NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I've never understood the "poke check being too overpowered" complaint. You shouldn't ever be able to deke through someone else's stick/body and a higher poke check slider setting solves a lot of those problems. I hated the poke checking in NHL 17. Too many times i felt like i lined it up and timed it perfectly, only for the guy to deke through my defender's stick/body.

If I had to guess, most of the complaints come from people who rag the puck and exploit weak game physics to win games.

Probably. The EANHL community is pretty scrubish in general, with most not knowing how to play "real hockey" so to speak.

Love how they reward hockey I.q in this game. No more Deking through entire teams and exploiting limited defensive options. Defensive skill stick is the best thing to happen in a long time.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Seems like expansion mode is prone to random freezes. Had it freeze during setup and just had it freeze again while simming the first season. Didn't have a single freeze in a 12 season VGK GM mode though. Sigh.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
sorry if I missed it somewhere, but can you customize the period time?

Haven't played in a week, but when I started my franchise it gave the 3 or so options for period length but I couldn't find a way to alter it in settings.
Picked 10 mins, but would rather drop it to 8 or so mins a game.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
My Medicine Hat Dragons haven't had an issue with freezing yet, in our 3rd season.

Might have been bad luck. I went another 3 seasons after that and had no issues except the menus are noticeably slower than normal franchise mode.

Edit- just had another freeze lol

Last edited:

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Having not bought an NHL game since NHL 14, have there been enough improvements/new features to make picking up NHL 18 worthwhile?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Perhaps I am wrong, but going through the franchise creation tools, it's quite sad that a game that has put so much effort in its presentation (which we get from the marketing standpoint ) for the sake of it's gameplay doesn't have every team's goal song. :facepalm:

Having not bought an NHL game since NHL 14, have there been enough improvements/new features to make picking up NHL 18 worthwhile?
Non-gameplay simming? Yes even though the draft still sucks. Gameplay wise? Not enough for me to want to spend 70 bucks. In that 70 bucks you can buy the DLC to Battlefield 1 and any other game DLC as well. Or with another 20 (so 90 dollars), you can buy Destiny 2 with the expansion packs when they eventually come out.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i really regret buying this game

least fun since the first xbox one nhl came out (which i played once before playing the 360 version all year)

Reactions: Leafs87

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Perhaps I am wrong, but going through the franchise creation tools, it's quite sad that a game that has put so much effort in its presentation (which we get from the marketing standpoint ) for the sake of it's gameplay doesn't have every team's goal song. :facepalm:

I'd guess that 31 of the teams haven't even released their goal songs yet...

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
be a pro still poopy makes you play every game

leading my team in goals but get demoted to the 2nd line for a player who has 1 point in 8 games to take my spot

sad

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
be a pro still poopy makes you play every game

leading my team in goals but get demoted to the 2nd line for a player who has 1 point in 8 games to take my spot

sad

maybe you're poopy. I haven't been demoted once even though in 17 I was all over the lineup. It's definitely better now than it used to be.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
i really regret buying this game

least fun since the first xbox one nhl came out (which i played once before playing the 360 version all year)

I didn't think I'd enjoy it this year but I'm loving it.

Last edited:

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
This one is the best one since 15 in my opinion but still hasn't brought to us what it could. Still a lazy job by ea.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It seems like scouting in franchise mode has been nerfed a bit after the last patch. Before the patch I was able to snuff out elite players in the later rounds with ease if I scouted correctly. With the new patch downloaded you have to really look for those late gems now. Makes it a lot more realistic, IMO.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I played NHL 16 and skipped 17. Im thinking about eventually getting NHL 18. What is the overall consensus? I tend to play the GM mode a lot, and the BAP (I like the fact they added "request trade" option ... about ****ing time).

How's the franchise mode when choosing an expansion team?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
It seems like scouting in franchise mode has been nerfed a bit after the last patch. Before the patch I was able to snuff out elite players in the later rounds with ease if I scouted correctly. With the new patch downloaded you have to really look for those late gems now. Makes it a lot more realistic, IMO.

I would be totally fine with this if we could have more than one scout and hire/fire scouts based on attributes and how good they are.

Maybe next year.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
If I merge my custom roster to the newest online roster, will i lose all my player customization? (like adjusted player ratings, jersey tucks, etc.)

I want to know as well, since I've been avoiding editing player ratings incase the roster update messes with them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad