Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Nashville Predators - February 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
We should have a thread: the game that AV lost you.

For me it was game 7 against the Lightning in '15. Worst coached game of all time, from dressing #27 with his injury to getting shut out at home under constant pressure with no response (something that has become very familiar over the past seasons). Also playing Dan Boyle at F/D in some first time attempted scheme.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
They just said on Twitter the DOPS is fining Staal the maximum allowed for putting himself in a vulnerable position and Vesey is getting 5 games for bleeding on television.
I hope the DOPS puts out a statement saying no disciplinary action because the Rangers aren’t really a hockey team since nobody stood up for themselves. Therefore the DOPS has no jurisdiction over what happened

Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
WHERE IS THE ANGER AND OUTRAGE FROM MY FELLOW FANS ON HERE. THIS WAS THE MOST BALLESS THING IVE EVER WATCHED. WE SHOULD BE DEMANDING BLOOD!

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I’m being serious when I ask this question. If Tortorella or Keenan or even Lindy Ruff or Laviolette was our coach do you think what happened as far as our lack of response would have stood? How did AV not talk to the guys and turn the game into a hit mission. 4 targets. Emelin, Forsberg, 2 referees. Simple

Unfortunately I think the game is changing. I don't like the direction it's going in myself, I think that there are fewer and fewer coaches in today's NHL that will be okay with the "vigilante" justice of old. Truth is fighting is still in the game for a reason. Players are going to have to get back to policing the game themselves more. DOPS isn't doing the job right. By no means does this condone a bertuzzi/Moore incident I don't think there's a place in the game for that . But maybe have your guys be okay with one of your guys getting 2/5/10 to figure shit out on the ice.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

For me it was game 7 against the Lightning in '15. Worst coached game of all time, from dressing #27 with his injury to getting shut out at home under constant pressure with no response (something that has become very familiar over the past seasons).
It wasn't 1 game for me. 3 years ago I started noticing disturbing trends...total reliance on goaltending on the defensive zone....defenseman frequently and inexplicably at the points...the slot being left side open...an inability to sustain offensive zone pressure and relying far too much in breakaways and odd man rushes. The need to play deficient players like girardi and glass big time minutes. The idiotic trend of pairing his worst defenseman with his best defenseman. Spreading the ice time out evenly even when it's clear 1 line is flying and the other 3 are sucking. Switching lines that are clearly dominating to try to jump start other lines rather than riding the hot hand and trying to figure out the other lines without effing up what's working. Playing yandle on the 2nd pp....like....why? Saying 1 thing and completely doing something else
..for example...I need to rest Boyle or girardi and instead playing them huge minutes.

Mcilrath playing with yandle was a dominant pairing....he effed it up by playing an injured Klein. Did he ruin military with that decision? Who knows...sure seemed like it.

Either way..the list of reasons I turned on av was a mile long...it didn't all happen in 1 game..I noticed it from game 1 and it just kept adding and adding till I just said I'm done.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I actually have respect for teams trying to beat someone with goals rather than fists after incidents like this. Of course, the Rangers just failed. If they had successfully mounted a comeback in the 3rd (which might have happened if they didn’t allow a goal 16 seconds after they made it 3-2), a lot of you wouldn’t be complaining.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I actually have respect for teams trying to beat someone with goals rather than fists after incidents like this. Of course, the Rangers just failed. If they had successfully mounted a comeback in the 3rd (which might have happened if they didn’t allow a goal 16 seconds after they made it 3-2), a lot of you wouldn’t be complaining.

Disagree . Winning games is important of course .But making sure people aren't running and hurting your players is just as important.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Tough energy guy Cody McLeod as designated by Vigneault:

Deter cheap shots against teammates?
Generate energy and forecheck?
Stick up for teammate and seek retribution for the enjoyment and benefit of teammates and fans?
contribute meaningful minutes in any of the three zones of hockey?
Bring better locker room presence and raise team spirit?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Are you serious. They completely emasculated themselves. F the score. Holy hell

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Disagree . Winning games is important of course .But making sure people aren't running and hurting your players is just as important.

