News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Francis has contract terminated by Hurricanes

Canes giving the Isles a run for the money as most dysfunctional team. Francis fired, Peters resigned and now Nieuwendyk resigned. The new GM will report directly to the owner and not the President. Multiple candidates have elected not to interview per various sources over the last few weeks.
I feel bad for Canes fans... all eight of them. (Seriously atleast in TV it looks like theres never been more than 5000 people on audience). But Im glad we are not the only team ran like headless poo...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Francis has contract terminated by Hurricanes

Canes giving the Isles a run for the money as most dysfunctional team. Francis fired, Peters resigned and now Nieuwendyk resigned. The new GM will report directly to the owner and not the President. Multiple candidates have elected not to interview per various sources over the last few weeks.

Wait, I thought that the Hurricanes were a shining example the Islanders should emulate?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Unfortunately I think they are.

I think it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. I understand the need or desire to remove everything Snow related, but if there isn't a viable replacement ready to step in the result isn't going to change and it may do more harm than good. Settling for scraps isn't the way to go about this and wouldn't provide the right culture change that is necessary to build a winner.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. I understand the need or desire to remove everything Snow related, but if there isn't a viable replacement ready to step in the result isn't going to change and it may do more harm than good. Settling for scraps isn't the way to go about this and wouldn't provide the right culture change that is necessary to build a winner.
Hiring someone who would be a gigantic improvement over Garth should be about as difficult as tying one's shoes is for anyone old enough to be on this forum.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Isles fans will cry and moan no matter what you do.

Reactions: PROMputt and MartyC

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hiring someone who would be a gigantic improvement over Garth should be about as difficult as tying one's shoes is for anyone old enough to be on this forum.

It isn't for Carolina apparently, who is having people refuse to even interview (unless I misread).

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What you wrote makes no sense. I understand you claim to be with the majority of us in understanding Snow to be a failure and that his replacement is long overdue, but then you occasionally say things that tow the line on being in support of Snow or implying that he is not TOO bad.
What do you mean "if there is not a viable replacement?" Other teams are interviewing Paul Fenton, Tom Fitzgerald....Dean Lombardi is out there, and there are others that have been mentioned. So what do you mean they are not available? You certainly cannot be insinuating that they are not viable upgrades on Garth Snow? So if there are other candidates out there being interviewed by other teams, then how are there none available?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What you wrote makes no sense. I understand you claim to be with the majority of us in understanding Snow to be a failure and that his replacement is long overdue, but then you occasionally say things that tow the line on being in support of Snow or implying that he is not TOO bad.
What do you mean "if there is not a viable replacement?" Other teams are interviewing Paul Fenton, Tom Fitzgerald....Dean Lombardi is out there, and there are others that have been mentioned. So what do you mean they are not available? You certainly cannot be insinuating that they are not viable upgrades on Garth Snow? So if there are other candidates out there being interviewed by other teams, then how are there none available?

Carolina fired Francis, a bunch of people resigned, and now a bunch of potential candidates have elected not to interview for the job. So if we fire Snow and a bunch of these potential candidates, like Fenton, Fitzgerald, Lombardi, etc. refuse to even interview for the job...what then? It's nice to talk about all the great guys that are available but that doesn't mean they actually have an interest in coming here. I'm typically in the camp that thinks there is more to it than "fire Snow, hire Stanley Cup Caliber GM!" and think that the owners should have a better pulse on the situation. If they already know that those people won't interview it may help explain why they haven't fired Snow (Staple had said that Lombardi would definitely not be coming here, though he's unsure as to why for example). Who are they replacing him with? Some say anybody is better than Snow, just like they said that about Capuano (I probably did as well at various points), but it just may not be so and having the franchise make a decision like that would probably directly impact Tavares' signing potential.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What is scary is that 100% of the fanbase does not see this. There is not a single hockey-industry person mentioned that I would not be excited about, simply because he would be taking over for Garth Snow.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What is scary is that 100% of the fanbase does not see this. There is not a single hockey-industry person mentioned that I would not be excited about, simply because he would be taking over for Garth Snow.

How many people laughed at the idea of McPhee taking over and wanted him out of here last season? Different isn't necessarily better, and I personally want better. Much better.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Carolina fired Francis, a bunch of people resigned, and now a bunch of potential candidates have elected not to interview for the job. So if we fire Snow and a bunch of these potential candidates, like Fenton, Fitzgerald, Lombardi, etc. refuse to even interview for the job...what then? It's nice to talk about all the great guys that are available but that doesn't mean they actually have an interest in coming here. I'm typically in the camp that thinks there is more to it than "fire Snow, hire Stanley Cup Caliber GM!" and think that the owners should have a better pulse on the situation. If they already know that those people won't interview it may help explain why they haven't fired Snow (Staple had said that Lombardi would definitely not be coming here, though he's unsure as to why for example). Who are they replacing him with? Some say anybody is better than Snow, just like they said that about Capuano (I probably did as well at various points), but it just may not be so and having the franchise make a decision like that would probably directly impact Tavares' signing potential.

If they want to wait to fire Snow until after they hire someone, fine. But what have you seen from these owners that leads you to believe they are even making the effort to find a replacement, when Staple, Gross, etc. have said I can confirm theIsles have not reached out to Fitzgerald, Fenton, Lamoriello, etc.? That is the problem for most of us, everything these owners say and do is BS. Where do you see any evidence they are doing anything to bring about change other than empty talk about "evaluating" for two years now?

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
How many people laughed at the idea of McPhee taking over and wanted him out of here last season? Different isn't necessarily better, and I personally want better. Much better.

Cant speak for anybody else, but if you know me, I have been saying anybody with any experience can take over for Garth Snow for years now. So you are definitely not talking about me.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If they want to wait to fire Snow until after they hire someone, fine. But what have you seen from these owners that leads you to believe they are even making the effort to find a replacement, when Staple, Gross, etc. have said I can confirm theIsles have not reached out to Fitzgerald, Fenton, Lamoriello, etc.? That is the problem for most of us, everything these owners say and do is BS. Where do you see any evidence they are doing anything to bring about change other than empty talk about "evaluating" for two years now?

I truly and honestly believe it's all tied to Tavares, for better or worse. I'm of the opinion that the owners do have a plan in place and are waiting for some reason execute it. That doesn't mean it's the smartest or best move though. They bought goodwill from me with the arena situation, as they navigated that pretty quickly and did what everyone said was impossible.

If they really go into the summer and next season without Tavares signing and Snow still in the same positions...then I'll get pissed. Right now, they have more time to figure it out.

Cant speak for anybody else, but if you know me, I have been saying anybody with any experience can take over for Garth Snow for years now. So you are definitely not talking about me.

No, not you specifically. Just showing how quickly perception can change.

Reactions: MJF

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They not only kept Snow, they kept arguably the worst coach to ever be behind a bench in this league. If they wanted to put it in big neon lights "We are either incompetent or just don't care" they couldn't have made it any clearer. If JT walks L&M can go straight to hell as far as I care.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, if we had a dollar for every time the Forsberg-Erat deal was mentioned....

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Carolina just hired Rick Dudley. He certainly is not one of the hot shot assistant GM candidates whose names have been mentioned many times. If you believe the rumors Dudley was brought in after numerous candidates turned down the Canes. The Canes job was not desirable to the up and coming first time GM's. Is the Isles job viewed similarly? Is it possible that when L&M went looking for a top hockey exec last year they were turned down repeatedly. And could the same thing happen this time around? It may be more than Snow that keeps these guys from interviewing with the Isles. Food for thought. I want Snow gone as much as everyone but I don't want someone like Goring to replace him.

Reactions: dood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Carolina just hired Rick Dudley. He certainly is not one of the hot shot assistant GM candidates whose names have been mentioned many times. If you believe the rumors Dudley was brought in after numerous candidates turned down the Canes. The Canes job was not desirable to the up and coming first time GM's. Is the Isles job viewed similarly? Is it possible that when L&M went looking for a top hockey exec last year they were turned down repeatedly. And could the same thing happen this time around? It may be more than Snow that keeps these guys from interviewing with the Isles. Food for thought. I want Snow gone as much as everyone but I don't want someone like Goring to replace him.

I think part of the reason they won't go for a first time GM like that is because of the Tavares situation. If he's said that he'll stay if they bring in a guy like Lou or Lombardi, that may be what they're trying to do instead of bringing in someone because they're desperate for change.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I think part of the reason they won't go for a first time GM like that is because of the Tavares situation. If he's said that he'll stay if they bring in a guy like Lou or Lombardi, that may be what they're trying to do instead of bringing in someone because they're desperate for change.

You might be right. Staple said the Isles have not asked for permission for any current AGM. But Friedman said he doesn't think it will be Lombardi and Lou says he is staying in Toronto. Now I realize things can change but who is this mystery senior level exec the Isles are targeting. And what happens if they put all their hope on one guy and he doesn't want the job. I still have my doubts anything will change.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You might be right. Staple said the Isles have not asked for permission for any current AGM. But Friedman said he doesn't think it will be Lombardi and Lou says he is staying in Toronto. Now I realize things can change but who is this mystery senior level exec the Isles are targeting. And what happens if they put all their hope on one guy and he doesn't want the job. I still have my doubts anything will change.
Or unfortunately there is the more likely second option: there is no "mystery senior level exec" and the owners are not doing anything. Everything will remain the same and the "evaluating period" will extend into a third season.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

It's more evidence that this organization is still regarded as crap around the league if true, a significant factor in Snow's longevity. We're not going to be taken seriously until Belmont and some stability is established. If JT walks, we're going to crater even more. You would think Snow would be gone though, but he might still survive because no one else would want the job.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Or unfortunately there is the more likely second option: there is no "mystery senior level exec" and the owners are not doing anything. Everything will remain the same and the "evaluating period" will extend into a third season.

I'd be really surprised if they weren't really trying to do something. Doesn't make sense on any level and seems to just be a rallying cry for frustrated fans. There's too much money to be lost by intentionally not doing anything. Why wouldn't they be trying to do something? They know the fan base is upset and they know their franchise player is considering walking out the door.

It's more evidence that this organization is still regarded as crap around the league if true, a significant factor in Snow's longevity. We're not going to be taken seriously until Belmont and some stability is established. If JT walks, we're going to crater even more. You would think Snow would be gone though, but he might still survive because no one else would want the job.

Yep.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Taveras or not the owners need to recognize that they have to change the way the front office operates. Ownership is now complicit in the dysfunction because they allowed themselves to be bent over to re-sign John Tavares. As much as I love the way he plays no player should be bigger than the organization.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Taveras or not the owners need to recognize that they have to change the way the front office operates. Ownership is now complicit in the dysfunction because they allowed themselves to be bent over to re-sign John Tavares. As much as I love the way he plays no player should be bigger than the organization.

Yes, and I understand that. However, that doesn't mean they don't have a plan...which is my point. It's just a plan we might not agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->