Confirmed with Link: Nash (50% ret.) to Boston for Spooner + Lindgren + Beleskey (50% ret.) + 2018 1st + 2019 7th

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Was going to post this even before today’s game. As far as Spooner is concerned I don’t see the URGENCY to move him right away before evaluating what they have there. We’ve seen examples of players coming into their own around this age with a change in a scenery. Being RFA helps to control a cost and a value loss as a trade asset should not be a big risk.

Re. Gorton, there was such a big deal about making a trade with NJD. IMHO even more kudos to Gorton on dealing with Boston because of his personal history.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
we absolutely smoked Boston on this trade. I never expected such return. Spooner is probably worth a late 1st rounder himself or we can keep him and trade him in the future. If Lindgren pans out and Beleskey turns it around that would be fantastic. Spooner already looks like more offensively capable than Nash.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Was going to post this even before today’s game. As far as Spooner is concerned I don’t see the URGENCY to move him right away before checkpoints what they have there. We’ve seen example of players coming into their own around this age with a change in a scenery. Being RFA helps to control a cost and a value loss as a trade asset should not be a big risk.

Re. Gorton, there was such a big deal of making a trade with NJD. IMHO even more kudos to Gorton on dealing with Boston because of his personal history.

I agree I think we can use him for few years before trading him. Unless somebody is really overpaying for him now.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It’s amazing to me how little less Rick Nash was worth today compared to when we acquired him,.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, 1st
Spooner, Beleskey, Lindgren, 1st, 7th

The difference between these two deals is basically the difference between Anisimov and Beleskey. Yes, big difference between those two and the gap narrows slightly because we also got a 3rd back in the first trade. Still. For the difference between Rick Nash of 2012 and 2018 plus the difference in his contract status... I find that astounding.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
It’s amazing to me how little less Rick Nash was worth today compared to when we acquired him,.

The difference between these two deals is basically the difference between Anisimov and Beleskey. Yes, big difference between those two and the gap narrows slightly because we also got a 3rd back in the first trade. Still. For the difference between Rick Nash of 2012 and 2018 plus the difference in his contract status... I find that astounding.

Yeah, and Erixon we all knew at that time was really a bust, but also 1st rounders are a bit different ours was 19th Boston's might be 31st.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think the key is Dubinsky. At the time it was hoped that he'd take that next step and be a consistent 25-30 goal, 60 point player --- a continuation from the door he was knocking on in 2011.

That never happened, and so I think that kind of dragged the rest of the deal down.

But in the context of the time, Columbus probably thought they were getting two top six forwards, and a future second pairing defenseman, along with a first.

Who knows how today's trade will be viewed six years from now.

If the first amounts to nothing and Lindgren doesn't make it, it'll look very different.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think the key is Dubinsky. At the time it was hoped that he'd take that next step and be a consistent 25-30 goal, 60 point player --- a continuation from the door he was knocking on in 2011.

That never happened, and so I think that kind of dragged the rest of the deal down.

But in the context of the time, Columbus probably thought they were getting two top six forwards, and a future second pairing defenseman, along with a first.

Who knows how today's trade will be viewed six years from now.

If the first amounts to nothing and Lindgren doesn't make it, it'll look very different.

Yeah. Some things have definitely evolved in the nearly 6 years. Players aged 26 aren’t really seen as having further upside anymore. Players aged 24 are seen as being close to what they will be.

It’s interesting how Dubinsky really did perform at his normal level (outside his bizarre 11-12 campaign) for the first few years in Columbus, but couldn’t seem to stay healthy.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I find it amazing that we traded Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and the 19th OA for

6 years of Rick Nash
Pavel Buchnevich
(As of right now) 27th overall
Ryan Spooner
Ryan Lindgren

7th round pick
cap dump @ 50% retention
Career minor leaguer (Deslile)

Not bad asset management

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

I see it as:

AA > Spooner (slightly, at time of trade)
Erixon = Lindgren
1st = 1st
Nothing < 7th
Dubinsky >>>> Beleskey (at time of trade)

We paid a bit higher price because Beleskey is negative value and Dubinsky was considered a decent 2nd line, very good third line ~50 point two-way forward at the time. Anisimov and Spooner were similar, which is why I show them as comparable. AA was more proven, Spooner has more upside. Erixon was well thought of as a prospect still, like Lindgren. Beleskey’s negative value versus what’s Dubinsky’s value was at the time is a significant difference... BUT it is 6 years later, so not bad at all for depreciation.

I’m also pretty high on Lindgren. He is a battler. He just does what it takes. Calm on the ice. Has reasonable tools for the offensive side of the game he just focuses far more on taking care of his own end. Good skater. Willing to carry the puck. Makes a solid exit pass. Willing to clear the crease. Stronger than you’d expect.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Sports_Feb262018.jpg

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Are u guys nuts. Flip spooner?? He’s a hell of a player. 26 year old center coming into his own prob puts up 50 60 pts if he doesn’t get hurt this year. This alone would have been a great trade. Getting a first and a very very good Defensive d prospect which we need considering the offensive d we have.

This is a crazy haul and beleskey at 50%? He can fill out the fourth line for two years no problem. Amazing amazing deal
I mean seriously, you are so spot on with your analysis. What are people complaining about? Coming from some of the same people that did nothing but complain about Nasher for years now. Some people are just never happy, while I am easily satisfied. And I liked Nasher, but this had to happen.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
At this rate we could easily trade 2 of our #1's for the overall #1, if we really did want that kid, oh shit.....what the hell is his name. LAM. (Laughing at myself)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Are they seriously thrilled with this trade? I mean, if they win the cup in large part to Nasher's contribution, then they win the trade hands down, regardless of how our additions play. Unless they help us win one......which needs to be the case, then it's a win, win for everyone.
Nasher doesn't have a great PO resumé though, as we all know. Good luck Nasher!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00