Confirmed with Link: Nash (50% ret.) to Boston for Spooner + Lindgren + Beleskey (50% ret.) + 2018 1st + 2019 7th

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I really don't understand why so many people keep saying to flip Spooner. Are we loaded with offensive talent that I am missing? The guy has as many points as Nash this year in 20 less games. With a current roster filled with AHL type players it would be nice to have a 3/4 type bonafide NHL player who can play both center and wing.

Why?

Trou Trou Train

This is an Express train to Penn Station!
Aug 28, 2008
Long Island, NY
giphy.gif

The real question is what do I change my username to?

Reactions: Bob Richards

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It seemed like only yesterday where I thought to myself, "Damn. They took Tim Erixon too"

Great move but I'm still sad he's gone. Thanks, Rick. I hope you win a Cup.

I hope not. I'd much rather get #21 OA than #31 OA. The former is worth double the latter (you'd need to trade 30+31 to move up ~10 spots).

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
We’re already doing the “fleeced” thing? This was a good, fair-trade for both teams, and I’m not particularly a fan of Rick Nash.

Bruins unload a very bad contract to avoid a buyout while they clear the cap-space with Spooner, who they weren’t going to keep. The 1st-round pick in 2018 stings, but that’s the price of unloading a bad contract & acquiring a true, top-six winger.
Spooner wasn’t a long-term solution next to Krejci, but he might stick around in New York. He’s arbitration eligible and needs to be qualified at 2.8m a year to be retained as as he’s an RFA. The Bruins have better players competing for his roster spot, which isn’t a knock on Spooner. Many Bruins fans hate him, I’ve always liked him and he’s proving to be a solid, top-9 forward this year.

The 1st-round pick in 2018 was the asset that allowed the Bruins to keep their high-end prospects and only give up Lindgren.

In regards to Lindgren, NYR got a very good player who projects to be a solid, physical 2nd-pair defensemen. He’s got a real nasty bite to his game and is as tough as they come. His hands are average, but he has a nice first-pass out of the zone. He’s also a good skater who could have easily been a 1st-round pick in his draft year. Lindgren has some really good character, is a natural leader & someone you win with down the road. Hope the best for him.

Good prospect for the Rangers to pick up.

Thanks for the scouting report. Nash is gonna be great for you guys, ignore the haters

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Overpayment by Boston especially because I doubt with their cap situation that they would resign Nash. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Nash takes a discount and signs with us in the offseason to be a veteran presence for the upcoming youth movement. By all accounts he and his family love NY and I highly doubt he's ******** about getting moved because he understands what NYR is trying to do and there were just too many good offers not to move him since the team is clearly not making the playoffs this year with their injuries and Brendan Smith forgetting how to play hockey.

The 1st round pick from Boston does nothing for me; we have enough JT Miller's and Chris Kreiders of the world and its time to draft a gamebreaking forward. Rangers need to package that pick with maybe their own pick and some later picks to move up into the top 3. I hate to even mention it but losing Cherepanov set this team back YEARS, if he had reached the potential everyone thought he was capable of

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Overpayment by Boston especially because I doubt with their cap situation that they would resign Nash. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Nash takes a discount and signs with us in the offseason to be a veteran presence for the upcoming youth movement. By all accounts he and his family love NY and I highly doubt he's ******** about getting moved because he understands what NYR is trying to do and there were just too many good offers not to move him since the team is clearly not making the playoffs this year with their injuries and Brendan Smith forgetting how to play hockey.

The 1st round pick from Boston does nothing for me; we have enough JT Miller's and Chris Kreiders of the world and its time to draft a gamebreaking forward. Rangers need to package that pick with maybe their own pick and some later picks to move up into the top 3. I hate to even mention it but losing Cherepanov set this team back YEARS, if he had reached the potential everyone thought he was capable of

Preds just drafted a potential gamebreaker at #30 last year.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Preds just drafted a potential gamebreaker at #30 last year.

The exception, not the rule. I'm talking about the possibility of getting a generational or near generational player; a Matthews, McDavid, Laine, etc. Those guys don't fall to 30th overall. When was the last time the Rangers drafted a truly generational forward? Kovalev, who never even scored 60 points for them? Hate to mention it but Cherepanov could have been that player but we all know how that shook out :(

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Nobody got fleeced. Boston has an endless supply of young talent and got needed cap room. If you polled 10-15 of the most knowledgeable Bruins prospect bloggers, the bulk would say Lindgren is in the 10-12 range of their entire prospect pool, and thats not including the kids in the NHL. The contending Bruins got the best all-around forward on the market. End of story.

They added a proven goal scorer who balances their lines and he's playing for a contract. That top line arguably is the best in hockey (look it up -- it probably is). The Bruins were dealing from a position of strength. They lost nothing important or noteworthy aside from a late 1st -- the going rate for a notable rental.

The people saying Gorton "fleeced" Sweeney will be changing their tune in a few weeks. Mark my words.

It was a good trade that made sense for both teams. Period.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nobody got fleeced. Boston has an endless supply of young talent and got needed cap room. If you polled 10-15 of the most knowledgeable Bruins prospect bloggers, the bulk would say Lindgren is in the 10-12 range of their entire prospect pool, and thats not including the kids in the NHL. The contending Bruins got the best all-around forward on the market. End of story.

They added a proven goal scorer who balances their lines and he's playing for a contract. That top line arguably is the best in hockey (look it up -- it probably is). The Bruins were dealing from a position of strength. They lost nothing important or noteworthy aside from a late 1st -- the going rate for a notable rental.

The people saying Gorton "fleeced" Sweeney will be changing their tune in a few weeks. Mark my words.

It was a good trade that made sense for both teams. Period.

Here's another way of looking at it:

- Bruins gave up what they could afford
- Rangers got more than enough for a pending UFA
- Nash gets a chance at the Cup with a team that has a good chance

A win-win-win trade for all parties involved

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Don Sweeney’s Boston rebuild is exactly the kind of rebuild the Rangers are gearing up for yah?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad