NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I still laugh at how Duchene is constantly unhappy.

I traded for him in one of my saves, and had him as second line center and we were a good team. He was still unhappy. I've seen other teams get him in other saves and play him on the top line, and he'd still be unhappy

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
My main screen is lagging as well. Anyway, for those who have done a fair bit of simming how good has the CPU been at managing the cap and getting the players that need to be signed well ugh signed lol Are players like Eichel and Matthews being resigned as RFAs?

they're a lot more willing to buy out horrible contracts, and very smart about choosing which ones are the worst. The trades also seem to make more sense.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I played my first few seasons of franchise mode, and it's definitely an improvement. The salary cap increases quite a bit(maybe...too much) each season, there are actually decent prospects after the first couple of years(well, I've only been in 3 drafts, so this is subject to change, but Buffalo just drafted a guy number 1 overall who has franchise potential and is 83 overall on draft day so he's going to be unreal). The computer does a better job hanging on to their core players. Contract negotiations are better. If a player doesn't want an extension, you have to overpay him pretty heavily to keep him, and even then sometimes they won't sign. It's much easier(cheaper, I guess is a better way to say it) to sign your own guys than sign guys in free agency, which is realistic. Teams offer reasonable deals based around your trade block, and they don't seem to offer the exact same trade multiple times a season like they used to, but there are definitely repeats every once in a while. Age and contract seem to matter quite a lot in trade value. For instance, Zach Parise in my save is like 83 overall with that massive contract and he has very little value, as he should.

It seems like prospect development is slowed down a bit compared to previous years, and that their performance doesn't really matter in terms of how they grow. I almost never have anyone gain any "statistical growth", it's almost always "natural growth". Had a guy who was like 55 overall low elite potential that I picked up super late in the draft. I played him on the fourth line in the AHL, and he was on the second PP unit. He had something like 8 points in 60ish games, but the following season he jumped up to 74 overall. Other prospects have had much better seasons and not improve at all. Still trying to figure it out(if there is a way to figure it out).

Overall I can say I'm finally enjoying a Gm mode for the first time in this console generation. I still don't play with the Owner Mode or Morale on because that's just not part of the game I enjoy, but I'm thrilled they have the option to turn them completely off. Much more enjoyable for me, and it doesn't hurt people who actually like playing with those features. Perfect balance.

Reactions: ShootIt

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
So do I wait for the regular season to start before I can start my franchise mode if Little Caesar's Arena was to be expected to be part of the next update?

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I'd like to know : What's considered to be a good point average per game in EASHL ? I started playing the mode in 2017 but I'm pretty much only playing this mode now in NHL 18.

In the Top 100, I see that the top guys average around 6 or 6,5 points per game but at the bottom end of the Top 100 the average gets as low as 1,9 or 2 points per game.

I was wondering what kind of point production is deemed to be pretty damn good. Thanks !

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I'd like to know : What's considered to be a good point average per game in EASHL ? I started playing the mode in 2017 but I'm pretty much only playing this mode now in NHL 18.

In the Top 100, I see that the top guys average around 6 or 6,5 points per game but at the bottom end of the Top 100 the average gets as low as 1,9 or 2 points per game.

I was wondering what kind of point production is deemed to be pretty damn good. Thanks !

I'd say 3 or 4 PPG. It'll be higher for 3's than 6's. Usually for 6's a good player should average about 4 PPG I would say.

If you look at the top 100 find the top guys with a low DNF those will be the true elite players. Some guys DNF like 20% of their games if they end up on a shitty drop in team. That'll help their plus minus more than PPG i guess.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Does it take anyone else an unnecessary amount of time to load from screen to screen in GM Mode? It could be becuase my system's been on all day but it's taking to long then normal to load. Especially on the main screen. Calendar works fine, but main screen is laaaggyyy.

Yes I'm experiencing this as well. I have a feeling it's related to the new 32 team expansion mode. All the menus are terribly slow and if you switch between NHL and AHL it takes like 5-6s to load the new menus. I haven't tested it yet but I bet if you opened a new classic Franchise mode it wouldn't have the slow menus.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The difficulty for BAP is so weird. Don't know if it's game wide or just that one game mode. I'm a two-way dman. And I'll be honest, I'm not the most offensively gifted player. That's why every time I choose a BAP character I pick defense.
I set it to Pro, and I'm ppg. My team wins 7-2 without me breaking a sweat. I set it to allstar. And I really have to pay attention to box guys out but we end up losing 8-1. Alot of those goals came when I was on the bench. Weird contrast behind the difficulty.

The reward system for gaining stats is also weird. I mean, I get it. You only become better in that one area the more you do it. But it gives you negative points for the weirdest situations some times. Like I have almost no energy. I get put out on the PP. I play literally 3 seconds, and I change, but get negative points for a poor line change lol.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone know how you can submit complaints for them to fix during a patch?

Puck pick-ups is a huge one.
People pulling their goalie when you're on a breakaway needs to go, just program it so they can't pull the goalie if you don't have the puck (who would do this IRL, anyways?)
They also nerfed CPU break-aways to the point it's atrocious.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Last night I made my NHL 18 debut as a goalie (mainly because I was too intoxicated to play forward :laugh:) and I got a shutout. Then when the clock hit zero, the play continued and when the whistle went, the clock reset to 1:59 left. I gave up a goal with like 20 seconds left. Such a piss off. So no shutout...

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The game mostly online is just way too slow and clunky. Yes I know people say well that's how hockey is in real life but I don't think it works for a video game and almost feels like chore to play now. I never really complained much on the series but last year and this year might of actually done it for me this time.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Has abyone tried playing with the broadcast cam angle? It's pretty hard. You can do it with basketball and soccer. Definitely not with football. But with hockey, it's kinda so-so.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Last night I made my NHL 18 debut as a goalie (mainly because I was too intoxicated to play forward :laugh:) and I got a shutout. Then when the clock hit zero, the play continued and when the whistle went, the clock reset to 1:59 left. I gave up a goal with like 20 seconds left. Such a piss off. So no shutout...

I feel your pain. The first game of goalie I played in this game was an EASHL drop-in. I had a shutout going the entire game, and then with 25 seconds left, a guy came in from the left circle and took a low slapper. For some reason, even after I pressed the left trigger prematurely(I play on Alternate G controls), my goalie didn't go down, ad the puck zoomed through my 5-hole, getting a piece of my pad on the way. It was so frustrating, eve though I ended up with a .950 sv%. I wanted the shutout achievement.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
NHL 18 is the biggest piece of trash in the history of Hockey games. Note to EA, catering to tweens who like fancy deeks isn't a way to build a foundation for the game. Playing Defense in the eashl is a joke since the last tuner. Pu

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
NHL 18 is the biggest piece of trash in the history of Hockey games. Note to EA, catering to tweens who like fancy deeks isn't a way to build a foundation for the game. Playing Defense in the eashl is a joke since the last tuner. Pu
As in its too easy? Elaborate...

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Why is it so tough to make trades in Franchise modes even when the value is equal? Is there a trick of some sort to make it a little easier?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Why is it so tough to make trades in Franchise modes even when the value is equal? Is there a trick of some sort to make it a little easier?
Couple things:

1. Trade difficulty is an option you can adjust in game. Easy means pretty much every time the bars are close to equal, the other team will accept. Medium you need to fill needs from their trade block to get an even value deal to go through, and hard I feel like you have to give up a tiny bit more value than you get to even have a chance.

2. Make sure you're offering them players that they want(they'll be in green on your page), and asking for players/picks they want to give up(in red). This is probably obvious to you, but I thought I'd point it out just in case. It makes a HUGE difference.

Reactions: Nugget910

Vilbers

Jenny was the bad guy
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2017
Oh man the Devils are on fire with drafting in my VGK franchise. First they have 1 OA with Hischier obviously, next year they pick second overall J Veleno and year after that they get first OA again and pick a franchise potential sniper.

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
I have actually enjoyed this one. It is the best one since 14. I was thinking of skipping this year but wanted the The Golden Knights in so I picked it up.

I play Franchise the most and so far have seen hidden gems sprinkled throughout the draft. Just picked up a elite potential player in the 7th round, and a future elite goalie in the 5th.

This year they took a step in the right direction and it shows. Still needs some work but they are getting closer

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How long does it take them to put out the opening night rosters? I want the college/Europe a guys in there before I start my season. I could create them, but I’m lazy.

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
My last 3 first round picks have been opening night. I've had one 6th round hit opening night too, though I put him out there a little soon. He was a 73 but was able to keep up.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm trying to collect the mascots on the "threes"Don't have any ps4 friends that play nhl 18 and it says I need to play co op to add the Vancouver mascot. Any one that can hook me up? Thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad