News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Caps are really fun to watch. I forget what hockey is supposed to look like
Yes as do many of us until we see the top teams in the conference finals. Watching the NYI all season long we tend to see things with a bias as we are fans looking for something positive. However one needs to look at these playoffs with an open mind and its obvious we are not of the caliber of the top preforming playoff teams, we have some nice pieces but not enough still many holes to address. Speed ,skill and yes size are on display in spades and while this has been addressed somewhat recently NYI were late to the party and it will probably cost the team its Captain. Please give us something to hang our hat on in the offseason and give us Fan's a management team that isn't the laughing stock of the NHL.

Reactions: Surfrat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This Vegas team is insane. There so good.

I’m happy for their long suffering fans. They have s great shot at the cup.

Imagine having to endure six long months before getting your first ever taste of the Cup finals. I'm surprised they draw so well given the length of that dry spell.

Reactions: nyisles and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Imagine having to endure six long months before getting your first ever taste of the Cup finals. I'm surprised they draw so well given the length of that dry spell.

The agony of being a fan. They’ve been through some tough times. The whole not having a roster thing before the expansion draft must have really been stressful.

Reactions: nyisles

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The agony of being a fan. They’ve been through some tough times. The whole not having a roster thing before the expansion draft must have really been stressful.

Vegas is showing the new blueprint for how you build a contender:

Step 1: Don't exist.

Step 2: Draft/trade for everyone's 2nd line players/2nd pairing defensemen.

Step 3: Turn a goalie who has a history of flaking in the playoffs into a modern day Patrick Roy.

Step 4: Wayne Newton.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

:laugh:
Yeah
An amazing season for Vegas regardless of how much further they go.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Did you guys know Jeremy "The Sweetener" Colliton is the Icehawks (Blackhawks AHL affiliate) head coach? And he's one of those coaching prospects that might land a head job in a couple years?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Did you guys know Jeremy "The Sweetener" Colliton is the Icehawks (Blackhawks AHL affiliate) head coach? And he's one of those coaching prospects that might land a head job in a couple years?
Those who can’t do....coach.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I actually did know that. Watched a video that his prior team (in Sweden) made, and he seemed well liked by his players and had a calm demeanor. Sharp guy.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Vegas is showing the new blueprint for how you build a contender:

Step 1: Don't exist.

Step 2: Draft/trade for everyone's 2nd line players/2nd pairing defensemen.

Step 3: Turn a goalie who has a history of flaking in the playoffs into a modern day Patrick Roy.

Step 4: Wayne Newton.

Good stuff!

But with respect to Step 2...

That's giving them too much credit.

Sure, Neal, Smith, and perhaps Perron have been second liners (not always though), and granted, Marchessault had a very impressive first full season with Florida, but that line-up felt a LOT more "3rd line" than anything else coming in.

Few could have seen the kind of seasons Karlsson and Haula, and Tuch for that matter, had. Throw Schmidt and Miller in there too.

However, there's no doubt that the league intended for Vegas to be a "success" in its initial season. It wasn't enough to be a new member of the club and simply put on a show and be a novelty stop on the schedule for all the other teams, they wanted a club that could be competitive.

Surely, no-one knew that it would turn into THIS, but when you get to choose 30 players right off the bat from teams that can only protect roughly 10 of their faves, and there are no bars hold for trades, then there's little you can do wrong. The manner in which that team gathered picks and prospects like Theodore and Tuch just to "not touch" players in the expansion draft, well the league allowed the new franchise to somewhat hold its older brethren for ransom.

But hey, we've got something really cool going on now. Vegas vs Washington is looking like it could continue to be a doozy of a series!

Last edited:

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I was listening to Puck Soup and Griffin Reinhart's name came so I was curious to see how his AHL season went. Surprisingly he was second in plus/minus on the playoff-making Chicago Wolves, behind only fellow ex=Isle Jake Bischoff. He managed that with only 12 points in 60 games (Bischoff had 23.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad