New head coach

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Ok, I've watched hockey most of my 56 years .
Played a little,
And been a fan as long as I can remember.
I am not saying I have a huge store of knowledge,
But what is ONE thing Carlyle has done this past year
That made this team consistently better.

I've never seen a decent team look as bad as the Ducks looked so often,
And I find it hard to believe this team played a system that took advantage of their talents. They stood around not moving, made stupid mistakes and insisted on running a guy like bieksa on the ice all year, his greatest contribution was injuring himself in a one punch fight. Then when it dawned on him that this same fool wasn't going to work in the playoffs we had kids who didn't get much NHL time in due to the minutes the human mistake took all season.

what positive to this team does Carlyle bring?? For me, he allowed my to watch more of Vegas play, which is a lot of fun, but not much positive for anaheim

Oct 18, 2011
The assistants don't matter they carry out Randy's orders. We've had two different pp coaches the last two years and it wasn't good either time
Just to expand on this

Paul MacLean came in under BB to help the PP. It was great, the next year it sucked.

PM did not become a shitty coach over night, of course there are variables involved. But two years and two different PP coaches and the result is the same....also we do not have a true PP QB. Murray will not go out and pay for a premier OFD and I think that's another reasonwhy our offense dries up so easily, we don't have that guy that constantly generate offense back there. We have capable guys offensively but no game changers.

Oct 18, 2011
In fairness Carlyle has a lot to do with the PP too. And his personnel usage was questionable at best. How many times do we need to see Getzlaf at the point and Fowler being stationary at the blueline fail before something else is tried?
Playing Kesler over Grant on the PP was completely moronic especially when it became clear Kesler wasn't himself. Grant probably had the best net presence on the team this year...and he was a player under utilized

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
While we're on the topic of RC's shortcomings, how is a team, coached by a guy who is supposed to be know for accountability, constantly taking stupid penalties? How are they constantly getting caught being lazy on line changes? Does anybody even listen to this guy?

Bob's had a good run and he's done a lot of good things for this team, but it's time somebody give him his pink slip. This is just pissing away another year, knowing exactly what we should be doing and not hiring somebody more competent to get it done.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Just to expand on this

Paul MacLean came in under BB to help the PP. It was great, the next year it sucked.

PM did not become a ****ty coach over night, of course there are variables involved. But two years and two different PP coaches and the result is the same....also we do not have a true PP QB. Murray will not go out and pay for a premier OFD and I think that's another reasonwhy our offense dries up so easily, we don't have that guy that constantly generate offense back there. We have capable guys offensively but no game changers.
The problem is it wouldn't matter who we had on the ice given the coach we have in charge of the PP. I'd sure give Montour a shot a QBing the PP. He can pass, he can shoot, and he moves. The problem is you need a PP "system" that not only allows for that, but is actually based on that kind of play.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Since this has turned into a vent about RC now that's he's coming back thread, let me contribute:

-His "accountable" team consistently takes more penalties than it draws.
-Don't understand the supposed genius (according to Hazy) of hard matching. Is giving up possession of the puck to get the desired matchup really an advantage?
-RC's unwillingness to ice a potentially productive 4th line. The consequences in burning out the top forwards go unmentioned by him.
-His passive aggressive attitude towards overtime. Hey, Randy, those points count in the standings, too.
-Calling out the mistakes of only certain players, leaving others able to make the same dumb plays over and over again.
-Bieksa
-Having Getzlaf kill penalties.
-San Jose series

Reactions: Bee

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Season ticket holders need to cancel their tickets citing specifically Carlyle and/or Bob Murray has to go. The ducks are too chicken **** to make a move without a strong financial push.

Too late. In order to get playoff strips, the Ducks made STH and mini-plan holder put down a non-refundable deposit for next season. There are probably some people who didn't put down a deposit, so they can still not renew.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Just to expand on this

PM did not become a ****ty coach over night, of course there are variables involved. But two years and two different PP coaches and the result is the same....also we do not have a true PP QB. Murray will not go out and pay for a premier OFD and I think that's another reasonwhy our offense dries up so easily, we don't have that guy that constantly generate offense back there. We have capable guys offensively but no game changers.
Didn't Randy basically chastise Montour for trying to lead the rush too much? Could see us getting E Karlssen and Randy teaching him to hang back more rather than push the play

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Didn't Randy basically chastise Montour for trying to lead the rush too much? Could see us getting E Karlssen and Randy teaching him to hang back more rather than push the play
EK65 true potential is a stay at home defensemen. -Randycapped

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Surprisingly enough RC not among the jack Adams finalists this season. In case anyone was wondering.

Reactions: AngelDuck

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Surprisingly enough RC not among the jack Adams finalists this season. In case anyone was wondering.

Bob Hartley got one for getting an injured Flames team to the 8th seed, and Paul Maclean got one for the same reason with Ottawa... If this was a Canadian team RC might have actually had a shot.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Yeah, we need a good coach to somehow be available during the season. Or just make do with RC at the helm for one more season.
Help us, Joel-Wan Quenobi, you're our only hope.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, we need a good coach to somehow be available during the season. Or just make do with RC at the helm for one more season.
Help us, Joel-Wan Quenobi, you're our only hope.

There might be a few notable names available next summer. I'd probably bet on Q being one of them and I'm really not convinced Babcock is safe. I think Cooper is also entering the last year of his deal and if he doesn't sign an extension this summer it could be a sign Tampa is moving on.

Edit-Oh Lauer is also gone from Tampa. That really isn't a great sign for Cooper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortal Wombat

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I seem to recall BM saying he only fired RC mid season the first time because Washington had just fired BB. If there were no good (at least good in BM's eyes) experienced head coaches available, it seems BM would not have fired RC the first time.

Not that this is a bad thing to have a viable replacement lined up, but the only way I see RC getting fired this upcoming mid season is if there is an experienced head coach available. A lot of the time these types of coaches don't seem available in the middle of a season. I just don't see him firing RC mid season to simply promote Eakins (even though I think that would be a good thing).

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not that this is a bad thing to have a viable replacement lined up, but the only way I see RC getting fired this upcoming mid season is if there is an experienced head coach available. A lot of the time these types of coaches don't seem available in the middle of a season. I just don't see him firing RC mid season to simply promote Eakins (even though I think that would be a good thing).

Just out of curiosity, could a minor league coach be "brought up" to be the interim coach of the NHL club then sent back to minors if he doesn't work out or a better option is available? Or is it usually an NHL assistant coach that will take over unless the minor league coach is promoted?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, could a minor league coach be "brought up" to be the interim coach of the NHL club then sent back to minors if he doesn't work out or a better option is available? Or is it usually an NHL assistant coach that will take over unless the minor league coach is promoted?

I'm pretty sure you could do that in theory, although I'm unsure if a team ever has. Like for us, Eakins is under contract to the team and he does whatever they assign him to. It's like how fired coaches are still under contract and other teams need permission to talk to them. He might not like it after and want out, but yeah, I do think he could in theory be the interim coach in Anaheim after a Carlyle firing and be back in San Diego if it doesn't work out. The last part is key as most of them do tend to work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad