News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That whole saga reminds me of the Kris Benson stuff, where a talented player might get derailed because of his crazy significant other. Obviously, a little bit different, but it's not all too often we hear about girlfriends and wives causing this kind of trouble.
First thing I thought of when I heard about this was Anna Benson.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Before most of you were around two yankees traded wives, families actually.

Throwback Thursday: Yankees' Wife Swap

The reality is bad stuff happens more often than we know with sports teams and their wives and girlfriends off the ice. We only hear about some of the cases where cheating occurs like the Flyers one in the 90s, the Hawks one a few years back or the Werth/Utley thing in 2010. It’s evident on twitter alone how close these guys and their wives/girlfriends are off the ice when you see all these charity events they do etc. it’s only human nature that sometimes if things aren’t going well at home you might seek out someone else and when the families are close like this it might happen to be another player on the team. That’s less likely in most of our work environments since rarely is an entire office that close outside of work

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The reality is bad stuff happens more often than we know with sports teams and their wives and girlfriends off the ice. We only hear about some of the cases where cheating occurs like the Flyers one in the 90s, the Hawks one a few years back or the Werth/Utley thing in 2010. It’s evident on twitter alone how close these guys and their wives/girlfriends are off the ice when you see all these charity events they do etc. it’s only human nature that sometimes if things aren’t going well at home you might seek out someone else and when the families are close like this it might happen to be another player on the team. That’s less likely in most of our work environments since rarely is an entire office that close outside of work

I thought the Flyers thing was just an old wives tail and proven false?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Amanda Dufner is another one if you're a golf fan.

Not to go too far off topic, but if we are talking about crazy wives/girlfriends of professional athletes, then let me introduce probably the first star -

Miko Grimes is another wife/girlfriend who has caused lots of trouble for her athlete husband, Brent Grimes. Grimes is a CB in the NFL who was with the Dolphins, then was cut after his wife criticized the team and its QB, among many other tirades and an arrest at the stadium, and he is now with the Bucs.

According to a Sports Illustrated article -

"She would get him run out of town by going "as wild as possible on social media." Her version of what happened next: "[Brent] said, 'Go for it.' I got his full permission to be as disrespectful to the Dolphins as I wanted to be. And I threw in [Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill] because I don't like him or his wife."

I believe she has threatened team beat writers, launched Twitter rants that order from unhinged to racist (usually anti-semitism is the theme) and repeatedly gone after the NFL in general. She is about 10 years older than Brent Grimes, has completely alienated his family I guess, and appears to have a hold on him and will do whatever she can to further her career even if it hurts his career.

But he lets it happen so that is definitely on him.

Reactions: The G Man

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Sens traded Hoffman to San Jose ...

Wow, talk about selling low. A steal in terms of acquired talent for San Jose. If they can resolve the off-ice issues and/or fix the problem, it will be a good deal for them. And, even if they cannot, the cost in terms of trade assets is very low.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I wonder what the Hoffman's are making of all this? Probably not too unhappy at being moved to a better team, with great weather and no state tax.Perhaps it was worth it in the end...

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I wonder what the Hoffman's are making of all this? Probably not too unhappy at being moved to a better team, with great weather and no state tax.Perhaps it was worth it in the end...
If the stories of his GFs behaviour are true, then I really dont care what they think about anything, at all...

That aside, SJ opening up that cap space is something to absolutely keep an eye on.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Sharks wives immediately vited Hoffman and his GF off the island.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I never thought I would utter these words: Garth Snow would actually be an improvement over the clown currently in charge of the Sens. They are the laughingstock of the entire sport

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
This sets up SJ to throw a boatload of money at JT :(
They have been my assumed destination for Tavares from the get-go. Even without this recent move I firmly believed that they were the front runner for JT.

Not seeing Wilson execute moves like this really shows they arent taking this lightly at all.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Dale "Turgeon Killer" Hunter and the missus ate at the next table tonight. Nice joint in Kennebunkport, Maine called Hurricane. Most dress up in khakis and dress shirts and the like; Dale got the top right but was in shorts. Legs and calves are huge, which is how I finally settled on it being the right guy. Funny thing is it was my mother who drew my attention with an innocuous "next table looks like they're having fun. They're not saying a word."

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Dale "Turgeon Killer" Hunter and the missus ate at the next table tonight. Nice joint in Kennebunkport, Maine called Hurricane. Most dress up in khakis and dress shirts and the like; Dale got the top right but was in shorts. Legs and calves are huge, which is how I finally settled on it being the right guy. Funny thing is it was my mother who drew my attention with an innocuous "next table looks like they're having fun. They're not saying a word."

I hope he choked on his pork chop. Well, momentarily and then spit it out and lived and everything. But still some moments of discomfort would make me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad