on his skill level. He dominated at the U-18.

Like Necas a lot, too.

Poehling seems sort of like a TNSE pick. Doesn't seem to have a lot of offense.

I think there are going to be surprised in the top 12, so some interesting options for the Jets.

It will be a fun draft to watch. With the 5-15 grouped so tightly I think we see a lot of surprises. I think we also see some consensus picks out of the top 15 rise draft night. Seems quite likely there will be a player or 2 the Jets really like at #13.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think that I'd like Hague or Brannstrom on D at 13, but some lists don't even have Hague in the first round. What's up with that?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I want Brannstrom but unless Garret or someone gets a whiff of something I have zero idea who the Jets like. Not going to hope for any specific player other than hopefully it's a defenseman that's BPA on their board at our pick.

Valimaki, Liljegren if he drops, Brannstrom, Foote, whatever.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Foote or Välimäki, or someone who falls massively. That's my wishlist. Even though we dropped, I absolutely love how the lottery played out. The chances of us getting Liljegren improved in my books, but I still don't think we'll luck out that much.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, Button has some similar thoughts to the top 12 I posted a few days ago, notably Mitts and Tippett as fallers:
1. Patrick
2. Hischier
3. Glass
4. Heiskanen
5. Liljegren
6. Vilardi
7. Makar
8. Pettersson
9. Mittelstadt
10. Rasmussen
11. Suzuki
12. Tippett

But now we pick #13 and I have to add a few to the list! I think Suzuki may be too skilled to pass up at 13 if he slides and may be BPA there. The other forward I think Id have ranked 13 on my list would be Necas. As for D it would be Valimaki there for me. I think the Jets may look at some risers though as they always do and there is no shortage to choose from. But Im just hoping Liljegren falls there and snatch him up!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Most improved around 13? My personal ranking says Yamamoto. On pace for 110 point season from his 89 point pace last year.

But I don't think the Jets would have him in the 1st round. To small for them.

He is a great prospect but I don't have him in my top 13 and that is before factoring in how we have butchered Petan's development here.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well, Button has some similar thoughts to the top 12 I posted a few days ago, notably Mitts and Tippett as fallers:
1. Patrick
2. Hischier
3. Glass
4. Heiskanen
5. Liljegren
6. Vilardi
7. Makar
8. Pettersson
9. Mittelstadt
10. Rasmussen
11. Suzuki
12. Tippett

But now we pick #13 and I have to add a few to the list! I think Suzuki may be too skilled to pass up at 13 if he slides and may be BPA there. The other forward I think Id have ranked 13 on my list would be Necas. As for D it would be Valimaki there for me. I think the Jets may look at some risers though as they always do and there is no shortage to choose from. But Im just hoping Liljegren falls there and snatch him up!

Mittelstadt is incredibly talented kid and if he ever fell to us I would lose my ****. He might have the most skill in this draft. Tippett I have no interest in but he is such a pure shooter/goal scorer someone will bite on him before us IMO (fingers crossed)?

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Välimäki would be perfect fit for Winnipeg but I don't see him getting past Buffalo or Florida who are in desperate need of LHD as well.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Would it be worth it for the Jets to trade down and select two d in the first round? Say, Brannstrom and Hague?

Saint Louis has two firsts..

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Has anyone here seen Morgan Geekie play? Maybe a sleeper pick in the third? Ranked 50th but he may fall due to the fact that he's a year older.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Has anyone here seen Morgan Geekie play? Maybe a sleeper pick in the third? Ranked 50th but he may fall due to the fact that he's a year older.

Skating is a concern. Awkward stride. Big kid though with soft hands kind of Mark Stonish in the way he plays. Like him in the 2nd though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->