TV: Mr. Robot (USA Network)

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Tyrell is definitely real

See the difference between Tyrell, Darlene, Angela and Shayla is that they have their own scenes and side-plots

Meanwhile Mr. Robot is directly tied to Elliot.. it's been 5 episodes we'll see if that changes but I'm very certain that they're the same person.

Tinfoil on.. it could even be his dad... Now that's another Dexter similarity

The scene that weirded me out was when Mr. Robot was sitting in his office and no one said anything to him. Wouldn't people like "what the heck?" if someone was sitting in a security firm without knowing anyone?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
They explained that though. In the first episode, Elliot said he's associated E-Corp with Evil Corp so closely that his mind automatically makes the replacement without even thinking about it.

Right, but once you know that, Elliot becomes an unreliable narrator. His mind could also be autocorrecting anything that betrays the existence of Mr. Robot.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I watched 2 episodes of Mr Robot last night. Pretty good. At first glance, it seems like the US version of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but with the edgy geek with psych issues played by an edgy Matthew Broderick clone from the 1980's War Games.

Good call that the viewer should not trust the narrator completely. I'll be more careful on accepting everything Elliot thinks is real, in the future. I'd hate to be fooled later realizing entire parts are just some 'Dallas' type dream sequence that never happened lol. Keeps you on your toes wondering what is real and what isn't.

The pilot is usually better than the subsequent episodes, hope it doesn't drag on like a soap opera. I hope there is a conclusion to the E-Corp plot this year and if the series is successful and continues that they find other villains to go after, post E-Corp saga.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I watched 2 episodes of Mr Robot last night. Pretty good. At first glance, it seems like the US version of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but with the edgy geek with psych issues played by an edgy Matthew Broderick clone from the 1980's War Games.

Good call that the viewer should not trust the narrator completely. I'll be more careful on accepting everything Elliot thinks is real, in the future. I'd hate to be fooled later realizing entire parts are just some 'Dallas' type dream sequence that never happened lol. Keeps you on your toes wondering what is real and what isn't.

The pilot is usually better than the subsequent episodes, hope it doesn't drag on like a soap opera. I hope there is a conclusion to the E-Corp plot this year and if the series is successful and continues that they find other villains to go after, post E-Corp saga.

Rami Malek and Christian Slater did a Q&A with a small audience and they seemed to honestly really like the way the season ended, so I'm counting on it. I have no serious complaints about the season so far though unlike many in here. There's a YT link of it a few pages back if you're interested.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Rami Malek and Christian Slater did a Q&A with a small audience and they seemed to honestly really like the way the season ended, so I'm counting on it. I have no serious complaints about the season so far though unlike many in here. There's a YT link of it a few pages back if you're interested.
Found the YT link. Thanks.

Some here didn't like the drug usage but I didn't mind it in this case. Elliot is troubled, anxious brooding, the drugs numb him. It's an integral part of the character's development, it's not added just for show or artificial edge. The two main hackers here and in Dragon Tattoo are on the fringes of mainstream culture. I guess sometimes fans are disappointed when their heroes are flawed in specific ways and it creates an obstacle to identifying with them but...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Found the YT link. Thanks.

Some here didn't like the drug usage but I didn't mind it in this case. Elliot is troubled, anxious brooding, the drugs numb him. It's an integral part of the character's development, it's not added just for show or artificial edge. The two main hackers here and in Dragon Tattoo are on the fringes of mainstream culture. I guess sometimes fans are disappointed when their heroes are flawed in specific ways and it creates an obstacle to identifying with them but...

I think it's got more to do with the fact that certain scenes don't add anything to the plot, usually revolving around Elliot's drug use.

I mean, his trip to the stash house, what purpose did that serve? He didn't learn any new information there. He got shot, and he had a drug trip, but they could have easily eliminated that scene from the show and replaced it with something worthwhile.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I think it's got more to do with the fact that certain scenes don't add anything to the plot, usually revolving around Elliot's drug use.

I mean, his trip to the stash house, what purpose did that serve? He didn't learn any new information there. He got shot, and he had a drug trip, but they could have easily eliminated that scene from the show and replaced it with something worthwhile.
I think it fits better in this case, in Sherlock Holmes style. What you have is a character with some similarities, a bohemian, eccentric nature on the fringe of society dealing with the underworld and solving mysteries. The books mentioned Holmes occasional drug use but the recent movies and tv shows play up the drug side more than older versions and the newer versions have the new Sherlock having greater issues with social relationships.

Elliot also has similar characteristics with Lisbeth in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (brilliant hacker, deeply troubled social misfit, will attack those who threaten people he/she loves). That series deals more with sex than drugs (and aggression against women).

(I'd complain more about mimicking than a lack of fit)

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
But he didn't solve any mysteries in the drug house. The only thing that happened in that house that was (in any way) related to the story was the Mr. Robot message that appeared on TV. And unless I'm mistaken, that was already into his "trip", so who knows if it even happened? Literally, the only reason they were there was because Elliot needed a fix.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
But he didn't solve any mysteries in the drug house. The only thing that happened in that house that was (in any way) related to the story was the Mr. Robot message that appeared on TV. And unless I'm mistaken, that was already into his "trip", so who knows if it even happened? Literally, the only reason they were there was because Elliot needed a fix.
The scene in the first episode when he has a discussion with the pedophile had nothing to do with much either. It is just about character development. They have more time for that with ten episodes than in a 2 hour movie where every minute counts.

They are allowed more freedom on cable channels for sex, violence, swearing. They will take it. I find some sex scenes useless in Banshee or Game of Thrones. When you have dragons you don't need sex too ;) Heck I think Thrones kills off some stars just for shock effect. But I didn't mind the drugs so much in Robot because it is more along Sherlock Holmes plotlines. And the sex lives of each charactoer are more a barometer of the type of people they are.

I tend to agree they use sex, violence, drugs, swearing too much in films nowadays for attracting eyeballs and for shock effect. Get used to it. I knew many would not like their hero (or anti-hero) doing drugs in Robot, it might be an irreconcilable flaw for them but I think it fits the bad options he chooses in life and mimicks a Sherlock Holmes type character plotline (brilliant puzzle solver with drug issues). Since Elliot narrates the story (not Watson), perhaps we (the viewer) are his imaginary Dr. Watson following him around.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I assumed the drug house trip never happened. He just imagined it while in the hotel room.

An anti-social nerd isn't suppose to have three women as his best friends!

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
I thought the entire scene during his withdrawals in episode four was fantastic. Both in terms of pure entrainment value and cinematography.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I've talked to a few geeks from our IT dept about the show. They really like it but think the show is good enough to stand on it's own without the sex and drugs sidelines, so I understand Blueline Bomber's reservations better. But they won't stop watching, just hoping they don't amplify those angles more if they don't have to. Personally I've dumped on other shows for doing it, I guess I discount the practice when it's shows I like ;)

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't think there has been an episode I haven't liked yet but that was a great episode.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I find the characters in fsociety to be kinda of underwhelming, outside of Mr. Robot and Darlene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad