Confirmed with Link: Nash (50% ret.) to Boston for Spooner + Lindgren + Beleskey (50% ret.) + 2018 1st + 2019 7th

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Nobody got fleeced. Boston has an endless supply of young talent and got needed cap room. If you polled 10-15 of the most knowledgeable Bruins prospect bloggers, the bulk would say Lindgren is in the 10-12 range of their entire prospect pool, and thats not including the kids in the NHL. The contending Bruins got the best all-around forward on the market. End of story.

They added a proven goal scorer who balances their lines and he's playing for a contract. That top line arguably is the best in hockey (look it up -- it probably is). The Bruins were dealing from a position of strength. They lost nothing important or noteworthy aside from a late 1st -- the going rate for a notable rental.

The people saying Gorton "fleeced" Sweeney will be changing their tune in a few weeks. Mark my words.

It was a good trade that made sense for both teams. Period.

The people who are saying the Bruins got fleeced don't really know how these kinds of deals work. You have to pay to get a top flight rental, and the payment was reasonable all things considered. As far as who ends up "winning" the trade, time will tell. Depending on how the Bruins do in the post season and how the players/picks develop for the Rangers, it's possible it works out well for both sides.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
No not that rebuild. The one Sweeney started in 2015 when he traded Lucic and Hamilton.

They’re in pretty good shape now compared to where they were then.
Hopefully we don't pass over this year's Barzal and Boesser

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nash I expect will do well in Boston. He's not going to be expected to carry the offense only to contribute to it. His all around should help them a lot too.

He's not the player he was when we got him from Columbus and he's better off not in a 1st line role.

As far as the trade goes---we got a very good return--the 1st, Lindgren who is a very good prospect, Spooner who is a good top 9 forward who we can probably flip if we choose to. Boston got what it wanted--they've got a much better forward group going into the playoffs substituting Nash for Spooner. They might not go very far all the same but they do have a better chance of going further.

Boston also has numerous D prospects that are pretty good---not counting the two very young D on their main roster McAvoy (who is a stud) and Carlo they still have Vaakanainen, Zboril (two first rounders)--Grzelcyk who goes back and forth between Boston and Providence and Lauzon. They were dealing Lindgren from a strength and a surplus.

IMO both teams did pretty well as far as getting what they wanted.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Lol.

I think some of you think the pieces are all going to be in place for a rebuild by this Monday.

It doesn’t work that way.

The Rangers are still adding young talent, and will have to continue to do so for at least another couple of seasons.

That includes the upcoming draft, additional trades, and signings.

I am sure they are not content with their depth at the forward ranks. But we are just starting the entire process.

Trust me, this is going to take some time and it’s not always going to be pleasant.

This is why people gave Rick Nash such a pass for being a chump in 2014 and couldn't understand why I was so heated. You don't go right back with a team that is peaking. It's going to take a while, but...

At least for once in a long as I can remember they are trying to build.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
As an Islander Fan, I commend your GM for getting a really good return on Nash. Good job, I think your rebuild is going real nice so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheTakedown

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
As an Islander Fan, I commend your GM for getting a really good return on Nash. Nash was garbage, he never fulfilled what he was brought in to do when he came to the Rangers. I think he had one good year (regular season). Good job, I think your rebuild is going real nice so far.

Garbage is a bit harsh. But he certainly didn't achieve what we hoped he would...particularly when it mattered the most. That said, I have no ill will for the guy and wish him well in Boston or wherever he ends up.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Boston got a pretty good example of what they get from Nash going forward. Pretty good possession player, lots of shot attempts, but not much points. The poor guy hit the post. It looks like they will try to put him in a position to succeed. He was on the #1 pp unit and got some penalty killing time. Best of luck Rick.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Boston didn't get fleeced. Nash helps any, every, team in the NHL even if some of us think he should've scored more goals, scored more in the playoffs, or whatever. He was our best forward.

Boston will feel better and better about this the further they go in the playoffs.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I like it. And even though we took Beleskey back they're going to be paying half of it. Spooner ain't great but he ain't terrible and we even got a 7th rounder next year.

And best of all is this year's first and Ryan Lindgren. Gorton did really well.
He ain't great......yet! I like this kid, it's just that he really hasn't been given a solid couple of chances. No playing time and not really sure who he played with.......just have a great feeling "they ain't flipping him" not so easily anyway. He'll get ample playing time now......a chance to shine. He's good and we might be really surprised at his talents.
That 7th pick was the deal icing on the cake......gonna draft another Hank clone, albeit not at the goalie position. Lol

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I defer to you since your the B's fan. As long as you don't expect Nash to score a ton, you'll be happy. He's a solid 2-way player.
SPOONER is great on the HALF WALL on the PP......Congrats.....In the right situation he can be a very effective player........We sucked today but NASH was outstanding.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Any team that landed Nash would’ve gotten “fleeced”. That is what the market determined.

If there were more players like Nash on the market the Rangers wouldn’t have got such a great return.

A lot of it is about timing and kudos to the Rangers for pulling the trigger on the full “rebuild” (and a little bit of luck how things break in the rest of the league doesn’t hurt either)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad