New head coach

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm pretty sure you could do that in theory, although I'm unsure if a team ever has. Like for us, Eakins is under contract to the team and he does whatever they assign him to. It's like how fired coaches are still under contract and other teams need permission to talk to them. He might not like it after and want out, but yeah, I do think he could in theory be the interim coach in Anaheim after a Carlyle firing and be back in San Diego if it doesn't work out. The last part is key as most of them do tend to work out.

Ok, I wasn't sure if they were different contracts. Like a player who signs an AHL only contract for the Gulls can't play for the Ducks without a new contract (I think), I wasn't sure if the coach is contracted with San Diego and would need a new contract for the Ducks, then if it doesn't work out in the NHL would have to sign a new contract again.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Just need to wait for Cooper to be fired, and hope Anaheim are in for him.

Personally I'd rather Anaheim stayed away from Bowness if they are looking for a new coach in future (though he might not be in frame for the opening this time around when it happens). Not sure a 64 year old who has had 1 head coaching role in the last 20 years would be the answer.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
To the surprise of nobody, Caps' management is now saying that if Trotz wants to return, they'll gladly re-sign him. Trotz getting a hefty raise?
If he re-signs yes. The question is, does he want to go back and what kind of other offers are out there. Coming off the proverbial career year, his price is certainly going to be higher than originally anticipated.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
From 31 thoughts:
2. Trotz reportedly made $1.5M last season. Coach salaries aren’t public, but, from what I understand, that is lower than anyone currently under contract who has won a Stanley Cup.

Anaheim’s Randy Carlyle is believed to be around $2 million. Peter Laviolette and John Tortorella are believed to be in the mid-twos. Dan Bylsma (still under contract to Buffalo) and Mike Sullivan are three-ish. Darryl Sutter’s last deal was $3.5 million. Claude Julien’s contract has been publicly reported at five, while Mike Babcock and Joe Quenneville are over six.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
So we're paying for top 10 coach, but not getting a top 10 coach. Seems right in line with BM's bottom pair D budget management.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So we're paying for top 10 coach, but not getting a top 10 coach. Seems right in line with BM's bottom pair D budget management.

How did you make that leap? Of the few coaches salaries we've heard about, I believe his is the lowest for next year. That's not to say it's the lowest league-wide, but they listed six current coaches and two former who made more than him.

Reactions: Dirk316

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
How did you make that leap? Of the few coaches salaries we've heard about, I believe his is the lowest for next year. That's not to say it's the lowest league-wide, but they listed six current coaches and two former who made more than him.

Okay, even if I jumped to conclusions and he's not in the top 10, is 2 million spent on RC a good value?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Okay, even if I jumped to conclusions and he's not in the top 10, is 2 million spent on RC a good value?

It's probably worth every penny just to see you guys get mad about it.

Seriously, though, yes. It's the lowest I've seen documented for anyone with experience outside of Trotz and Rick Tocchet($1.5 according to CapFriendly) and his one full year. Trotz's and Laviolette's also came pre-Babcock whereas Carlyle's didn't, so there's a pretty decent chance that over $2 million is the going rate for anyone with a decent body of work, putting Carlyle's salary towards the bottom, if not right there.

Reactions: Dirk316

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He stepped down because he didn`t get enough $`s from Washington. I assume money will be a huge consideration wherever he`s going

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He stepped down because he didn`t get enough $`s from Washington. I assume money will be a huge consideration wherever he`s going
Apparently winning the cup triggered an automatic 2 year extension for Trotz (pending his agreement to it). However, it was only a bump in pay of $300K, which took him from $1.5 million to $1.8 million, which is below market value (according to LeBrun). They were trying to work an an alternate contract, but couldn't agree on terms.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
On one hand it's certainly surprising they are letting him walk after winning the Cup. On the other, despite winning the Cup it's perhaps understandable that Washington don't want to commit to what would likely be a 2.5m+ a year contract to a guy they were probably a couple of games away from firing mid-season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
On one hand it's certainly surprising they are letting him walk after winning the Cup. On the other, despite winning the Cup it's perhaps understandable that Washington don't want to commit to what would likely be a 2.5m+ a year contract to a guy they were probably a couple of games away from firing mid-season.
I read somewhere he wanted 5 years. If that so, then it makes more sense from Washington POV. Trotz is good but I understand why some teams would be hesitant to pay that.
Definitely not gonna sign with us, that price tag is too high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad