News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
They have been my assumed destination for Tavares from the get-go. Even without this recent move I firmly believed that they were the front runner for JT.

Not seeing Wilson execute moves like this really shows they arent taking this lightly at all.

Seems like they are opening up for something. Probably going to throw big money at Tavares, if that fails Carlsson.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
I hope he choked on his pork chop. Well, momentarily and then spit it out and lived and everything. But still some moments of discomfort would make me happy.

Same, same. She asked, Why didn't you say anything? I replied, Mostly because I've hated that guy for like 30 years. I really wanted to ask him about Mark, though. Might've had my own Dippin' Dots moment.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Same, same. She asked, Why didn't you say anything? I replied, Mostly because I've hated that guy for like 30 years. I really wanted to ask him about Mark, though. Might've had my own Dippin' Dots moment.

You should have checked him into the door on your way out, haha! Then told him you didn't hear the whistle!

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
You should have checked him into the door on your way out, haha! Then told him you didn't hear the whistle!

I think he knew we were talking hockey next table. Something about "tough, winning no Cups while both one's brothers have 'em" might've been said aloud.

Built like a brick shithouse. Like Potvin or McCabe through the lower body and current-day Brett Hull in the trunk. Amusing that he was so quiet at his table. Maybe he's dumfounded the Craps won out.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There is a report that Vancouver is shopping Tanev and the offers are low.

I have argued for months that a player who averages 60 games a season for the last 4 seasons, would see his trade value take hit. That he was not worth a top 12 pick. They kept arguing he is worth at least what Hamonic returned.
I can't agree. Hamonic did not have a rep for being injured every season and missing a big chunk of the season. Also, Hamonic had more term on his contract when dealt.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
SJ was one of my guesses for JT as well. That was a good move.

As for a few pages back. I prefer to be called a Xennial, thank you very much ;)

And not lumped in with those idiots still living with their parents when they're in their late 20s-early 30s.

Xennials - Wikipedia

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Carcillo not holding anything back today on CMB radio show.

Even though his behavior is erratic (and I absolutely blame that on the brain damage he likely suffered) I commend him for speaking up on this subject. The league absolutely doesn't care one bit about player safety, and sadly neither does the NHLPA for that matter. They need to be made to care.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dale "Turgeon Killer" Hunter and the missus ate at the next table tonight. Nice joint in Kennebunkport, Maine called Hurricane. Most dress up in khakis and dress shirts and the like; Dale got the top right but was in shorts. Legs and calves are huge, which is how I finally settled on it being the right guy. Funny thing is it was my mother who drew my attention with an innocuous "next table looks like they're having fun. They're not saying a word."

This reminds me of back in 2005, when me and my buddy went to Mexico for vacation and just happened to be on the same flight as Hunter's Memorial Cup winning London Knights. Apparently he treated the entire team to a Mexican vacation as a reward for winning the Mem Cup. Notable guys like Corey Perry, Robbie Schremp, and Marc Methot were on that team.

Two funny stories:

1-Hunter and assistant coach Jacques Beaulieu (Nathan's father) sat beside me and my buddy. They kept ordering on-flight booze, so by the time we landed in Mexico they were pretty tipsy. At one point we were discussing OHL stuff, and a near-drunk Hunter was asking *me* why Kingston was run so poorly. "Why wouldn't they trade Anthony Stewart at the deadline? They effin' sucked and were going nowhere and wouldn't listen to any offer we gave them!". I don't know, Dale. I'm just a fan.

2-Rob Schremp was sitting about two rows ahead of us, and I could hear him telling the person in the seat next to him (an older couple) about how he was a 1st round NHL draft pick who had signed a contract (or was on the verge of doing so -- couldn't recall his explanation). Basically, it was vintage Schremp letting everyone who was around him know how awesome he is.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This reminds me of back in 2005, when me and my buddy went to Mexico for vacation and just happened to be on the same flight as Hunter's Memorial Cup winning London Knights. Apparently he treated the entire team to a Mexican vacation as a reward for winning the Mem Cup. Notable guys like Corey Perry, Robbie Schremp, and Marc Methot were on that team.

Two funny stories:

1-Hunter and assistant coach Jacques Beaulieu (Nathan's father) sat beside me and my buddy. They kept ordering on-flight booze, so by the time we landed in Mexico they were pretty tipsy. At one point we were discussing OHL stuff, and a near-drunk Hunter was asking *me* why Kingston was run so poorly. "Why wouldn't they trade Anthony Stewart at the deadline? They effin' sucked and were going nowhere and wouldn't listen to any offer we gave them!". I don't know, Dale. I'm just a fan.

2-Rob Schremp was sitting about two rows ahead of us, and I could hear him telling the person in the seat next to him (an older couple) about how he was a 1st round NHL draft pick who had signed a contract (or was on the verge of doing so -- couldn't recall his explanation). Basically, it was vintage Schremp letting everyone who was around him know how awesome he is.

Reminds me of my buddy in university. He was a big Devils fan and his favorite player was Martin Brodeur (because my buddy was a goalie of course). He was on a plane and Brodeur was sitting a few rows in front of him in first class. Every time the curtain opened he was staring at his Stanley Cup ring. Brodeur caught him staring and motioned for him to come over. He said in his thick french Canadian accent, "I saw you staring at my ring. I got this because I'm the best goalie in the world. Do you want my autograph?" My friend said sure, but told me that was the day he stopped being a Martin Brodeur fan, lol.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
According to the Montreal media, it's seems to be a sure thing that Pacioretty is going to be traded very soon. To the LA Kings apparently.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
Reminds me of my buddy in university. He was a big Devils fan and his favorite player was Martin Brodeur (because my buddy was a goalie of course). He was on a plane and Brodeur was sitting a few rows in front of him in first class. Every time the curtain opened he was staring at his Stanley Cup ring. Brodeur caught him staring and motioned for him to come over. He said in his thick french Canadian accent, "I saw you staring at my ring. I got this because I'm the best goalie in the world. Do you want my autograph?" My friend said sure, but told me that was the day he stopped being a Martin Brodeur fan, lol.

I can understand your friends reaction. Of course, not every superstar is going to be humble, and I would venture to guess that in most cases when someone excels at something there is a degree to which a big ego leads to the self-belief necessary for that kind of success. We want humility from our heroes but for a number of them they would not have climbed to the heights they did without that self-absorbed confidence.

So while I don't believe you have to have an inflated ego to be great at something, often times it helps. I think Brodeur's comment could be perceived much like Barzal's before he was drafted... except for the fact that Brodeur had already proved it.

Even if it takes the shine off (Brodeur) a tiny bit, it's a good story, and thanks for sharing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino