NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I just spent over an hour making an expansion team, and the game freezes before I even get to the draft.

87wQl.gif

EDIT - IT SAVES YOUR JERSEYS AND ARENA CHANGES. THANK GOD

Thanks for the laugh :laugh:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
That is disappointing to hear. Haven't bought it yet. Gonna check it out of the library first before buying. Does EA have the right game testers for NHL? It shouldn't be that hard to figure out how to improve the game play.

you can adjust the gameplay sliders a lot, so you're fine if you play offline

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Just started using my 2-day Playstation Plus free sub that comes with most online games, and my god is it buggy. Fighting always results in a reset, so do some faceoffs. The EASHL random casual solo setup is horrible. Online is just poorly made overall.

Definitely no interest in getting Playstation Plus for $50/mo if this is the quality of the product I'd be getting it for. :shakehead

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Just started using my 2-day Playstation Plus free sub that comes with most online games, and my god is it buggy. Fighting always results in a reset, so do some faceoffs. The EASHL random casual solo setup is horrible. Online is just poorly made overall.

Definitely no interest in getting Playstation Plus for $50/mo if this is the quality of the product I'd be getting it for. :shakehead

To be fair, NHL is notoriously awful online. Combination of EA using busted ass server infrastructure/the game itself being buggy beyond belief

Most other online games run very smooth and NHL is the exception.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
To be fair, NHL is notoriously awful online. Combination of EA using busted ass server infrastructure/the game itself being buggy beyond belief

Most other online games run very smooth and NHL is the exception.

I played NHL15 and NHL17 (though also only for 2 days for the latter) and didn't see anything as gamebreaking as these bugs. This is a whole new level of crap.

And I doubt I'd ever find any other game for the PS4 that I'd ever play online. I don't play FPS or anything else except sports (MLB, for example) and perhaps some flight games if any good ones ever come out, and I don't think I'd ever play of those online.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Wow they really nerfed the pokechecking and stick lifting in this game. To the point where it's 50/50 on if you get a penalty. Haven't played since 15..but damn. Also hitting is pretty tough to even make contact. I got used to it after a few hours of playing so I could time it a bit better, but I don't hit nearly as often as I used to.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Ok, I'm sure this was brought up before. But what's the iasue with not having Little Caesar's Arena in the game?

Might be the same issue with rookies not being on their NHL teams. Maybe once the first regular season game is played there, they'll be permitted to add it into the game.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Some notes on overall calculations this year

- Forwards and dmen have different calculations (previously used the same calculation for both)
- Player type doesn't appear to affect calculations

Forwards
Def. Awareness: 15.5% (prev. 19.5%)
Off. Awareness: 13.0% (prev. 9.7%)
Passing: 8.9% (prev. 6.7%)
Wrist Shot Accuracy: 6.4% (prev. 6.7%)
Strength: 5.6% (prev. 5.7%)
Stick Checking: 5.6% (prev. 7.1%)
Speed: 5.1% (prev. 5.2%)
Agility: 5.1% (prev. 5.2%)
Acceleration: 5.1% (prev. 5.2%)
Balance: 4.9% (prev. 5.0%)
Wrist Shot Power: 4.3% (prev. 4.3%)
Puck Control: 3.7% (prev. 2.8%)
Body Checking: 3.5% (prev. 3.6%)
Poise: 3.1% (prev. 2.3%)
Slap Shot Power: 2.8% (prev. 2.8%)
Slap Shot Accuracy: 2.8% (prev. 2.8%)
Deking: 1.3% (prev. 0.8%)
Hand-Eye: 1.3% (prev. 0.8%)
Shot Blocking: 0.8% (prev. 1.4%)
Durability: 0.5% (prev. 0.6%)
Endurance: 0.2% (prev. 0.6%)
Faceoffs: 0.2% (prev. 0.6%)
Aggressiveness: 0.2% (prev. 0.3%)
Fighting Skill: 0.2% (prev. 0.3%)
Discipline: 0.2% (prev. 0.1%)

+10 to each attribute: +16.4 overall (prev. +18.0 overall)

Summary
Puck Skills: 15.1% (prev. 11.1%)
Shooting: 16.2% (prev. 16.5%)
Skating: 20.3% (prev. 21.2%)
Senses: 16.2% (prev. 12.1%)
Defense: 22.1% (prev. 28.6%)
Physical: 10.0% (prev. 10.5%)

Haven't had time to do the defensemen calculations yet.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Might be the same issue with rookies not being on their NHL teams. Maybe once the first regular season game is played there, they'll be permitted to add it into the game.
The reason why rookies aren't in is because of the NHLPA and PHPA agreements which outline usage of player names and likeness in advertisements and media based on certain parameters (NHLPA requires minimum 1 regular season or playoff game; PHPA requires a contract to be signed).

Considering a union likely isn't involved, I doubt it's the same reason. Probably either an NDA (ala jerseys) or a licensing agreement issue or EA didn't get access to it in time in order to properly re-create it.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Anybody else thinks, the game is a lot harder than before? I haven't played in 3 months but I always played between all-star and superstar depending on my mood and was quite good.

Now, I started a play-offs on all-star. Won the first game 4-3 against the ducks but had absolutely no chance in game 2 and 3 (I only play a best of three series). So I played with the Pens and got destroyed by Columbus by a whooping 9-2 loss in game 3. And it was not even close.

Next round, playing as the caps, I got beaten 7-2 by the Blue Jackets.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Some notes on overall calculations this year

- Forwards and dmen have different calculations (previously used the same calculation for both)
- Player type doesn't appear to affect calculations

Forwards
Def. Awareness: 15.5% (prev. 19.5%)
Off. Awareness: 13.0% (prev. 9.7%)
Passing: 8.9% (prev. 6.7%)
Wrist Shot Accuracy: 6.4% (prev. 6.7%)
Strength: 5.6% (prev. 5.7%)
Stick Checking: 5.6% (prev. 7.1%)
Speed: 5.1% (prev. 5.2%)
Agility: 5.1% (prev. 5.2%)
Acceleration: 5.1% (prev. 5.2%)
Balance: 4.9% (prev. 5.0%)
Wrist Shot Power: 4.3% (prev. 4.3%)
Puck Control: 3.7% (prev. 2.8%)
Body Checking: 3.5% (prev. 3.6%)
Poise: 3.1% (prev. 2.3%)
Slap Shot Power: 2.8% (prev. 2.8%)
Slap Shot Accuracy: 2.8% (prev. 2.8%)
Deking: 1.3% (prev. 0.8%)
Hand-Eye: 1.3% (prev. 0.8%)
Shot Blocking: 0.8% (prev. 1.4%)
Durability: 0.5% (prev. 0.6%)
Endurance: 0.2% (prev. 0.6%)
Faceoffs: 0.2% (prev. 0.6%)
Aggressiveness: 0.2% (prev. 0.3%)
Fighting Skill: 0.2% (prev. 0.3%)
Discipline: 0.2% (prev. 0.1%)

+10 to each attribute: +16.4 overall (prev. +18.0 overall)

Summary
Puck Skills: 15.1% (prev. 11.1%)
Shooting: 16.2% (prev. 16.5%)
Skating: 20.3% (prev. 21.2%)
Senses: 16.2% (prev. 12.1%)
Defense: 22.1% (prev. 28.6%)
Physical: 10.0% (prev. 10.5%)

Haven't had time to do the defensemen calculations yet.

That's impressive, good job!

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Alright, I'm usually the type to defend the game blindly, but this year is so unfun. Time for a rant.

There's some good improvements, like HUT solo challenges and the Franchise mode having an expansion draft.

The actual gameplay however, is the biggest slog fest I've played in this series.

I was irritated with how easy it was to lose the puck in NHL 17, but it's even worse in NHL 18. Somehow, against all odds, EA decides that we need to have more effective pokechecks and lose the puck instantly if anyone is near you.

It doesn't matter if it's HUT, EASHL, you'll lose the puck if you skate anywhere close to an opposing player. Poke Checking is too damn good in this game and it's the only defensive tool you need. Just hold RB and hope for the best, it'll usually work.

But Tad, if poke checks are so good, what about picking up the puck? Puck pick ups are also even worse.

There was an instance last night, where I poke checked the guy 5 straight times and he was able to either recover the puck instantly, or if I got the puck, I immediately lost it to a poke check.

Fun game.

Last night in HUT? I go 1-4. I lost two games due to some great goaltending from an 88 Holtby. First game I out possess the other player 10 minutes to 1 minute and 37 seconds, but I lose 3-2 in overtime. The three goals? A rebound where Holtby moves like a sea slug, a slap shot from outside the blueline and the third in overtime was Holtby being completely ran over and the puck trickles in.

The last game I played, Holtby lets in 3 goals on six shots, including one where he goes to make a glove save but it goes right off the glove and in the net instead.

Like I said, incredibly fun game.

Or maybe I want to play something casual with friends. Play NHL 3s on circuit mode. I can't. Whenever we have a third man in, it automatically goes back to the faceoff after the first ten seconds. It's literally an unplayable mode.

Simply put, this game has some great stuff but thanks to some choices from the developers, it is one of the most un fun games I've played in a long time. And I'm someone who puts in 500+ hours every year in NHL. This is a game that my friends and I get excited for so we can grind our way in EASHL. But the constant losing the puck for being breathed on, the rididuclous poke check spam, and garbage goaltending is a bit too much.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I love the defensive skill stick. I never liked seeing the most effective way to defend being to throw big hits because that was unrealistic, and should belong in arcade modes like NHL Hitz (and threes this year). In real hockey players use their stick to block off lanes, deflect pucks, etc. With the defensive skill stick you can do that making defending so much more interesting.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I find it interesting currently that the most enjoyable way for me to play NHL 18 is to not play hockey. I enjoy Franchise mode and simming every game. HUT is also great in a way that I enjoy deal hunting the market. I don't really want to play the actual game of hockey though, as it's not so fun.

There are some incredibly odd things though. It takes ten seconds to go from the main menu to the "Continue / New / Load" -screen after you press X on the Franchise mode button. How in the actual hell can you make the menu so irresponsive?

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I don't have trouble playing defense in this game but when it comes to scoring I'm having trouble. When I have a good game, I get about 4 goals but usually my average is around 2. I feel like the players can't pick up rebounds as well in this year's game compared to last year's (the puck just bounces in super crazy ways). Shots from the point have a harder time finding the back of the net (and when the puck is deflected by a player it just slows down considerably and never really bothers the goalie all that much).

I feel like the only ways to score in this game are one-timers and the wrist shot from the top of the circle.
I'm going to try working on my one-timers in practice mode because I haven't mastered them quite yet.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I don't have trouble playing defense in this game but when it comes to scoring I'm having trouble. When I have a good game, I get about 4 goals but usually my average is around 2. I feel like the players can't pick up rebounds as well in this year's game compared to last year's (the puck just bounces in super crazy ways). Shots from the point have a harder time finding the back of the net (and when the puck is deflected by a player it just slows down considerably and never really bothers the goalie all that much).

I feel like the only ways to score in this game are one-timers and the wrist shot from the top of the circle.
I'm going to try working on my one-timers in practice mode because I haven't mastered them quite yet.

getting 2-3 goals per game is pretty realistic though

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Does it take anyone else an unnecessary amount of time to load from screen to screen in GM Mode? It could be becuase my system's been on all day but it's taking to long then normal to load. Especially on the main screen. Calendar works fine, but main screen is laaaggyyy.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
My main screen is lagging as well. Anyway, for those who have done a fair bit of simming how good has the CPU been at managing the cap and getting the players that need to be signed well ugh signed lol Are players like Eichel and Matthews being resigned as RFAs?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My main screen is lagging as well. Anyway, for those who have done a fair bit of simming how good has the CPU been at managing the cap and getting the players that need to be signed well ugh signed lol Are players like Eichel and Matthews being resigned as RFAs?

Only big RFA offersheet I have seen is Charlie McAvoy being signed by SJS. I'll need to look at the deal to see if it was at least an overpayment by San Jose. That's the only one, and it only happened in one of my Franchise Modes.

CPU cap management is a lot better.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Did one longer save already and feel like everything went pretty realistic. No good players left out without a contract because of teams not having cap space. Only saw Ryan Strome playing with McDavid and putting up like 84 points and wanting a 7mil contract despite only being a second liner. Didn't get signed and didn't play in the league for the next season. Players want money more on their performances during past year rather than ratings which seems realistic.

Contracts were realistic for most part. Would like to see more long term deals for star players. Teams usually sign their stars for 3-5 years after ELCs though I did see few signing 6-8 years as well. Cap went up by a lot. Teams also put their players on the trading block if their contract is coming up and they don't want to sign with the team. Love the changes so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad