New head coach

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
First of all, we would have one financially heavy UFA signing then. I don't think the team was weaker than most cup winning teams. The problem was, the best players weren't the best players in those crucial games. I'm fine with the way the Samuelis handle it. The material to win the cup is there.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the beginning of next season is going to be the first few months of the 2011-12 season all over again

quad65

I could agree with you, but then we are both wrong
I believe it is unfair to blame the Samuelis. We were up to the cap and at some point last season we even had to wiggle the line-up to be under the cap.
It's probably more a sign to Murray to stop making bonehead decisions such as signing washed-up Veterans (incl. the coach) and trading away young assets without giving them a real chance to develop ...

Reactions: Kalv
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I really don't have much clue about up and coming coaches, but do you guys think Konowalchuk is being groomed as the next head coach? He had a good run with Seattle in WHL and ended it with a championship before joining the Ducks as an assistant. Prior to that he served as an assistant coach for the Avs. I have no idea what kind of a game he coaches, but maybe he has a future here?

EDIT:
Did some googling and found an article by Stephens from about a year ago:
The power play is one area that Konowalchuk is expected to spent plenty of time on as it’ll be a collective effort between him, Carlyle and another first-year assistant, Mark Morrison, to find a way to improve the Ducks’ disappointing results with the man advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masch78
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I really don't have much clue about up and coming coaches, but do you guys think Konowalchuk is being groomed as the next head coach? He had a good run with Seattle in WHL and ended it with a championship before joining the Ducks as an assistant. Prior to that he served as an assistant coach for the Avs. I have no idea what kind of a game he coaches, but maybe he has a future here?

EDIT:
Did some googling and found an article by Stephens from about a year ago:
Whomever is in charge of the power play should be dismissed. That was a dismal, unresponsive effort, and no on in management should have any confidence in it.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, now that RC is back, there still remains one, as yet, unresolved mystery. The team holds an option on his coaching contract for 19-20. Does that get picked up yet this summer or does RC go into next year as a lame duck coach? (In addition to already being a lame, Ducks coach. ;))

Given what has just transpired a non extension would seem to indicate he is on shaky ground.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I just don't get what the point is. You're already taking a lot of power away by not having him under contract past the year. I assume the hope is to show he's capable of adapting (which everyone knows he isn't capable of). There's no way the team starts off super hot, so it's either they play mediocre or abysmal.

BM makes the coaching change, and ultimately they lose training camp + how many games into the season to install a new coach and new system.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just don't get what the point is. You're already taking a lot of power away by not having him under contract past the year. I assume the hope is to show he's capable of adapting (which everyone knows he isn't capable of). There's no way the team starts off super hot, so it's either they play mediocre or abysmal.

BM makes the coaching change, and ultimately they lose training camp + how many games into the season to install a new coach and new system.
Except that unless you roll with an assistant as a temp, it's slim pickins to hire a coach mid season. If you make a permanent hire mid season you run the risk of hiring more mediocrity.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm fine with Yawney being let go. If he was in charge of the defense and PK, both definitely underperformed given the talent on the roster.

It's not the big change we need but I'm happy there's at least a shakeup.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
well this is the first time i'm finding out the ducks have assistants named mark morrison and rich preston. shows how much impact they have on the team

i really was wondering what the return of the mack singer was up to these days. pretty cool how he got into hockey after his music career ended

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Next season is a good season to suck though, draft looks great center-wise, just what this team needs for the future.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not sure I`m happy Yawney was let go. He was good at developing D`s for us and seemed to be knowing what he`s doing. I don`t have any inside info or anything, though

Reactions: Bee

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yet they kept Konowalchuk who was in charge of the god awful PP. Good logic.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yet they kept Konowalchuk who was in charge of the god awful PP. Good logic.

In fairness Carlyle has a lot to do with the PP too. And his personnel usage was questionable at best. How many times do we need to see Getzlaf at the point and Fowler being stationary at the blueline fail before something else is tried?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
In fairness Carlyle has a lot to do with the PP too. And his personnel usage was questionable at best. How many times do we need to see Getzlaf at the point and Fowler being stationary at the blueline fail before something else is tried?
Oh I agree. Carlyle I'm sure designs the "template", as he likes to say, for the PP. But since Carlyle is going nowhere, you would have thought Konowalchuk would go before Yawney for this reason only.

The entries are god awful too. They consistently use Getzlaf as the guy they drop the puck to at or behind center ice, as opposed to a guy with speed like Fowler/Montour/Rakell. This inevitably ends up in Getz lumbering up the ice while everyone else waits for him, stationary at the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad