Confirmed with Link: Nash (50% ret.) to Boston for Spooner + Lindgren + Beleskey (50% ret.) + 2018 1st + 2019 7th

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I haven't read all 16 pages, but the trade obviously revolves around if you even keep Spooner or not. And then if you do, what position he plays.

Spooner has hands down, no doubt about it, been the most frustrating Bruins prospect in recent memory. For those of you old enough, he's been a lot like Kovalev was. Brilliant offensive player, extremely questionable work ethic, very little desire to get dirty, and middling hockey IQ. When he's great you think WOW. When he's bad you want to pull your hair out. Last playoffs he was bad enough the coach had to healthy scratch him along with Hayes and Beleskey. So you can see why some Bruins fans aren't that broken up about seeing him go.

Btw for sure you want to dress him on the wing if you dress him at all (ie don't trade him). At C he's going to be totally overmatched and his defensive zone starts will need to be kept at a minimum.

I'm hoping the first rounder is the last in the round ;)

I don't know if you ever saw Kovalev and no disrespect to Spooner but I would never ever compare him to Kovalev nor would I say that Kovalev's work ethic was questionable. He was a frustrating player with the Rangers though. He was a big star for the Penguins and Canadiens. For us he was inconsistent but he had unreal skill---skating, stickhandling and shooting and he was a bull--like Kreider big and fast and stronger than f***. I wouldn't be surprised to see him some day getting his plaque as a player in the HOF. If he weren't so inconsistent with us he might have made it already.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If we have any hopes of a total firesale including Zucc, one of McD or Zucc has to get done today I'd imagine.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
The Hockey Guy said Bruins won this trade and should have given up more. Basically that Boston gave away players they wanted to unload.

:(

This guy is coping BIG TIME if he thinks the Bruins won the trade.

The Rangers gain multiple assets for a guy who they have no use for at this point. Maybe Beleskey@50%, but thats a blip on the cap radar.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lol.

I think some of you think the pieces are all going to be in place for a rebuild by this Monday.

It doesn’t work that way.

The Rangers are still adding young talent, and will have to continue to do so for at least another couple of seasons.

That includes the upcoming draft, additional trades, and signings.

I am sure they are not content with their depth at the forward ranks. But we are just starting the entire process.

Trust me, this is going to take some time and it’s not always going to be pleasant.

Some of are young aren't going to make it and some of them are going to get moved along. The Rangers are going to be shuffling through them the next couple, three years to figure out who the keepers are all the while that they'll be drafting and signing other players.

Just as a for instance Sean Day's got a lot more difficult road to the Rangers right now--not that he was ever a sure bet to make it but Rykov, Lindgren and Bereglazov are probably better prospects and we haven't even got to the AHL D yet. Gilmour, Pionk, Graves, Sproul, O'Gara and DeAngelo still have a lot to prove. There might be only one or two of these guys in the Rangers organization a couple years from now and two, three, four of them might already be busts.

BruinsNetwork

In Gorts we trust. Fleeced.

We’re already doing the “fleeced” thing? This was a good, fair-trade for both teams, and I’m not particularly a fan of Rick Nash.

Bruins unload a very bad contract to avoid a buyout while they clear the cap-space with Spooner, who they weren’t going to keep. The 1st-round pick in 2018 stings, but that’s the price of unloading a bad contract & acquiring a true, top-six winger.

Spooner wasn’t a long-term solution next to Krejci, but he might stick around in New York. He’s arbitration eligible and needs to be qualified at 2.8m a year to be retained as as he’s an RFA. The Bruins have better players competing for his roster spot, which isn’t a knock on Spooner. Many Bruins fans hate him, I’ve always liked him and he’s proving to be a solid, top-9 forward this year.

The 1st-round pick in 2018 was the asset that allowed the Bruins to keep their high-end prospects and only give up Lindgren.

In regards to Lindgren, NYR got a very good player who projects to be a solid, physical 2nd-pair defensemen. He’s got a real nasty bite to his game and is as tough as they come. His hands are average, but he has a nice first-pass out of the zone. He’s also a good skater who could have easily been a 1st-round pick in his draft year. Lindgren has some really good character, is a natural leader & someone you win with down the road. Hope the best for him.

Good prospect for the Rangers to pick up.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
We’re already doing the “fleeced” thing? This was a good, fair-trade for both teams, and I’m not particularly a fan of Rick Nash.

Bruins unload a very bad contract to avoid a buyout while they clear the cap-space with Spooner, who they weren’t going to keep. The 1st-round pick in 2018 stings, but that’s the price of unloading a bad contract & acquiring a true, top-six winger.

Spooner wasn’t a long-term solution next to Krejci, but he might stick around in New York. He’s arbitration eligible and needs to be qualified at 2.8m a year to be retained as as he’s an RFA. The Bruins have better players competing for his roster spot, which isn’t a knock on Spooner. Many Bruins fans hate him, I’ve always liked him and he’s proving to be a solid, top-9 forward this year.

The 1st-round pick in 2018 was the asset that allowed the Bruins to keep their high-end prospects and only give up Lindgren.

In regards to Lindgren, NYR got a very good player who projects to be a solid, physical 2nd-pair defensemen. He’s got a real nasty bite to his game and is as tough as they come. His hands are average, but he has a nice first-pass out of the zone. He’s also a good skater who could have easily been a 1st-round pick in his draft year. Lindgren has some really good character, is a natural leader & someone you win with down the road. Hope the best for him.

It was a knee jerk reaction 5 minites after the trade. It's a little fairer upon reflection. Relax.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A rebuild can be exciting in the sense that it’s a fresh start, and there’s usually a lot of hope and promise.

But make no mistake, it can be a frustrating experience. There are going to be guys you like, who don’t make it. Others will be moved. You’re going to love the picks you hit on, and lament what could’ve been with the picks you don’t.

Also understand that you’re essentially banking on the unproven, while trading know quantities.

Flaws and all, we know what we have with Grabner, Nash, etc.

At best, we’re making educated guesses with who we’re getting back for them. That doesn’t mean it won’t be better with time, just know that it could be a bunch of answers to trivia questions as well.

Last edited:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010

Solid writeup this, thanx :)

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Matt Beleskey has played in a game between the Hartford Wolf Pack and the Providence Bruins twice in 24 hours... Let that sink in. Yep. Plays for both teams in a single weekend, against both teams

upload_2018-2-25_22-38-47.png

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Nash obviously a little upset over being traded. It’s tough but it’s the business. Feels like yesterday, that hot summer day when they traded for him. Time flies.

Really classy stand up dude though. Always respected him and his two way game with the Rangers.

He always gave a full effort. Snake bit in the big moments. Good luck Nasher.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Uh, why? Why couldn't it get done at the trade deadline?

I meant, if we're going to end up trading both of them, it's likely that a deal in principle is going to be had tonight on one of the deals otherwise it's a lot to get done in a day tomorrow on two complex, does-not-need-to-be-traded high value players with cap complications and everything.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I really don't understand why so many people keep saying to flip Spooner. Are we loaded with offensive talent that I am missing? The guy has as many points as Nash this year in 20 less games. With a current roster filled with AHL type players it would be nice to have a 3/4 type bonafide NHL player who can play both center and wing.

In case you didn't get the memo:

wh924OR.jpg

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I meant, if we're going to end up trading both of them, it's likely that a deal in principle is going to be had tonight on one of the deals otherwise it's a lot to get done in a day tomorrow on two complex, does-not-need-to-be-traded high value players with cap complications and everything.

I don't agree with this at all.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hi guys.

I'm a big Ryan Lindgren fan; he was my favorite Bruins prospect along the blueline. The kid is fearless, a team leader, good mobility, smart, and every time I watch him, I can't help but feel there's some untapped offensive potential in him. For the type of player he can be in the NHL, I think his ceiling would be a Ryan McDonaugh but a more fair comp would be a Travis Hamonic with his floor as a Mark Stuart.

Good luck and I hope he reaches his potential for your team.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I'm sure they have a good handle on what they want...and know what offers are already on the table. Sure, a dark horse team can come out of the woodwork in the final hours, but there's absolutely no reason the Rangers can't make 3 deals tomorrow.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So NYR-BOS:

Nash and Holden for #1, #3, #7, a third liner in his prime, a B prospect and a C- prospect. Not too much high quality, but a ton of quantity that you also need.

I love that Gorts is thinking about the future instead of trading away another second and third for another Smith.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
My question is, if Spooner is a pending RFA, is he more than most guys, essentially "auditioning" for a spot for week? I mean, everyone is in theory, but you know what I mean...

Gorton has cemented himself as pretty assertive with trades, and we need to start building on the W pipeline in particular. What are the odds Spooner, verging on a 2C gets moved for a Grabner-esque return?

Everyone loves the beginning of a rebuilding effort, so exciting to get prospects and picks, and hey, we can suffer through a couple of months of losing as we fantasize about winning #1 overall. Let's see how people react in 2 years when some of the prospects will become busts and the draftees will be slowly developing, as we keep on losing.

We need to trade McD and MZA right now if we want our rebuilding not to take 7 years.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Hi guys.

I'm a big Ryan Lindgren fan; he was my favorite Bruins prospect along the blueline. The kid is fearless, a team leader, good mobility, smart, and every time I watch him, I can't help but feel there's some untapped offensive potential in him. For the type of player he can be in the NHL, I think his ceiling would be a Ryan McDonaugh but a more fair comp would be a Travis Hamonic with his floor as a Mark Stuart.

Good luck and I hope he reaches his potential for your team.

I watched the first 5 minutes of that highlight reel and it is easily the worst highlight reel I have ever seen. That's not to say he won't work out, but highlights those weren't.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00