And how does beating them up after your players got hurt prevent those players from getting hurt?

I’m not saying they shouldn’t do a better job sticking up for one another overall, because they should, but doing it in reaction during a game doesn’t go back in time and prevent the injuries. It doesn’t punish the opposition either. The only thing it might do is bring a greater pride of being part of this particular team. Winning the game as a reaction to that does a better job.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
And how does beating them up after your players got hurt prevent those players from getting hurt?

I’m not saying they shouldn’t do a better job sticking up for one another overall, because they should, but doing it in reaction during a game doesn’t go back in time and prevent the injuries. It doesn’t punish the opposition either. The only thing it might do is bring a greater pride of being part of this particular team. Winning the game as a reaction to that does a better job.

You can't win games if your players are constantly getting injured by people taking shots at them .

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
It sure can, people will think twice about getting their arms up sticks up etc. It's worked for decades all of the sudden it doesn't work? Don't buy that.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Great. Except again, beating up the opposition after your players are already hurt doesn’t prevent that.

Many people still think detterence is an effective counter measure. That's the primary reason. It's very intuitive but unfortunately it's empircally false.

The concept of detterent as a preventative measure has been long disproven as a reliable measure in situations with few controls.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It sure can, people will think twice about getting their arms up sticks up etc. It's worked for decades all of the sudden it doesn't work? Don't buy that.

It never worked because you literally can’t go back in time.

Like I said, this team can do a better job sticking up for each other. That’s an overall thing. I’m talking specifically about last nights game and reaction to your players getting hurt by trying to hurt Predators players.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

Hockey is at its cleanest nowadays than ever before when brawls were more accepted for decades. Deterrence has never worked the way you are imagining.

Mike Milbury beating some chump with a shoe didn't deter anyone from chirping players from the stands either.

The best way to reduce cheap shots is clear guidelines on what's acceptable and what's not taught at a young age in organized hockey at all levels.

Guys aren't afraid of scraps. It's hockey. The only legitimate deterrence is unadultered retaliation and headshots with intent to injure and end career which no one should advocate for.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
i really hate the toughness debate. its ridiculous. I look at it like how can you just lay down when a teams thrashing you. but i guess thats just my age group

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
It never worked because you literally can’t go back in time.

Like I said, this team can do a better job sticking up for each other. That’s an overall thing. I’m talking specifically about last nights game and reaction to your players getting hurt by trying to hurt Predators players.

It has nothing to do with hurting their players my point is if you continue to let people hurt your players you won't be able to win. We all want to win. Players had been policing themselves for a long time. It's starting to stop . Now we're seeing more injuries.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

For me it was game 7 against the Lightning in '15. Worst coached game of all time, from dressing #27 with his injury to getting shut out at home under constant pressure with no response (something that has become very familiar over the past seasons). Also playing Dan Boyle at F/D in some first time attempted scheme.

2014 Stanley Cup Finals in its entirety. How many third period leads did we blow thanks to his Herm Edwards prevent defense bullshit.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Hockey is at its cleanest nowadays than ever before when brawls were more accepted for decades. Deterrence has never worked the way you are imagining.

Mike Milbury beating some chump with a shoe didn't deter anyone from chirping players from the stands either.

The best way to reduce cheap shots is clear guidelines on what's acceptable and what's not taught at a young age in organized hockey at all levels.

Guys aren't afraid of scraps. It's hockey. The only legitimate deterrence is unadultered retaliation and headshots with intent to injure and end career which no one should advocate for.

Look at the days of Gretz .No one was taking shots at Him because they knew they'd have to answer the bell from anyone of those players . Especially while he was in Edm and LA

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

still doesn't stop guys like Radio Gudas because it shows time and time again these guys will commit the penalty and take the suspension. they need to start suspending players permanently who have lengthy track records.

Reactions: Tob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad