NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Full sim superstar is too ******* hard man.

AI is a cheating bastard in this game on the higher difficulties.

Just finished a game in franchise where the AI had 5 goals on 13 shots and went goal for goal against me in the shootout until I missed and lost. I had 5 on 46 shots.

Not only that, over a two game stretch I put up over 60 shots and didn't score a single goal. One timers, cheese, deflections, nothing worked.

How the hell are you supposed to beat these *****? They can literally score at will it seems

Noticed this aswell. I am actually down to pro with upped difficulty sliders. Way more fair and fun.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nothing is more annoying than playing on the hardest level, out shooting your oppent by a 2-1 ratio, and losing 2-0.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Anybody else having frame rate issues on replays and between the whistles. I’m on a ps4 pro, so it shouldn’t be a hardware issue.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Yep. Seems like 30fps in cutscenes on regular PS4 aswell. Reminds me of NHL 09 which had the same problem.

Also, I think this is the best entry for offline players so far. Not a fan of the online play though.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Is there a way to turn off the aaycer pass button (R1) or at least move it somewhere else? It's the same button as the pokecheck. So every time I successfully poke checks the puck, I always accidentally lose it because I end up passing the puck either to the board or to the opponent.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
22539921_10156741829504418_1206505888607303472_n.jpg

This is pretty incredible to me.
For more reasons than one: no I am not playing as the Blues, no I did not touch any setting as far as goal scoring/per game goes or any points settings (don't even think you can do that). No one is setting him up with like 60 assists. Schwartz is the playmaker right now with only 36 in 40 games. Also I did not even edit Tarasenko's overall or stats, when I did edit alot, including Ovechkin with all 99's in shot.
Will he get 50 in 50? Will he get 60+? Will he get 82? We will seeeee!!!
22539921_10156741829504418_1206505888607303472_n.jpg

This is pretty incredible to me.
For more reasons than one: no I am not playing as the Blues, no I did not touch any setting as far as goal scoring/per game goes or any points settings (don't even think you can do that). No one is setting him up with like 60 assists. Schwartz is the playmaker right now with only 36 in 40 games. Also I did not even edit Tarasenko's overall or stats, when I did edit alot, including Ovechkin with all 99's in shot.
Will he get 50 in 50? Will he get 60+? Will he get 82? We will seeeee!!!

Stephleref

Held by Holtby
May 28, 2011
3v3 is frustrating because it catters to cheesy players who think they are Pavel Datsyuk who look to cherry pick all game long who think they are any good because they can deke a CPU goalie 1v1. Just played a game against these kids and every time it was a 1v1 against me they knew they were gonna lose the puck (because i'm very good defensively and at positioning) so they would turn and turn and do keep aways looking for a cheese pass that wasn't ever there btw because in 2v2 & 3v3 you play against players like that half the time so i'm used to it. Their 3 goals are 3 breakways when i was playing more offensively and didn't stay back to block their super obvious plays. What bothers me is that 1: being super defensive all game to defend against cheese players is not fun and 2: these kids had 900+ CP so why would i wanna keep playing when the message is to pratice cheese dekes against a CPU goalie in free roam to be "good"?

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Attn : People online who let the CPU take over your teams defence once the other teams gets into your zone ...

Knock it off you cowards. Play your own defence . Every time I play someone highly rated they end up relying on the CPU to play d for them once I get into their zone . It's bullshit .

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
in franchise mode, why is the calder trophy always awarded to a non rookie? Seguin just won it this time after Mcdavid did the first time I tried.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Attn : People online who let the CPU take over your teams defence once the other teams gets into your zone ...

Knock it off you cowards. Play your own defence . Every time I play someone highly rated they end up relying on the CPU to play d for them once I get into their zone . It's bull**** .

It's so frustrating UGH

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2...2-102617&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

New patch notes

CONTENT UPDATE #2 HIGHLIGHTS

PRESENTATION:
With new and updated arenas across the league, be the first to play in Little Caesar’s Arena, the new home of the Detroit Red Wings.
Stadiums
  • Added Little Caesar’s Arena (Detroit Red Wings Home Arena)
  • Updated Verizon Center to Capital One Arena
  • Updated Nashville Predators Center Ice
  • Updated New York Islanders Center Ice
  • Updated Ottawa Senators Center Ice
  • Updated Pittsburgh Penguins Center Ice
  • Updated St. Louis Blues Center Ice
  • Updated Washington Capitals Center Ice
EQUIPMENT: Play like Mitch Marner with new True Hockey brand items:
True Hockey
  • True Hockey A6.0 SBP Hockey Stick
  • True Hockey XC9 ACF Hockey Stick
  • True Hockey A6.0 Player Glove
  • True Hockey XC9 Player Glove
UNIFORMS: The following uniforms have been updated to NHL 18:
NHL – National Hockey League
  • Updated Edmonton Oilers Pants with updated logo
  • Updated Calgary Flames Home and Away Socks
AHL – American Hockey League
  • Added Rockford IceHogs Alternate uniform
  • Added WBS Penguins Alternate Uniform
ECHL – East Coast Hockey League
  • Added Atlanta Gladiators Alternate uniform
  • Updated Colorado Eagles Home and Away uniforms
  • Added Norfolk Admirals Home, Away and Alternate uniforms
CHL – Canadian Hockey League
  • Added Brandon Wheat Kings Home uniform
  • Added Erie Otters Home Uniform
  • Added Saskatoon Blades Home and Alternate Uniforms
  • Added Sudbury Wolves Home and Away uniforms
  • Added Val D’Or Foreurs Alternate Uniform
DEL – Deutsche Eishockey Liga
  • Updated Home and Away uniforms for all DEL teams to 2017-18 season
National League
  • Updated Home and Away uniforms for all National League teams to 2017-18 season
SHL – Swedish Hockey League
  • Updated Frolunda Indians Home and Away uniforms
  • Updated Karlskrona IK Home and Away uniforms
  • Updated Malmo Redhawks Home and Away uniforms
  • Updated Mora IK Home and Away uniforms
  • Updated Orebro Hockey Home and Away uniforms
HockeyAllsvenskan
  • Updated Timra IK Home and Away socks
EBEL – Erste Bank Eishockey Liga
  • Updated EHC Linz Uniforms
  • Updated Graz 99’ers Uniforms
  • Updated Medvescak Zagreb Uniforms
  • Added 2017-18 Red Bull Salzburg Uniforms
ELH – Czech Extraliga
  • Rebranded PSG Zlin to Aukro Berani Zlin (Logos, Uniforms and Center ice logo)
ISSUES FIXED:
Game Modes
  • Fixed an issue where game rarely crashed when sim intervening into a game due to injuries
  • Fixed a crash during league creation in Franchise Mode
HUT
  • Fixed an issue where a user would encounter a crash in gameplay after using the auction house to get a new player
  • Fixed an issue where playing with 12 friends in a HUT game will cause a crash after the first goal is scored
  • Fixed an issue that caused a rare crash at the end of a game in Competitive Seasons
  • Fixed an issue that caused a rare crash when entering your team name and abbreviation in the Team setup screen
  • Fixed Eric Eschweiler’s player portrait
EASHL
  • Fixed a crash that was happening on the EASHL Team Matchup screen when entering the screen
  • Fixed an issue where when playing a 6v6 match it would sometimes cause a crash at the opening face-off
  • Fixed an issue where a rare crash occurred on Xbox 1 when a user edited their player’s last name in Player Creation or Edit Player
  • Fixed an issue where users could not find an opponent when playing with a local guest

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Not about NHL 18 necessarily but online versus in general.

I hate the people who just rifle shots from barely inside my zone on the rush 100 times each game.

No effort to get around my D. No setting up plays or creative passing to get the puck into good positions. Just walk in, shoot from the most accessible spot possible, and either hope for a cheese goal or for my stupid AI teammates to do something stupid. And scoop up some easy bonus opportunities that way. I can't count how many times this last game I played that the AI on my team was skating AWAY from or PAST a free puck... so when I switch to the guy closest to the puck to grab it, I have to waste like 5 seconds stopping his ass, turning him back around, and see if stupid wants to take a second crack at grabbing the puck right next to him.

Basically leaves me no choice on rushes but to either go for the body (relying on the game's inconsistent/often ineffective hitting) or wave my stick around poke checking/stick lifting hoping to either clip the puck or somehow help the goaltender with the inevitable shot coming their way.

These people also get a shit ton of shots, think they "played well" and "deserved to win", but don't realize what a disease they are to play against.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Been playing mostly eashl club but man I’m finding it hard to score in vs and hut. Short side wrister and back door seemingly is the only way and I can’t seem to get those down

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The threes circuit is dumb. You're severely punished for playing on a higher difficulty. You don't get the better players because you don't get enough stars. I don't want to have to play on rookie to unlock all that shit.

Savante

Feb 18, 2008
Can anyone perhaps help me with sliders? I haven't played an NHL game since the first PlayStation. I was playing on semi-pro but once I got the hang of it, I was winning games by 6-7 goals, feeling it way too easy to score. I turned it up to pro, but I'm getting slaughtered. It's much more difficult to score, which is great, but the other team can basically score at will. 10 games in, I'm just not getting the hang of it enough. (My AI teammates especially are letting me down...)

I've tried playing with them myself, but I just can't get it quite right. Any advice?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
3v3 is frustrating because it catters to cheesy players who think they are Pavel Datsyuk who look to cherry pick all game long who think they are any good because they can deke a CPU goalie 1v1. Just played a game against these kids and every time it was a 1v1 against me they knew they were gonna lose the puck (because i'm very good defensively and at positioning) so they would turn and turn and do keep aways looking for a cheese pass that wasn't ever there btw because in 2v2 & 3v3 you play against players like that half the time so i'm used to it. Their 3 goals are 3 breakways when i was playing more offensively and didn't stay back to block their super obvious plays. What bothers me is that 1: being super defensive all game to defend against cheese players is not fun and 2: these kids had 900+ CP so why would i wanna keep playing when the message is to pratice cheese dekes against a CPU goalie in free roam to be "good"?

I don't see why people still play against CPU goalies. Human goalies is where its at, no glitch goals.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I just started a franchise with the new roster update and I am enjoying it. I do wish though, that they improved the AI for your own computers players as well and not just the other teams AI. I don't know how many times I have been in a fine position with my center or whatever and then my D will skate away from the player in the corner or in front of the net and leaving them a lane to come out front or a lane to pass out front for an easy goal. It really can be annoying,

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Yeah, AI is terrible. I can't count the times I've seen one of my players literally skate out of the way of an oncoming attacker and just let them into the zone. What the heck is that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad