Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Nashville Predators - February 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This toughness conversation is so dried up this is just going to be a conversation that never dies because we have disagreements one thing none of us disagree on is the fact this guy chewing moron needs to go when this season ends

The need for an enforcer due to the chance (and going back earlier, likelihood) that something would go down is long gone. However, for as long as you and I live, its going to be equal parts frustrating and disappointing to see your favorite team fail to respond to a situation like last night. Thats more about pride and unity than TUFFNESS. Then again, its par for the course for this season. Ive never gotten the sense this team would go to the mat for each other.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
If you define modern NHL toughness as getting in people's faces, being annoying to play against and winning one on one battles, we're very clearly not tough at all.

McLeod (don't know why he's here either) had two "great" chances to board people when things were hot last night, happy it didn't happen.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not arguing that AV shouldn't get the axe but some of the **** I have to read here about him is just mind numbingly paranoiac nonsense or just plain stupid. That he doesn't know how to coach, or he has sinister designs against certain players, he's arrogant etc. blah, blah, blah.

The truth I think is a lot simpler--he's really lost the pulse of the team and is at a loss at figuring out how to rectify it. He's tried a lot of different ****--that's for sure but the overall talent level of the team was not that great to begin with so....cut the coach but IMO there's blame to go around--to Gorton, to Vigneault and his staff and to the players. It's a combination that simply ain't working anymore and IMO that's pretty much all it is.

Buchnevich was getting his 15 minutes of ice time--all 5v5, 5v4 the major part of it with top 6 forwards. DeAngelo's play away from the puck early in the year was pretty bad--in Hartford he struggled for a while too. He's playing a lot better now--a lot better than a lot of the other D. I've never seen or heard AV cutting his players up. I've never really seen him blowing up and ranting and raving to the press. What I've always seen is composure even when everything's going to **** and that started his first season when we got off to a horrible start. He's always kept his cool.

Again this is not to say we shouldn't fire him and get another coach. It very much appears to me that he's lost a team--that's on a decline anyway. All this demonization and scapegoating though to me is what the ****? We can be better than that.

Well said. The vitriol is cringe worthy.

The only thing I'll add is that while I agree AV has lost the pulse of the team, I also think the pulse of the squad has been slowing since 2014. AV isn't the rah rah coach who is going to perform CPR. Ok, enough with that analogy....

But guys like McDonagh and Nash don't have the personalities to rally the room either. Combine that with being decimated by injuries and a looming sale, and you get a team that is clinically dead.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would like to apologize.

My decision to part ways from the games for the time being was a personal one, and I have my reasons.

I decided to have some fun with that, and I realize that maybe those antics weren't in the best taste for everyone else.

So in the words of Artem Anisimov, sorry by me.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

My decision to part ways from the games for the time being was a personal one, and I have my reasons.

I decided to have some fun with that, and I realize that maybe those antics weren't in the best taste for everyone else.

Believe me if this trade deadline is abysmal for us this season I won't watch until the draft

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

No need to apologize. The tenor of your posts over the last couple of years shows how spoiled you are thanks to a team that was pretty successful from 2012-2015.

Some of us are used to this, and continue to stick by the team.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No need to apologize. The tenor of your posts over the last couple of years shows how spoiled you are thanks to a team that was pretty successful from 2012-2015.

Yeah sometimes I forget that everyone on HF under 30 is 7 years old.

No middle ground.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Ive said it before and will repeat it again, this is the softest Ranger team I have seen since 1964-65. I am not saying you need a goon to sit on the bench all night and use him once a night for retribution. I am saying they need guys up and down the lineup that will stick up for one another and know what to do once the gloves are dropped.. See Skjei. Also guys that will make the opposition regret going into the corner for a puck.. Force the opposition to skate with their heads on a swivel. It pains me to see players run by Swedes, and Russians with no answer.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well said. The vitriol is cringe worthy.

The only thing I'll add is that while I agree AV has lost the pulse of the team, I also think the pulse of the squad has been slowing since 2014. AV isn't the rah rah coach who is going to perform CPR. Ok, enough with that analogy....

But guys like McDonagh and Nash don't have the personalities to rally the room either. Combine that with being decimated by injuries and a looming sale, and you get a team that is clinically dead.

It's a good point you make about McDonagh and Nash--they are too laid back. There needs to be tension in the room and more for more important games. I don't get the sense there is and all the poorly played first periods just show me that the team more often than not has not been sufficiently ready to play and that's on the coaches and the guys with the letters. I do get the sense that Henrik is really pissed off but I don't get the sense that his hatred to lose permeates throughout the locker room. Personally I think McDonagh's personality is not all that unlike Brian Leetch and Brian was a great player but not a very good captain.

IMO if McDonagh survives the purge at the deadline and at the draft I wouldn't hold it against a new coach to name a new captain and drop Ryan down to an A.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It was a dirty hit and looking at the main board last night and having all these yahoos going on about how clean it was--was just f***ing laughable. Vesey did not see that hit coming and got it square in the center of his face. It's the kind of hit that can seriously effect or end a career. To me it should have been 5 anyway but 3 is about what I expected.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
The need for an enforcer due to the chance (and going back earlier, likelihood) that something would go down is long gone. However, for as long as you and I live, its going to be equal parts frustrating and disappointing to see your favorite team fail to respond to a situation like last night. Thats more about pride and unity than TUFFNESS. Then again, its par for the course for this season. Ive never gotten the sense this team would go to the mat for each other.
Agreed especially on last sentence. Just can’t imagine why rangers are trying to corner the market on wusses?

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

??? They didn't win any Stanley Cups so the "success" was moot. We are still the least successful of the Original Six teams.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

I hear ya man, I haven’t been as focused with the team either lately. I have a lot of shit going on in my own life that’s already stressing me out: girlfriend’s coming here on a fiancé visa next month, trying to find a better job but can’t. The one thing that used to get my mind off things, the Rangers went to shit so I haven’t given them much attention. I’m no fair weather fan either, I lived through the dark age, going like 20 games without a win against the Devils. I’ve been fortunate enough to see the Rangers play in 16 NHL arenas, I’m as die hard as they come, and this season I’ve seen so much hostility on here, it’s definitely more than I’ve ever seen on here. We have to remember it’s just a game guys, for our entertainment. Let’s try to enjoy the rest of the season and pray management makes the right decisions. Anyway, I’m outta here, time for a drink.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hear ya man, I haven’t been as focused with the team either lately. I have a lot of **** going on in my own life that’s already stressing me out: girlfriend’s coming here on a fiancé visa next month, trying to find a better job but can’t. The one thing that used to get my mind off things, the Rangers went to **** so I haven’t given them much attention. I’m no fair weather fan either, I lived through the dark age, going like 20 games without a win against the Devils. I’ve been fortunate enough to see the Rangers play in 16 NHL arenas, I’m as die hard as they come, and this season I’ve seen so much hostility on here, it’s definitely more than I’ve ever seen on here. We have to remember it’s just a game guys, for our entertainment. Let’s try to enjoy the rest of the season and pray management makes the right decisions. Anyway, I’m outta here, time for a drink.

Finding work is tough. I was lost until I totally lucked into my job.

I've only seen the Rangers in two places, but now that I've got a big boy job, I'm hoping to go on vacation to tour some arenas someday.

Despite the odd misconceptions about my age, I remember that Devils streak quite vividly. I remember finally beating them. It was a Saturday afternoon game on Fox, or it might have already been ABC by then. We got them in New Jersey, 4-3 I think. Felt like we won the Stanley Cup.

There certainly is a lot of hostility on here, and I'm guilty of it. I think everyone is just frustrated with all of this. I know the Dark Ages may have been worse in the standings, but the way this team loses and the whole atmosphere is just appalling. I think it's a clear case of a coach who lost the team long ago, but I'm speculating.

That's why people have this idea that I don't remember the Dark Ages at all. But I was there, and this team bothers me more. Maybe they're better in the standings, but they bother me more, and let's face it, the Hall of Fame goaltending has a lot to do with them being better in the standings.

Anyway, hope everything works out. We don't often agree, but you're pretty good. Hope to be back on the battlefront with you with a watchable team soon.

Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
All the niceties are good and all but let’s get back to reality. I still want my team to go commando on the rest of the NHL and start collecting scalps

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
All the niceties are good and all but let’s get back to reality. I still want my team to go commando on the rest of the NHL and start collecting scalps
I don't think that's realistic. Have you considered watching UFC instead?

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->